Route add

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Route add

Yeah, ok, so I've had to add routes, etc before to get things working correctly here at work, but I don't fully understand what's going on. ANyone care to break it down for me?

Uh, need a little more info...

Routes for a...

Linux box, Router, Win Server, internet?

How about a brief history, and story.
    "I dream of a better world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned."

Comment

I go to the windows command prompt and type "route add" blah blah, and somewhere in there is the IP of another machine (perhaps a gateway).

Comment

It's pretty self explanatory, actually

For example:

route ADD 157.0.0.0 MASK 255.0.0.0 157.55.80.5 METRIC 2 IF 2

(which just happens to be the default values in the route help )

The above example tells the computer how to find the 157.0.0.0/8 net, and that is by asking the router on 157.55.80.5 on ethernet interface 2.

Comment

Ok, cool...but where did you get the "/8" from?

Comment

255.0.0.0 is an 8 bit mask. 255.255.0.0 is 16, and 255.255.255.0 is 24.
            Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard coated bastards with bastard filling. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive, bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine. -- Dr. Perry Cox

Comment

Originally posted by agallag
              255.0.0.0 is an 8 bit mask. 255.255.0.0 is 16, and 255.255.255.0 is 24.
              ahh, gotcha. gracias.

Comment

Working...
              X