Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This is what I am working on

I can't comment on anything though.
    Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Dude. That's, like, fast.

Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard coated bastards with bastard filling. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive, bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine. -- Dr. Perry Cox

Comment

Some of the highlights are:

"The module gives the switch a total switching capacity of 720G bit/sec and 400 million packet/sec of forwarding power"

"Cisco also is releasing a high-density 10/100/1000Base-T blade with 48 autonegotiating Ethernet ports that can link with devices of varying speeds. The blades could provide desktop connectivity for 10/100 or Gigabit Ethernet client PCs, while supplying 48 volts of DC power to devices such as voice-over-IP (VoIP) phones and wireless LAN gear."

"ports that can reach up to six and 25 miles, respectively, over single-mode fiber-optic cable."

"The Supervisor 720 module is available for $28,000."

Dave
      Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Comment

How about sending a couple of 48 port switches a few dozen 10 Gb enet cards this way

Jammrock
        “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
        –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

I like fast networking! Now if only this technology was old news, if you catch my drift.

*itching some for bitchin fast intersnatch*
          Titanium is the new bling!
          (you heard from me first!)

Comment

yeh send some this way too... lots of video stuf to transport... and been thing of going on to HD,.... need bandwidth
            "They say that dreams are real only as long as they last. Couldn't you say the same thing about life?"

Comment

Sweet! I love Catalyst switches. With a couple 48 ports blades...

*drool*
              "I dream of a better world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned."

Comment

Re: This is what I am working on

Originally posted by Helevitia
                http://www.nwfusion.com/news/2003/0331cisco.html?net

I can't comment on anything though.
                you don't happen to need an external beta testing environment, do you ?

I have the problem that our Gbit network is a bit too slow for our hires film work (talking about up to 50MB per frame here)

Despite my nickname causing confusion, I am not female ...

ASRock Fatal1ty X79 Professional
                Intel Core i7-3930K@4.3GHz
                be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 2
                4x 8GB G.Skill TridentX PC3-19200U@CR1
                2x MSI N670GTX PE OC (SLI)
                OCZ Vertex 4 256GB
                4x2TB Seagate Barracuda Green 5900.3 (2x4TB RAID0)
                Super Flower Golden Green Modular 800W
                Nanoxia Deep Silence 1
                LG BH10LS38
                LG DM2752D 27" 3D

Comment

Funny you should mention that Maggi, I am actually the BETA technical contact and support

Are you streaming this video(ie; Multicast)?

Dave

Comment

not exactly streaming, although that would indeed be a nice result of improved network throughput ...

right now, we have a Dual P4 Xeon server with +1TB storage on an ICP RAID controller, feeding six workstations for high res compositing, plus a hand full of render clients, all equipped with Gbit ethernet, connected through an HP ProCurve 4108 gl switch.

Considering the file size varying from 10MB up to 50MB per frame, we have to deal with 24fps for film and 25fps for HDTV, and therefore you can easily imagine that sometimes performance is (subjectively spoken) not exactly fluid ...

Besides this environment, we also have a need to connect our film scanners (2x Spirit DataCine) and an upcoming highres color grading suite to our server, for central data pooling and easy access throughout the whole production pipeline.

So, if you see a realistic chance of colaboration, feel free to PM, so that we could go into details.

Cheers,
                    Maggi
                    Despite my nickname causing confusion, I am not female ...

ASRock Fatal1ty X79 Professional
                    Intel Core i7-3930K@4.3GHz
                    be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 2
                    4x 8GB G.Skill TridentX PC3-19200U@CR1
                    2x MSI N670GTX PE OC (SLI)
                    OCZ Vertex 4 256GB
                    4x2TB Seagate Barracuda Green 5900.3 (2x4TB RAID0)
                    Super Flower Golden Green Modular 800W
                    Nanoxia Deep Silence 1
                    LG BH10LS38
                    LG DM2752D 27" 3D

Comment

Dave, I assume you work directly for cisco? Sounds like you're working with the fun stuff. My brother is an engineer in the toronto office, so I get to hear about a lot of the cool new stuff they have. He mostly does after-sales support type stuff, but once in a while he gets to play with the new gear. For example, he just set up a call manager in his basement, which is kinda neat. I haven't yet tried to VPN into his house and make phone calls out, but we're thinking about setting something like that up.

Anyway, cool to see that 10G is making it into the real world. Maybe there will be consumer level gigabit switches sometime soon. Ask your new Linksys division to get working on that will you?
                      Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard coated bastards with bastard filling. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive, bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine. -- Dr. Perry Cox

Comment

Working...
                      X