Moire adjustments?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moire adjustments?

I just got a Samsung XIOD 29EF19, which is great (it does up to 1600*1200 @75Hz) except I can't quite cure the moire. Text is fine and clear (I usually use 1280*1024@85Hz because I am very sensitive to lower refresh rates) but certain greys and whites can have a noticable moire effect. I can reduce it somewhat, but at the expense of a small amout of text claity.

Is there a set procedure I should go through to help, or am I stuck with it? Should I return it and risk another, or change to the iiyama 1451, which is a simillar price.

TIA.

T.

BTW, I'm not using the supplied .inf (no floppy drive atm and they aren't on the net yet), if anyone thinks this will make a difference.
    FT.

Download nokia monitor test from reactor critical.

Use moire patterns and adjust.

Usually with moire you have to strike a balance (correct one problem at the expense of making another).

I don't think .inf will make much difference.

Comment

Cheers M8. That helped me get the geometry set up much better, and I think I've got the moire to a point where I can hopefully forget about it

Cheers.

T.
      FT.

Comment

Generally monitor should be in Pitagoresque triangle ratio (3x4, diagonal = 5)

I do measure picture and adjust it so that width versus height is in 4 by 3 ratio.

Except for widescreen and 1280x1024, which is 4-5 ratio.

Comment

Before using ntest, I used the driver controls to make the picture fill the signal area, and then used the monitor size controls to fill the viewable area. I then used ntest to fix various geometry probs.

I'll measure it and see where I'm at.

Cheers

T.
          FT.

Comment

Pretty much all moire controls reduce sharpness (except Eizo's, but that's another league ), so it seems you're stuck with it.

Iiyama has great pickup service (at least here in germany): They pick your defective monitor up and leave you a monitor of the same size for the few days it takes them to repair your monitor, then return it to you.

AZ
            There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

You almost always get moire with CRT monitors. It´s intrinsic to its design. Maybe at only one resolution, with one shade of gray, but you never can get rid of it.

Now that LCD´s are quitely replacing CRT monitors, moire will be a thing of the past.

Comment

Originally posted by az
                Iiyama has great pickup service (at least here in germany): They pick your defective monitor up and leave you a monitor of the same size for the few days it takes them to repair your monitor, then return it to you.

AZ
                In the UK it's a swap service. New monitor first time after that it's a replacement "repaired unit" or one that just gets through the tests thats been returned.
                Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
                Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Sadly, monitors aren't all they're cracked up to be. A lot depends on your house, the wiring, etc.

I bought a Cornerstone, and just COULD NOT get the linearity right. Moving it to a different part of the house helped somewhat, but not entirely.

They replaced it... wasn't the monitor. It was the wiring here.

So I got an el-cheapo Samsung 955DF. It's ... acceptable, at least at 1152x864. *shrug*

When we move I'm getting an LCD.

I have spoken.

- Gurm
                  The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
                  If only life were as easy as you
                  I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
                  If only life were as easy as you
                  I would still get screwed

Comment

Even better

AZ

Comment

Erm, that was in reply to the Pit.

I'm getting a TFT also, once I can afford it. My current Iiyama MA901U (Pro 452 or Pro 451, can't remember) is giving me a headache.

AZ

Comment

Working...
                      X