Winamp 2.9 is here!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Winamp 2.9 is here!

Yes, you heard right. No Winamp 3.1. Nor will there ever be one. 2.x it is for the time, and 2.9 brings us the Media Library (YAY!) and video playback, along with extended plug-in supprt and plans for more and more regular updates. Get the full version Here. NOTE: Broken multi monitor support, whatever that means.

The next Winamp version will be Winamp 5 (the best of 2 and 3); fast and efficient as Winamp 2, Media Library, supports both Winamp 2 and 3 Skins, Winamp 2 Plug-Ins, and no Wasabi (Happy now, Gurm? ) at first. It should be due this summer.

AZ
    There's an Opera in my macbook.

Hmmm. Good when it happens. I treated Winamp 3.X as beta anyway. I tried it, hated it, and deleted it. 'Tis a P.O.S.

Comment

Huzzah!

I have spoken.

- Gurm
      The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
      If only life were as easy as you
      I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
      If only life were as easy as you
      I would still get screwed

Comment

Originally posted by High_Jumbllama
        Hmmm. Good when it happens. I treated Winamp 3.X as beta anyway. I tried it, hated it, and deleted it. 'Tis a P.O.S.
        same here
        I'm a genie in a bottle BABY, gotta rub ME the right way!!!

Comment

I used WA3, because of the Media Library. That thing was a stroke of genius, and something I have wished for for a long time.

AZ

Comment

Looks like it's time to switch my default again

PS - MAD plug-in is a must for all you MP3, Winamp 2 users:

Jammrock
            Last edited by Jammrock; 3 April 2003, 11:09.
            “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
            –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

and turning off standard equalizer too...

Comment

Originally posted by High_Jumbllama
                Ditto.

What was the media library all about?

Comment

It's about time they did something like this. I've been wanting a media library in winamp for a long time, but there's no way I was going to run that pig called winamp3. This is the best of both worlds
                  Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard coated bastards with bastard filling. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive, bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine. -- Dr. Perry Cox

Comment

I thought Winamp3.0 was better version than 2.x 'cause the version's higher.
                    Well, isn't it supposed to be better? Then what's gonna happen to 3.0?

Comment

I also recommend installing SSRC directshow output plugin, as it provides better resampling quality than the one offered in hardware for nearly all cards, and it uses almost no added CPU overheard (as opposed to the older SSRC wave_out plugin).

after you've installed and selected the output plugin, make sure you enable hardware acceleration in the plugin's properties, as well as enabling resampling mode to the native mode of your soundcard (16/48 for most soundcards, 24/96 for Audigy2). Also set dithering to 'none' because MAD already does this for you.

I got most of this info from this thread:

edit:
                      disable hardware acceleration in out_ds if it causes audible glitches
                      Last edited by dZeus; 3 April 2003, 13:35.

Comment

Originally posted by joonie
                        I thought Winamp3.0 was better version than 2.x 'cause the version's higher.
                        Well, isn't it supposed to be better? Then what's gonna happen to 3.0?
                        Higher version number implies a NEWER version, not necessarily a BETTER version. Winamp 3 is a slow, bloated, buggy program that lacks some of the functionality of the previous version, but adds some as well.

If you're dying to find out what the difference is, go download 3 and then try 2. You'll see what I mean.

Comment

And it would be good to turn off built in winamp 2 equalizer and use this one...

or go foobar way, which will save your time for configuring player properly

Comment

I prefer my music un-equalized.

The new, improved Media Library is much better than the older one, btw. And now there's a playlist library too!

AZ

Comment

Wow, I'm impressed. The media library and the video support are both quick and well designed. Major improvement over WA3.
                              Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard coated bastards with bastard filling. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive, bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine. -- Dr. Perry Cox

Comment

Working...
                              X