Mandrake 9.1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mandrake 9.1

Damn it installed it to my third hard disk on my Promise tx 100 and will it boot. The onboard ide channels are full. Nope just a screen full off Lilo 99 errors.
    Looks like I'm stuck with a floppy boot system.
    Linux for the desktop not yet.
    Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
    Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

That usually means that there is something wrong with the map file. Please rerun lilo with the -v3 switch and see if you get any warnings.

Comment

How the hell do you do that striaght from bootup????
      Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

But you just said that you had a boot floppy...?

Comment

No haven't created one this time. Looks like Mandrake may have a problem with Promise controllers or the drive itself has got mangled. I'll reformat the damn thing and create a boot disk next time around.
          Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

I read a post at the mandrake club forums mentioning add on HDD controllers.

Essentialy the way the mobo reports the devices can confuse the installer. The workaround was either installing with just the boot drive present, or passing some a "reverse" command to the kernel to swap the onboard and other controller bios order.

I will see if I can find a link, edit: no go mandrakeclub forums are overloaded.

Last edited by Marshmallowman; 1 April 2003, 01:22.

Comment

Used to work fine Like how they bust it.

This present layout

winme disk 1
              winxp disk2
              poor old mandrake 9.1 disk3 on the promise.
              Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

My promise wasn't listed as suported to I didn't even try to install
                No reason to challenge fate
                If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

and whats wrong with chalanging fate..... i instaled a win NT systme on a P100 PC with only 16mb RAM... .... then i decided to see what hapens if i switch around the AT power cables.. ... it wa my only mchine back then... testing fate .... i love it
                  "They say that dreams are real only as long as they last. Couldn't you say the same thing about life?"

Comment

Mandrake is a big piece of dog turd.

I hate it almost as much as I hate Red Hat.

The fact that people say that Red Hat 8 is great matters not when 7.3 was such a horrible piece of crap.

Why can't just ONE Linux distro run as well as Solaris?

I have spoken.

- Gurm

Edit: Replaced the words "rancid dog shit" with the word "crap".
                    Last edited by Gurm; 1 April 2003, 09:14.
                    The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
                    If only life were as easy as you
                    I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
                    I would still get screwed

Comment

Phoebe beta 3 has treated me pretty well so far.

Probably will move to Redhat 9.0 for my linux box when available for free download...
                      Let us return to the moon, to stay!!!

Comment

I had great luck with Red Hat 8, Mandrake 9.1, and Xandros.
                        "I dream of a better world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned."

Comment

Originally posted by Gurm
                          Mandrake is a big piece of dog turd.

I hate it almost as much as I hate Red Hat.

The fact that people say that Red Hat 8 is great matters not when 7.3 was such a horrible piece of crap.

Why can't just ONE Linux distro run as well as Solaris?

I have spoken.

- Gurm

Edit: Replaced the words "rancid dog shit" with the word "crap".
                          I run Mandrake 9.1 on my 2nd work box and 9.0 at home. I like v9 better. 9.1 got rid of things like...tear aways. What's up with that? I've found additional other bugs as well.

But in general, Mandrake isn't bad, Gurm. Mandrake 9 is solid overall. As for it running as well as solaris...well...sure, solaris is stable, but it's not as user friendly as Mandrake, I'll say that much. Besides, Solaris is ONLY good on solaris boxes. It sucks on PC hardware.

Comment

Mandrake is user friendly as long as the nice little gui interface does what it says when it doesn't it's back down editing those little files.
                            Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Yeah, that was my problem with Mandrake.

The GUI tools did stuff that was next to impossible to undo, that I just couldn't find in any of the rc.* files ANYWHERE.

And why in ****'S NAME do you make a graphical tool that only has two options:

- On
                              - Off

If you don't intend to actually implement the "off" option?

Then I logged onto Mandrake's technical support board, and an OFFICIAL MANDRAKE REPRESENTATIVE said (to someone having my exact problem):

"I can't be bothered to tell you this. If you can't figure it out you're stupid and lame. Go away, and come back when you learn how to use our OS."

Nice attitude, ****tards.

I HAVE SPOKEN.

- Gurm
                              The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
                              I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
                              I would still get screwed

Comment

Working...
                              X