Need a new PDA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need a new PDA

After about 4 years of service, my Visor Deluxe is giving up the ghost. It eats batteries like crazy, and the screen is fritzing.

Any suggestions on replacements? It did everything I needed of it, and I probably want to stick with a PalmOS device. I'd like maybe something thinner, like the Visor Edge, but they don't seem to make that anymore.
    Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Well, there are lots of new Palm devices, and I find the Sony Clie series to be the best of the lot if you want to stay with PalmOS.

If you're willing to make a change to PocketPC, for the money you can't beat a Dell Axim.

I have spoken.

- Gurm
    The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
    If only life were as easy as you
    I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
    If only life were as easy as you
    I would still get screwed

Comment

I love my 8970 PPC
      The Welsh support two teams when it comes to rugby. Wales of course, and anyone else playing England

Comment

Palm Tungstein T is a good choise

If you have good GSM coverage, then I can recomand you a Sony Ericsson P800, it's a triple band GSM phone buildt on SymbianOS and it's a very good cloen og cellularphone and palm. I have it myself....

Comment

Tungsten T seems to be good, or Sone Clie - both have Hi-Res color screens and improved sound (including mp3) support (the cheapest clie has neither color nor mp3).

The P800 is a nice smartphone with one feature that distinguishes it from the lot: A free Opera browser!

AZ
          There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

Sony has the best Palm right now. At least they're pushing the platform...

Comment

I was just gonna start a similar thread, but my needs are specific...maybe I will in a few minutes.

Comment

I gotta say that I quite like my compaq Ipaq.... The new ones with Pocket PC 2002 are a bit nicer BUT the clip/thingy that locks the stylus gives up on them after a while.... it will fall out if you turn the PDA upside down..... I have used mine a lot for the past 8 months though - its the first one I have used (apart form a jornada 'clam shell' for a while...) I have been 'assessing' this one for months for a rollout at work.

RedRed
                Dont just swallow the blue pill.

Comment

Dell Axim's have by far the best price-to-feature of all Pocket PC devices.

If you prefer Palm, get one of the new Tungsten's. They may be a bit more, but they'll have all the cool new, nifty thing people want PDA's to do.

If you want a cheap one, just good enough for addresses, calendar and the bare basics, nothing beats the Palm Zire. $99.

Jammrock
                  Ć¢ā‚¬Å“Inside every sane person thereĆ¢ā‚¬ā„¢s a madman struggling to get outĆ¢ā‚¬Ā
                  Ć¢ā‚¬ā€œThe Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

My brother bought the Zire.
                    It is really good
                    But they have really cheaped on mem :-\
                    If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

The Sony CliƩs definitely are nice.
                      A friend of me has the one with the rotatable display, built-in digicam and the 200MHz CPU. A very elegant device indeed and seems quite stable / of good manufacturing quality.

I want to buy one as well since quite some time now, but am always held back by the price in the last minute...
                      But we named the *dog* Indiana...
                      My System
                      2nd System (not for Windows lovers )
                      German ATI-forum

Comment

Sony Clies are fine, i have the PEG-T625C colour version.
                        the screen is beautiful, and the resolution great. switched off, it'll hold up a whole week without running down the batteries...in use it lasts over a day.
                        it only has Memory Stick slot tho, and that is a very big downer, a CF slot would have been nice.
                        They include a CF slot on the new Clies, but there is no driver available for it, its only available for the CF-WiFi card that Sony sell...so you are stuck with 128Mb (or 256mb if u can find them)emory stick memory...
                        PC-1 Fractal Design Arc Mini R2, 3800X, Asus B450M-PRO mATX, 2x8GB B-die@3800C16, AMD Vega64, Seasonic 850W Gold, Black Ice Nemesis/Laing DDC/EKWB 240 Loop (VRM>CPU>GPU), Noctua Fans.
                        Nas : i3/itx/2x4GB/8x4TB BTRFS/Raid6 (7 + Hotspare) Xpenology
                        +++ : FSP Nano 800VA (Pi's+switch) + 1600VA (PC-1+Nas)

Comment

Personally, i'm waiting for the next gen with dedicated video processors, or at least a resemblance to a 3D chip...XScale is said to be scalable to 800MHz!!
                          PC-1 Fractal Design Arc Mini R2, 3800X, Asus B450M-PRO mATX, 2x8GB B-die@3800C16, AMD Vega64, Seasonic 850W Gold, Black Ice Nemesis/Laing DDC/EKWB 240 Loop (VRM>CPU>GPU), Noctua Fans.
                          Nas : i3/itx/2x4GB/8x4TB BTRFS/Raid6 (7 + Hotspare) Xpenology
                          +++ : FSP Nano 800VA (Pi's+switch) + 1600VA (PC-1+Nas)

Comment

I did my research, and just got back from shopping. I came home with the Sony SJ-22. 320x320 TFT color screen (forgot the size, but it's noticibly larger than a Zire), L-ion battery, etc, $200.

I looked at some PocketPCs, too. I almost bought an Axim, but when I searched around the web, I found that although the product is good, Dell's PDA support is awful. They run CS separately from the computer division, so getting information, RMAs, or even an honest answer as to how backlogged the orders are is nearly impossible. Sorry, Dell, would've had me.
                            Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Working...
                            X