Ultra320 Drive on an AHA-2940UW

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ultra320 Drive on an AHA-2940UW

Subject says it all. It is possible? I know full performance will be MUCH less, but I can get a 73 GB Fujitsu for less than $200. Under warrantee. Unused.
    P=I^2*R
    Antec SX1240|Asus A7V333WR|Athlon XP2200 1.80Ghz|512 MB PC2700|TDK VeloCD 24-10-40b|Samsung 16x DVD|SBAudigy2|ATI Radeon 8500 128MB|WinTV Theater|15/20/60GB Maxtor|3x 100GB WD100JB RAID0 on Promise Fastrak Lite|WinXP-Pro|Samsung SyncMaster 181T and 700p+|Watercooled

IBM Thinkpad T22|900Mhz|256MB|32GB|14.1TFT|Gentoo

Their website does not mention backwards compatability
    Fujitsu
    but...

Adaptecs 39320 ultra 320 controller supports all the protocols.. maybe the drive will support them too...
    Supports protocols Ultra160 SCSI, Ultra2 SCSI, Ultra SCSI, Ultra320 SCSI

Adaptec
    We have enough youth - What we need is a fountain of smart!

i7-920, 6GB DDR3-1600, HD4870X2, Dell 27" LCD

Comment

Typically... this sort of thing works. I can't say I've tried it specifically, but I _have_ put Ultra160 drives on a 2940UW, and it was just fine.

- Gurm
      The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
      If only life were as easy as you
      I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
      I would still get screwed

Comment

I have my Ultra320 on a 2940U2W. It should all work. You should be able to connect the Ul;tra320 to an old narrow ultra scsi too etc.
        Join MURCs Distributed Computing effort for Rosetta@Home and help fight Alzheimers, Cancer, Mad Cow disease and rising oil prices.
        [...]the pervading principle and abiding test of good breeding is the requirement of a substantial and patent waste of time. - Veblen

Comment

Re: Ultra320 Drive on an AHA-2940UW

Originally posted by PowerHungry
          Subject says it all. It is possible? I know full performance will be MUCH less, but I can get a 73 GB Fujitsu for less than $200. Under warrantee. Unused.
          Yes, it's posible!
          But you can only get 40Mbps transvers (Utra Wide SCSI) And I gues you have to use a cale witch is terminated in the end

Comment

What [GDI]Raptor said. It should work. SCSI devices maintain backwards compatibility all the way back - you could put that drive on an AHA-1542 if you wanted to (with appropriate adapter).
            Blah blah blah nick blah blah confusion, blah blah blah blah frog.

Comment

from: http://www.linuxdocs.org/HOWTOs/SCSI...O/scsibus.html

"ULTRA SCSI. Traditionally synchronous buses are clocked either on the rising or falling edge of the clock (which is normally a square wave). A recent trend has been to clock on both edges and thus double the available bandwidth. This is how ULTRA SCSI doubles the SCSI 2 "fast" speed to 20 MB/sec.

ULTRA WIDE SCSI. The same "ultra" technique applied to a (16 bit) wide SCSI parallel bus yields a bandwidth of 40 MB/sec.

ULTRA 2 WIDE SCSI. This variant introduces a new "low voltage" differential signalling (LVD) that allows the synchronous clock speed to be doubled yielding 80 MB/sec when using a (16 bit) wide bus. In this case the maximum SCSI bus length is 12 metres. To be backward compatible with ULTRA WIDE this variant can fall back to "single ended" operation. This leads to the abbreviation LVD/SE being used by adapter manufacturers. One shortcoming of this approach is that the presence of one UW device on a U2W bus will cause all other U2W devices to communicate at the slower (i.e. UW) rate. Some adapters overcome this by having separate LVD and SE physical buses on the same logical SCSI bus.

ULTRA 160 SCSI. ULTRA 160 doubles parallel SCSI bus bandwidth yet again. It uses a 16 bit wide data path, LVD signalling (see previous entry) and double transition clocking that increases the maximum synchronous bandwidth to 160 MB/sec. Additional features include cyclic redundany codes (CRC) to improve data integrity (compared with a parity bit) and domain validation which adjusts transfer rates if the error rate is too high.

ULTRA 320 SCSI. Shortly ULTRA 320 adapters will be available (disks with that interface are already on the market). This is also a 16 bit wide LVD bus that can fall back to slower speeds for compatibility with older devices. It extends the features of Ultra 160 by doubling the clock speed. Packetized SCSI which sends commands and status at full bus speed (rather than 5 MB/sec) is included. Other improvements include "quick arbitration and selection" and "read and write data streaming". Note that adapter cards using 64 bit PCI (or better: PCI-X) are required to stop the PCI bus being a bottleneck at these speeds. More information can be found at www.scsita.org. Evidentally ULTRA 640 is coming as well."

Comment

Wow, thanks for all the information everyone. The last time I was looking at SCSI, LVD was just coming out, and I was told by several people that you needed to upgrade cards for compatibility. (Now I realize that they were resellers...)
                P=I^2*R
                Antec SX1240|Asus A7V333WR|Athlon XP2200 1.80Ghz|512 MB PC2700|TDK VeloCD 24-10-40b|Samsung 16x DVD|SBAudigy2|ATI Radeon 8500 128MB|WinTV Theater|15/20/60GB Maxtor|3x 100GB WD100JB RAID0 on Promise Fastrak Lite|WinXP-Pro|Samsung SyncMaster 181T and 700p+|Watercooled

IBM Thinkpad T22|900Mhz|256MB|32GB|14.1TFT|Gentoo

Comment

Check www.storagereview.com Check their SCSI reference. Also check SCSI primer on www.arstechnica.com .

Comment

I am not so sure, My IBM 10k U160 drive DOES NOT WORK on my 2940UW. It detects the drive, but will not read from it. Upgraded to a 29160, and it works flawlessly.
                    "I dream of a better world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned."

Comment

Byock,

Dimes to dollars, you just had a termination or LVD issue.

I have spoken.

- Gurm
                      The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
                      I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
                      I would still get screwed

Comment

Working...
                      X