Dual DVI connectors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dual DVI connectors

Hi all, long time since Ive lurked here back when my G400Max was the lastest thing.

Anyway I need some advice, I need to spec a graphics card for some systems at work with dual DVI connectors, both supporting 1600x1200. I think from my reading of matrox's data that the Matrox Parhelia will do this. Any one care to comfim this or sugest other cards (shock horror :-) which meet this need.

Cost is as always an issue, and the Matrox Parhelia is a bit on the high side for this project so I might have to break the habit of a life time and look for non matrox cards.

We have been using G550s recently with great success but they dont do dual DVI at 1600x1200 :-(.

2d performance is the key here as they are for PCB cad terminals not games PCs

Thanks in advance, Mark Leman

3DLabs Wildcat VP560
    Blah blah blah nick blah blah confusion, blah blah blah blah frog.

Comment

From hints given re: cost. I'd say wait a few weeks before deciding.

Dan
      Juu nin to iro

English doesn't borrow from other languages. It follows them down dark alleys, knocks them over, and goes through their pockets for loose grammar.

Comment

Originally posted by Sasq
        From hints given re: cost. I'd say wait a few weeks before deciding.
        Can you drop any more of a hint? e.g. are we talking about a Matrox board or another brand.

We have been very loyal to Matrox as a make in the past due to the superb video quality on the analogue VGA connectors (and the reasonable prices). The analogue video quality is going to become less of an issue now with DVI but I would like to stick with a brand I know and trust.

As I said this is for schematic and PCB CAD workstations so 2D performance is key. Good 3d performance would never hurt though as long as the price hike is not vast.

G550s cost me ~£65+vat here in the UK (a steal for such a great 2d card) so something less than double that would be acceptable.

Mark Leman

Comment

Could you get away with one AGP card and one PCI card?
          DM says: Crunch with Matrox Users@ClimatePrediction.net

Comment

Originally posted by GNEP
            Could you get away with one AGP card and one PCI card?
            I could but it's not an ideal solution :-( I have found the 3DLabs Wildcat VP560 mentioned above for $159 or (as usual in rip of Britain) £156+VAT!!!

Looks like a good card for processional applications.

Mark Leman

Comment

Matrox is going to announce new carsd in April. As I understand it, there should be a new (trimmed down) version of the Parhelia -at a cheaper price.

The question remains availability.

If you can't wait...

Comment

Originally posted by Kurt
                If you can't wait...
                That’s a right B****r, there I was trying to get this all sorted out and ordered before the end of our financial year (ie Monday!) and now you've made me think it all through again :-) I was just going for G550s but some 20inch 1600x1200 LCD DVI panels came along at a good price and thus I was looking for a dual DVI card.

Mark Leman

Comment

Also found the

Asus V9280 VS and Asus V9180 VS

both with dual DVI, looking to see if they do 1600x1200 though and if the price is any good.

Mark Leman

Comment

I'd go with ATi if I were you (Sapphire actually if you're not in the US).

Nvidia chips are not known for good IQ at high res...

Or just get that P! If the LCD price came down you can use it to raise the price of the card you buy? Besides, 20 inchers AREN'T cheap, so I suppose a couple hundred $ difference should not be a big deal. Don't forget that hardware doesn't cost. IT maintenance does, so don't go for products that aren't either good (IQ wise) or have poor drivers (1= Nvidia, 2= ATi )

Comment

I'd wait if I were you (as someone already mentioned).
                      OFFICIAL EX- EMPLOYEE

<font size="1">"So now I'm dreaming<br>For myself I'm understanding <br>Performing there, one hundred thousand fans would gather one and all <br>And so decided, we could rule it all if we should <br>Dance all away across the greatest city in the nether world..."<p>- Central Park 09/24/03</font>

Comment

BTW, the best LCD screens atm (and at quite a good price, too, for what they offer) are NEC-Mitsubishi ones. Better than Eizo, on par with Sharp, but cheaper than both.

AZ
                        There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

hmm... Parhelia v0.5

Comment

Originally posted by Kurt
                            I'd go with ATi if I were you (Sapphire actually if you're not in the US).
                            Any suggestions on which sapphire model to look at, the www.sapphiretech.com web site leaves a lot to the imagiation :-(

Still open to suggestions : need Dual DVI, 1600x1200, 2d Performance key, 3d not so, price? well twice the g550 I had in mind at £65+vat would do :-)

Mark Leman

Comment

If 2D is important then just get the cheapest of the R300 chips: the Radeon 9500.

NB: I'm not aware of any difference in IQ over the whole R300 range but never forget that "you get what you pay for".

Contrary to what Soupy says, if you need it, get the P128 now as the next card will only be *announced*in April. Even with immediate availability you'll have to wait at least a couple more weeks for it to enter the channel (unless it's available at shopmatrox.com). OTOH if you need to *budgetize* (but you can wait a bit for the actual purchase), use the P128 as reference then wait to buy the cards. I'm sure your boss won't mind paying less than what's been planned.

Comment

Working...
                              X