Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marvel G400 experiences at 89MHz??

Hey guys

My Marvel is in my file server right now running on an intel 800EB clocked at 600mhz with 640 megs of pc133 at 100mhz on an abit bx133r.

I figured I could put wasted cpu cycles to good use by using it for video rendering to free up some more time on my main toy. Not that big of a deal, but rendering my most of my projects twice on a p3-600 is a tedious excercise in patience to say the least (MPEG2 for dvd and wmv for laptop playback).

I figured to stave off an upgrade for a few more months I might go back to running the retail cpu at 800MHz, but I've never kept the marvel at 89mhz for more than just a few minutes to see if it could at least boot and load the desktop with no signs of problems a few years ago.

My BIOS has a 1/4 pci divider option, but only 1:1 or 2/3 for agp. I'm just a little paranoid of waking up one morning to find a toasted card in the slot.

any positive/negative experiences running one at that timing?
    Yes I drive a 13yr old Volkswagen; Yes I'm a dirt poor college student; Yes every tank of gas is more $$ than the value of my car, but it is FUN to drive, so I don't care about your ego or how much your car cost, if you insist on going the exact same speed in the passing lane as the car next to you for 10 minutes, stop being a self righteous ass, move the hell over and just let me by!!!

I never had a Marvel, but my G400MAX, G40016Mb SH, G400 16Mb DH, all worked happily on 89Mhz AGP settings, even more... G200 8Mb SDR worked on 100Mhz AGP!

All cards are still alive and kickin' so it's a safe bet you won't have any problems running your Marvel on 89 MHz...
    Matrox cards have/had a reputation of allowing AGP speeds over spec...

Comment

Thanks for the response Goc

The most action the card is going to see in it's current box for awhile is drawing explorer windows when I'm dealing with files, and the occasional 30 seconds or so of video previewing to check settings, so it's not going to be taxed by any applications. It's been running for about 16 hours without a prob so far so I'm less stressed about it.

thanks again for the insight
      Yes I drive a 13yr old Volkswagen; Yes I'm a dirt poor college student; Yes every tank of gas is more $$ than the value of my car, but it is FUN to drive, so I don't care about your ego or how much your car cost, if you insist on going the exact same speed in the passing lane as the car next to you for 10 minutes, stop being a self righteous ass, move the hell over and just let me by!!!

Comment

No problem. Glad to be of assistance!

Comment

I have a 32MB G400DH "non-4A version" that can run at AGP 89Mhz on an Asus P3B-F. However, the catch is that the drivers automatically "rollback" the card to AGP1x (for stability reasons).

Comment

Typing this on G400 running @ 89. No problems. Also my GeForce2MX had no problems even o'ced to 215/215.

I also heard G400 are one of the most tolerant cards for high AGP busses.

Comment

Used to run my g400 max @100MHz !
              According to the latest official figures, 43% of all statistics are totally worthless...

Comment

Working...
              X