best OS for avi playback .....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• best OS for avi playback .....

any difference between w98, w2k, wxp for playing back avi files on monitor and tv out? would one offer smoother playback over another?

BX slot 1 mobo (msi6163)

392mb sdram

celeron 600 @ 900

g400 32 mb DH ... oc with mgatweak

i'm running w98se and considering updating to wxp if there is any advantage to be gained.

thanks

I'm not sure that XP would even run on your machine, would it? W2k probably would. If "smoothness" is your only criterion, then there will probably be no difference. The big advantage of W2k is NTSC file systems, with no practical file size limitations.
    Brian (the devil incarnate)

Comment

NTSC file system, can I save PAL video on that one or do I have to convert it?
      <font size="-4">User error:
      Replace user and try again.
      System 1: P4 2.8@3.25, P4C800-E Deluxe, 1024MB 3200 CL2, 160+120 GB WD, XP Pro, Skystar 2, Matrox Parhelia 128R, Chieftec Dragon Full Tower (Silver).
      System 2: P4 2.0, Intel 845, 1024MB Generic RAM, 80GB WD, XP Pro, Promise Ultra133 TX2, GF3 Ti500. Resides in a neat Compaq case.
      </font>

Comment

Zao, that makes no difference. NTSC just lets you habe files up to two Terabytes in sizes, opposed to FAT32, where files cannot be larger than 4 GB.

AZ
        There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

Sorry, lapsus keyboardii: of course, I meant NTFS
          Brian (the devil incarnate)

Comment

ARGH, and of course, we all did the same...

AZ

Comment

I am running PAL32 on an older machine...

Sorry, this thread just made me laugh a little bit.
              WinXP Pro SP2 ABIT IC7 Intel P4 3.0E 1024M Corsair PC3200 DCDDR ATI AIW x800XT 2 Samsung SV1204H 120G HDs AudioTrak Prodigy 7.1 3Com NIC Cendyne DVR-105 DVD burner LG DVD/CD-RW burner Fortron FSP-300-60ATV PSU Cooled by Zalman Altec Lansing MX-5021

Comment

AZ

Comment

probably an insignificant consideration, but win98 is retarded when it comes to memory management compared to 2k/xp.

In my personal experience of doing any av work on 98, some background task would always kick in forcing HDD access for a memory swap or whatever during extended video playback causing an occasional studder. But the last time I did anything besides gaming on 98 was back in the EDO/pc66 RAM and PIO/ata16 hdd days, so I don't know if disk interruptions would still be a concern now, but worth noting for your celeron.
                  Yes I drive a 13yr old Volkswagen; Yes I'm a dirt poor college student; Yes every tank of gas is more $$ than the value of my car, but it is FUN to drive, so I don't care about your ego or how much your car cost, if you insist on going the exact same speed in the passing lane as the car next to you for 10 minutes, stop being a self righteous ass, move the hell over and just let me by!!!

Comment

Re: best OS for avi playback .....

Originally posted by cptpuget

celeron 600 @ 900

You're doing this on a celery? Ouch that's gotta hurt.

IMHO, it really doesn't matter, however like someone already said XP likely wouldn't run on your machine.

If it can be done at all on your machine... it will be important for you to have fast drives, using one other than the system drive for the avi's... it might be possible.

Also make sure no background programs are running... you will need all the horsepower you can muster out of that poor ole cpu!

About the best thing you got going for you is the BX board, those were known for being a very good chipset.

If you have the fast drives and the OS is tweaked for video and no background programs running and the video is still choppy or sluggish, your CPU is the culprit.

Good luck.

Comment

it runs pretty nice, actually. divx supposedly doesn't require that much in the way of resources AFAIK. and those little celerys o/c really well. before that i had a 300@450 ... no prob.

i actually only get stuttering on certain files ... and only occasionally. the system is fairly well tweaked, tho.

maybe you could recommend a nice mobo to start my upgrade with.

Comment

winXP imho would be also ok. It worked ok on my duron 600...

Comment

Yes, WinXP will be ok, I just built a Celery700 for my little brother. Of course it was an older machine (found a used MB on EBAY and throught it together) and wil be little more than an internet/email appliance, but I was surprised at the "zippiness" it had. The bigest thing is that the ram and with any video editing, the hard drive subsystem. If you can do the stuff with in WIn98 with your HW though WinXP should work just fine.
                          WinXP Pro SP2 ABIT IC7 Intel P4 3.0E 1024M Corsair PC3200 DCDDR ATI AIW x800XT 2 Samsung SV1204H 120G HDs AudioTrak Prodigy 7.1 3Com NIC Cendyne DVR-105 DVD burner LG DVD/CD-RW burner Fortron FSP-300-60ATV PSU Cooled by Zalman Altec Lansing MX-5021

Comment

As far as I see it, your question is not about editing video, just about playing back AVI-files. If it's just that, stick with Win98SE. It's superior to ME or W2K, multimedia wise. For playback alone, XP isn't worth the investment.
                            Should you wanna edit video, XP is definately worth considering, as it's very stable. And I don't see why XP wouldn't run on your system. Especially because you have a rock solid chipset. I still wouldn't trade in my 440BX for the world!
                            Last edited by landrover; 29 March 2003, 07:22.
                            -Off the beaten path I reign-

At Home:

Asus P4P800-E Deluxe / P4-E 3.0Ghz
                            2 GB PC3200 DDR RAM
                            Matrox Parhelia 128
                            Terratec Cynergy 600 TV/Radio
                            Maxtor 80GB OS and Apps
                            Maxtor 300 GB for video
                            Plextor PX-755a DVD-R/W DL
                            Win XP Pro

At work:
                            Avid Newscutter Adrenaline.