Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• safe mode with cdrom support...?

Hi

I need to be in safe mode with access to the cdrom. I forget how to do this (the shame)

I booted from the emergency disk w/cdrom support to DOS prompt, but I can't remember the command for safe mode. Could some one help?

Nick
    P4 2.8/533 on MSI 865PE Neo2 Platinum, 1G Crucial, ATI 9600 XT, 5.1 catalyst drivers, TB Santa Cruz, 80G WD 7200 ATA 100, 350W PS Win XP SP2

for safe mode you need to press F8 before the OS starts to load & you'll get the dos option screen!

Comment

One of the options is network support... cdrom support MIGHT be in there...

On the other hand, is this Win98 we're talking about? Or 2k/XP with a FAT drive? If so, just boot with the Win98 boot floppy.

I have spoken.

- Gurm
      The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
      If only life were as easy as you
      I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
      If only life were as easy as you
      I would still get screwed

Comment

I'm pretty sure you cannot access the CD-ROM drive in safe mode under Win9x. Win2K/XP will read all drives on the IDE chains, but 9x will only read the hard drives through its DOS fallbacks. If you could get it to load a dos mode cd-rom driver and mscdex it would see it, but since its safe mode, you won't be able to get those to load on boot. At least i'm pretty sure you won't.
        "And yet, after spending 20+ years trying to evolve the user interface into something better, what's the most powerful improvement Apple was able to make? They finally put a god damned shell back in." -jwz

Comment

Re: safe mode with cdrom support...?

Originally posted by oceaneer
          Hi

I need to be in safe mode with access to the cdrom. I forget how to do this (the shame)

I booted from the emergency disk w/cdrom support to DOS prompt, but I can't remember the command for safe mode. Could some one help?

Nick
          as long as your bootdisk is the same version of windows, you can try to set the path for c:\windows and all useful directories then try the command "win /d:m" (try "win /?" at command prompt). It should launch windows in safe mode and _maybe_ you'll be able to access the cdrom thanks to the cd drivers from the bootdisk. I don't have a win9x computer around to test this though...

Comment

The best way to get cdrom support under DOS mode is to boot from the floppy created by Win98.
            You're right about the windows safe mode not being able to load anything from the cdrom. Windows doesn't load any driver in safe mode (unless you specify you want the network drivers). Simply use your cdrom installation floppy disk to install the DOS drivers and safe mode should be lured into seing a cdrom drive.
            Let those who want to be simple, be simple.

Comment

It is win98se (see sig).
              I can boot into safe mode fine, then I run file checker, which tells me I have a corrupted file. I want to reload this file from the win98 CD.
              That is the problem. How to get the CD access to do this? I was pretty sure there was a command to accomplish this, but perhaps not.
              Could I use config.sys to load the dos driver before going into safe mode maybe?
              P4 2.8/533 on MSI 865PE Neo2 Platinum, 1G Crucial, ATI 9600 XT, 5.1 catalyst drivers, TB Santa Cruz, 80G WD 7200 ATA 100, 350W PS Win XP SP2

Comment

Boot from 98 CD-ROM using CD-ROM support.

Or make custom floppy/boot drive.

Comment

Kurt......Yes, I am sure that was it. I will try tonight.

I see a format C: in my future.........

Thanks all

Comment

The Win98 boot floppy should work nicely, at least as an example.

You need to have the CD-ROM driver loaded in config.sys, and then run MSCDEX to bring the drive online.
                    Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

if u know the corrupted file name .. just extract it from the cd using the extract command on the boot floooy then copy the file over the original one in dos or safe mode or watever .. or another way is to copy the contents of the win98 cd to the hard disk and let sfc restore the corrupted from the location u put ur win98 files in .. there's a browse button in sfc
                      GigaByte 6BXC, celeron300A@450, 128 Ram, G200 8M SD

Comment

Yes!!...

This worked for me:

boot to safe mode
                        copy oakcdrom.sys and mscdex .exe from the rescue disk to c:\
                        put device=c:\oakcdrom.sys /D:IDECD1 into config.sys
                        put LH c:\mscdex.exe /D:IDECD1 into auto exec.bat

Boot into command prompt only, and type win /d:m

voila, safe mode with cdrom access. Remove those two entries when done and reboot normally.

Thanks for your input

Nick

Comment

Working...
                        X