Reformatting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reformatting

I'm finally gonna reformat again, system has become too bloated.

I have a selection of 3 operating systems to install.
    Windows 2000
    Windows XP SP1
    Windows 2003 Server Beta

I'm running an 2.0 GHz P4, 1GB RAM, Parhelia 128.
    I use it mostly for programming and gaming.
    The most important is a stable system and snappy performance.

Which one do you guys recommend?
    <font size="-4">User error:
    Replace user and try again.
    System 1: P4 2.8@3.25, P4C800-E Deluxe, 1024MB 3200 CL2, 160+120 GB WD, XP Pro, Skystar 2, Matrox Parhelia 128R, Chieftec Dragon Full Tower (Silver).
    System 2: P4 2.0, Intel 845, 1024MB Generic RAM, 80GB WD, XP Pro, Promise Ultra133 TX2, GF3 Ti500. Resides in a neat Compaq case.
    </font>

Windows XP SP1 is the best of the 3 in my opinion.

You don't want to be running a beta version of windows, so windows 2003 Server Beta is out. (you asked for stable)

Out of WinXP and Win2K, WinXP has slightly better gaming support, however you won't notice unless you play older games.

With either WinXP or Win2k, you will get excellent performance on your rig. Choose the one you like best, or just use XP if your too lazy to make your own choice
    80% of people think I should be in a Mental Institute

Comment

Actually, the latest build of 2003 server is hella stable. I'm running it on my server at home, and it had 3 weeks of uptime going (installed it 3 weeks ago), right up until we had a power failure last night. The way it was going, it could go many months between reboots.

However, it is still beta (well, not really beta, I'm using a post-rc2 build, so it's pretty damn near gold code), so driver support isn't there for spankin' new hardware, and it's not really tweaked for gaming/multimedia. So, for your purposes, I'd go with XP.
      Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard coated bastards with bastard filling. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive, bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine. -- Dr. Perry Cox

Comment

Windows 2000 SP3 in my opinion. DZeus and Gurm will certainly disagree.

Unless you like cleartype, searchdog, GUI, multiple logon users and don't need better old game compatibility, stay from XP.

Comment

I've tried 2000 and 2003 server today.

2000 broke down on me when I installed VS.NET, broke the Windows Installer and I couldn't start any programs anymore!

2003 works flawlessy, but unfortunately so does my DVB-S card not work in it, I get a 'Code 37' on it.
          It's a Skystar2, anyone used any of those in Win2k3?

Think I'll give 2000 a try again.
          <font size="-4">User error:
          Replace user and try again.
          System 1: P4 2.8@3.25, P4C800-E Deluxe, 1024MB 3200 CL2, 160+120 GB WD, XP Pro, Skystar 2, Matrox Parhelia 128R, Chieftec Dragon Full Tower (Silver).
          System 2: P4 2.0, Intel 845, 1024MB Generic RAM, 80GB WD, XP Pro, Promise Ultra133 TX2, GF3 Ti500. Resides in a neat Compaq case.
          </font>

Comment

Personally I'm an XP fan, good security, stability, and also wonderful compatability, what more could one ask for...and expect to get

~Sethos
            "...and in the next instant he was one of the deadest men that ever lived." – Mark Twain

Comment

*ahem*

1. Windows 2003 Server is out of beta. It's done. RTM. Final. Official. You can't buy it yet, but it's done. Don't install a beta!

2. Windows 2000 has ZERO advantages over XP, except slightly improved RAID speeds.

USE XP PROFESSIONAL.

I have spoken.

- Gurm
              The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
              If only life were as easy as you
              I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
              If only life were as easy as you
              I would still get screwed

Comment

Working...
              X