PDA Phone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PDA Phone

Ok, I want a cell phone. And I want it to be a PDA (so I don't have to carry around 2 seperate items). But I have a lot of specific requirements I want as well...

-I'd really like a Windows PDA-Cell phone, but I can't find one with...

-A built in keyboard. I know how to use the stylus, but I just prefer the keyboard...I can type faster than I can write.

-Of course it has to have a good color screen

-It has to have memory slots and standard ports to hook up peripherals to (I'm interested in getting some things to hook up to my car's ECU by using my PDA)

-Of course, it has to be able to synch w/ my PC

-It has to have a fast processor. Fast enough to watch some DivX videos on, and play some GOOD games.

-Has to come with a GOOD web browswer so I can surf the 'net (standard we pages, i hope) just using the cell phone part to connect...ie, I don't have to be on a LAN.

-If there were some kind of option so I could rotate the screen sideways (so I can view things wider...great for web browsing), that would be peachy. But not required.

I saw a few Windows PDA/cell phone that I really liked, but they DIDN'T have a built in keyboard. I saw a nice Zaurus linux PDA with a built in, pull out keyboard, but it wasn't a cell phone, and now that I want to use it for my car, I'm pretty much limited to Palm OS and Windows. I saw a nice Palm Tungsten unit with a pull out keyboard, and it's a cell phone, but it's a Palm, I'm not HUGE on the OS, and I don't quite know how powerful they are.

Also, I guess I'd need a cell phone plan to go with it.

Anyone?

Comment

I don't think anything exists that matches all your specs. I'm waiting for something similar as well...
      Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard coated bastards with bastard filling. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive, bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine. -- Dr. Perry Cox

Comment

Buy a notebook, I think there are modules which allow you to make phonecalls with it

I dont think what you need will be available this year, but if you can live without the divx, there should be some things on the horizon for 2nd half this year

Comment

Siemens SX-1 is scheduled for release in Europe in June... Matches most of your specs except OS (which is Symbian), and keyboard (most likely a separate module will be available that connects to the bottom). It's tri-band so it should work on any network...

Comment

subnotebook with a gsm pcmcia card.

mfg
            wulfman
            "Perhaps they communicate by changing colour? Like those sea creatures .."
            "Lobsters?"
            "Really? I didn't know they did that."
            "Oh yes, red means help!"

Comment

You're not going to find what you're looking for. Maybe a subnotebook, but really, cell phones and PDAs are all about battery longevity these days, and playing video (from what memory?) is not reasonable. And a subnotebook isn't going to have the peripheral connectors you're looking for. Realistically, you might be looking at two or three devices.

A friend of mine just got the latest Handspring Treo. It's a color Palm device and cell phone combined. She seems to really like it. She's only had the thing for a week, but she's already pretty fast at typing by using the thumb-board. I might have gotten something like that if I didn't think Sprint PCS service sucks - it's great if you've got coverage. IF you've got coverage. Sprint's giving free unlimited data transfer right now though.
              Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Doesn't the Nokia Communicator (I think 9220) has all these features ? Again, except the OS : it uses Symbian (but from experience with my Psion, Symbian is a great OS!)

Jörg
                pixar
                Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

The closest thing you'll find in the US is the Sprint PCS phones. They've got a great Palm-phone from Samsung (i330) and a PocketPC phone from Toshiba (2032).

As for a phone with all specs ... doesn't exist here, yet. It's too bad Nokia, Siemens and Ericson doesn't make PCS phones

Jammrock
                  “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
                  –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Well from a gaming stand point with PDAs they are comming along quite nicely, but unfortunatly they are still very bad in the controls. Right now designers are still trying to figure out how to transfer the full functionaliyt of a keyboard and mouse to a styalis and maybe six buttons...I wouldn't get your hopes up for good game play at this point...but give 'em about six months to a year and you'll be there, and by that time maybe there'll be a PDA phone out with all the specs you want...

~Sethos
                    "...and in the next instant he was one of the deadest men that ever lived." – Mark Twain

Comment

agallag - They exsist, they just don't have keyboards built in. :-(

Goc - I'd need a windows (or MAYBE palm OS), and I don't want a seperate keyboard to lug around.

Wombat - I have friends with Windows based PDAs that can play video. I'd really just like to be able to play3 minute videos, etc on the PDA.

Jammarock - I'll check out those models.

All-my problem is that my old $20 organizer from years ago is finally dying (the LCD is on it's last leg), and I need something, and I've wanted a cell phone for awhile now.

Also, has anyone seen the Tungsten with the pull out keyboard? How fast is it?

Comment

Update...

Jammarock:

Samsung i330 - no built in KB

To come: gaming PDA phone?

Wombat - is this the treo your friend has?

All: I saw a Tungsten model in Staples...that basically looked like this:
                        Booming Bass. Clearest Calls. Incredibly Immersive Noise Cancellation. The most bass thumping, crystal clear, immersive noise-canceling sound is here. Palm Buds Pro was designed for people who are looking for an incredible audio experience across all types of lifestyles.

except that it had a keyboard area in the pullout instead of a grafitti area.

Also, I noticed that the Tungsten W is nice, BUT to use the built in phone, you have to plug in a headphone/mic??

Yet, another option...

Also, what apps are available for the Palm OS?
                        Any ICQ/AIM/Y!/MSN messenger compatible programs?

How well do they view "normal" web pages?
                        Last edited by Kooldino; 7 April 2003, 07:41.

Comment

Originally posted by Kooldino
                          agallag - They exsist, they just don't have keyboards built in. :-(
                          Therefore, they don't exist
                          Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard coated bastards with bastard filling. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive, bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine. -- Dr. Perry Cox

Comment

Originally posted by agallag
                            Therefore, they don't exist
                            Hehe, right you are.

Comment

Just looked at the Treo 300 during lunch...

1st let down was NO expandable memory slot
                              2nd was TERRIBLE LCD response time/clarity
                              3rd was that it just felt slow in general.

Good design, medicore execution.

Any other ideas?

Comment

Working...
                              X