Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• user reviews

Hello,

I noticed there is a "user reviews" section (but alas: still no reviews).

Can we all submit reviews, or does one have to register in order to do that ?
    Is it intended for computer-related reviews, or can the topics be broader than that (high-tech gizmo's) ?

Thanks!

Jörg
    pixar
    Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

I'm not to sure how the system works re who can submit I'm sure Dan can explain. As far as reviews go anything that's interesting, within the bounds of common decency

Comment

Yeah, that sounds really nice, and maybe I'd participate. But I don't know which user to review

AZ
      There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

LOL@az
        DM says: Crunch with Matrox Users@ClimatePrediction.net

Comment

Good one, az!

Jörg
          pixar

Comment

yup, go through the submit reviews procedure.
            By the end of the week, I should have a larger reviews function up - for big things/product reviews.

The user reviews can be anything from games to even a howto.

Standard html is ok, basically everything within the body tags.
            Email me the pics to include

Dan
            Juu nin to iro

English doesn't borrow from other languages. It follows them down dark alleys, knocks them over, and goes through their pockets for loose grammar.

Comment

Is it possible to have the reviews on one-page? Multi-page reviews seem pointless online
              Meet Jasmine.
              flickr.com/photos/pace3000

Comment

Well that depends how big your monitor is.

Originally posted by Pace
                Is it possible to have the reviews on one-page? Multi-page reviews seem pointless online

Comment

I tend to agree with Pace on the one-page reviews, the whole "next page" system is just an attempt to simulate the real world process of turning pages. Granted it was a needed system prior to the wide acceptance of broadband, and even 56k for that matter. *shrug* Whatever works I guess.
                  “And, remember: there's no 'I' in 'irony'” ~ Merlin Mann

Comment

Nope. Too much Text and scrolling gives you a "lost" feeling, and it makes it harder for people to bookmark just the review's verdict, for instance (even with anchor tags, which "ordinary user" know how to use them?). As a web designer, you should know this People like information to be served in small pieces, it's easier digested that way.

AZ

Comment

Perhaps .pdfs or single page version.

Comment

ARGH! No pdf please! I take back what I said about single-page reviews, but please no pdf

Seriously, I tried a single page review yesterday, and it's not that bad I guess I've just become used to turning pages.

AZ

Comment

for user reviews, you submit how you want to.
                          I reserve the right to split it into pages though for clarity. It really all depends, if it works out to 15 pages of text in word, sorry but I will probably split it down into manageable chunks.

Dan
                          Juu nin to iro

English doesn't borrow from other languages. It follows them down dark alleys, knocks them over, and goes through their pockets for loose grammar.

Comment

Aargh, word !
                            (better use a small font then )

I don't mind multi-page reviews, as long as the pages themself aren't ridicilously short and the division is meaningfull (regarding sections; e.g. the camera reviews over on www.dpreview.com : putting those in a single page would be criminal )

Jörg
                            pixar

Comment

Originally posted by az
                              Nope. Too much Text and scrolling gives you a "lost" feeling, and it makes it harder for people to bookmark just the review's verdict, for instance (even with anchor tags, which "ordinary user" know how to use them?). As a web designer, you should know this People like information to be served in small pieces, it's easier digested that way.

AZ
                              Well it really depends on the length of the article. Granted I will agree that you're "right on the money" concerning the bookmarks.

There are better ways to multi-page articles (without actually doing them), but that's neither here nor there given the nature of the reviews section.
                              “And, remember: there's no 'I' in 'irony'” ~ Merlin Mann

Comment

Working...
                              X