Hmmm...Doom3 only on Xbox?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hmmm...Doom3 only on Xbox?

Microsoft is really ****ed if they succeed with this. Hopefully it's just not even true

Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Bad news if it's going to happen.
    Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
    Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Supposedly they mean xbox exlcusive as it being the only console ported to, thus 'exclusive' exlcuding the PC release.

Comment

Microsoft is offering lots of money to id to make an exclusive Doom III Xbox port (id hasn't decided yet if they will do so)
        The "port" emphasized by me. Shouldn't effect the PC version. It'd probably be a pain in the butt to port to non-PC hardware anyway.

Comment

yeah, QuakeII on PlayStation for example is based on totally different engine than pc version...

Comment

That's how I read this too. From what I've read on John Carmack's ideas of consoles porting, so far I only saw that "they weren't planned yet, and he could only see the Xbox as a viable platform to make a reasonable port in terms of hardware". By any means, making a Console exclusive port of Doom3 "Only On Xbox" has no effect on the games PC-status.

Comment

Originally posted by Kris1
              ...he could only see the Xbox as a viable platform to make a reasonable port in terms of hardware".
              XBox is more or less a PC (x86) with a stripped down Windows, and a modified USB port (at least the connector) and some other modifications, so don't worry.
              cu/2 magog - Germany - flying with OS/2 Warp speed...in a vehicle named eComStation (eCS)
              ---
              Author of the Java Movie Database - http://www.jmdb.de
              JMDB v1.35 FINAL is available (2007-09-20)
              Homepage: http://www.juergen-ulbts.de/

Comment

Considering the supposed machine requirements to run Doom III, will an Xbox really be up to the job
                When you own your own business you only have to work half a day. You can do anything you want with the other twelve hours.

Comment

Originally posted by Taz
                  Considering the supposed machine requirements to run Doom III, will an Xbox really be up to the job
                  Well considering it only renders at 640x480 and dumps it out to a TV tuner Chip for higher Res in HDTV mode I think it wont have too much of a problem and add in that they can optimize it just for the Xbox hardware...it should run ok.
                  Why is it called tourist season, if we can't shoot at them?

Comment

"XBox is more or less a PC (x86) with a stripped down Windows, and a modified USB port (at least the connector) and some other modifications, so don't worry."

HA ! I should know, as that's the sole reason why I bought one. My DVD player died a couple of months ago, so I bought an Xbox, modded it, and installed Xboxmediaplayer on it. Not entire bugfree as yet, but it already does an amazing job playing anything from VCD, SVCD, DivX, ....... to DVD of course. Best thing is, I found a Samsung 606-equipped Xbox, so it reads any kind of cd/dvd you throw at it and not _just_ DVD and CDRW. And with network support, I can stream videos from my PC even using a WAN port. In terms of flexible "abusable" hardware, the Xbox is quite a nice machine I say.

Comment

ROFL.

You actually thought that it WOULDN'T be on the PC?

Carmack has HOW much money already, you think MS can buy his allegiance? ROFL.

Ok, as for exclusive ports, the PS2 hasn't got the juice to run Doom3 unless it were turned way down, and GameCube hasn't got the storage capacity unless you put it on multiple discs... so MS is wasting their money. But hey, let them spend it.

I have spoken.

- Gurm
                      The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
                      If only life were as easy as you
                      I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
                      If only life were as easy as you
                      I would still get screwed

Comment

Carmack has said a Radeon 8500 and a decent CPU is suppposed to be able to run it at ~30 fps, so an X-Box port, if optimized for it's specific hardware, shouldn't be an issue performancewise.

Comment

hmmm, ID spend all that time developing an OPENGL game and then they throw that out and start on directx port....HaHaHa.

Of course its coming out on the PC, which consoles its going to come out on is another question..

Comment

Originally posted by Kris1
                            "XBox is more or less a PC (x86) with a stripped down Windows, and a modified USB port (at least the connector) and some other modifications, so don't worry."

HA ! I should know, as that's the sole reason why I bought one. My DVD player died a couple of months ago, so I bought an Xbox, modded it, and installed Xboxmediaplayer on it.
                            I modded the XBox of a friend (I don't have one). He is using it 98 % of the time as a video player and 2% as video game console.
                            He's playing PC games on a 22" CRT so no need for a big tv-set.

I already have a EPIA M9000 box for video - but the high quality DivX and Xvid can't be played (video and sound out of sync).
                            Via is working on a solution for MPEG4. Let's see how long it will take.

The EPIA is equipped with a DVB (Digital Video Broadcasting) card, so I can record the programs available via satellite - this wouldn't work with the XBox.
                            cu/2 magog - Germany - flying with OS/2 Warp speed...in a vehicle named eComStation (eCS)
                            ---
                            Author of the Java Movie Database - http://www.jmdb.de
                            JMDB v1.35 FINAL is available (2007-09-20)
                            Homepage: http://www.juergen-ulbts.de/

Comment

Working...
                            X