Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My friend the ex-smoker, breath still bad??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My friend the ex-smoker, breath still bad??

My friend smoked for over 20 years and according to her she quit almost 12 months ago. The thing is I can still smell that "smokers breath" on her when she exhales deeply around me.

Is it possible for a person who smoked for so many years still carry "smoky smelling" lungs for a long time after quitting smoking? How long does it take for the lungs to get back to the pinky fresh of a non smoker.

Thanks

Bad news Jagged the time required for the lungs to repair themselves to that wonderful pinky color is about 7 years....

~Sethos
    "...and in the next instant he was one of the deadest men that ever lived." – Mark Twain

Comment

Another reason why I don't smoke.
      Titanium is the new bling!
      (you heard from me first!)

Comment

well i smoke and i dont care .... i am a dragon i breath fire.... i have to smoke... no but deriously i have been meening to quite.... just havent ben feeling up to it yet...
        "They say that dreams are real only as long as they last. Couldn't you say the same thing about life?"

Comment

I did a google and found out it will likely take several YEARS for the smoker to eventually get back to ALL non-smoker health levels. rats.

After you quit...

Within 20 minutes : Your blood pressure and pulse rate drop to normal. Body temperature of hands and feet increases to normal.

Within 8 hours : Carbon monoxide level in the blood drops to normal and oxygen levels in blood rise to normal. Smoker's breath disappears.

Within 24 hours : Chance of heart attack decreases.

Within 48 hours : Nerve endings start regrowing. Ability to taste and smell enhances.

Within three days : You'll breathe easier.

Within two weeks to three months : Circulation improves. Walking becomes easier. Lung function increases up to 30%.

Within one to nine months : You'll cough less. Sinus congestion and shortness of breath decrease. The cilia that sweep debris from your lungs will grow back. You'll feel more energetic.

Within one year : Excess risk of coronary heart disease is half that of a smoker.

Within two years : Your heart attack risk drops to near normal.

Within five years : Lung cancer death rate for average former smoker (of one pack a day) decreases by almost half. Stroke risk is reduced to that of a nonsmoker five to 15 years after quitting. Risk of cancer of the mouth, throat, and esophagus is half that of a smoker's.

Within 10 years : Lung cancer death rate is similar to that of a nonsmoker's. Precancerous cells are replaced. Risk of cancer of the mouth, throat, esophagus, bladder, kidney, and pancreas decreases.

Within 15 years : Risk of coronary heart disease is that of a nonsmoker's.

Comment

:-Y But I'd say she might still light one up now and then.

Anyway, all the cool people were/are smokers. (jk, apologism)
            Last edited by UtwigMU; 31 March 2003, 18:18.

Comment

You got it right when you said WERE..

Let's see.. what famous people that people consider cool have died of lung cancer? Well, I can name three off the bat..

Humphrey Bogart
              John Wayne
              Yul Brynner

Can anyone else add to this one?

Comment

Working...
              X