Decent Backup s/w?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Decent Backup s/w?

Came anyone recommend a decent backup s/w for use on win xp.
    It will be used to backup data over a network from several machines. I would like it to be able to do this unatended.

Thank you
    Yeah, well I'm gonna build my own lunar space lander! With blackjack aaaaannd Hookers! Actually, forget the space lander, and the blackjack. Ahhhh forget the whole thing!

For home use or business?

Veritas/Stomp Backup Exec/Backup MyPC packages are pretty flexible and can backup across a network via push or pull (except for remote registry backups) to file/files on disk or spanned tapes, CDs or DVDs.
    Yes I drive a 13yr old Volkswagen; Yes I'm a dirt poor college student; Yes every tank of gas is more $$ than the value of my car, but it is FUN to drive, so I don't care about your ego or how much your car cost, if you insist on going the exact same speed in the passing lane as the car next to you for 10 minutes, stop being a self righteous ass, move the hell over and just let me by!!!

Comment

For business, but for a small (6 computer) network.
      Thanks I'll have a look at the veritas stuff.
      Has anyone used Winbackup?http://www.liutilities.com/products/winbackup/
      Yeah, well I'm gonna build my own lunar space lander! With blackjack aaaaannd Hookers! Actually, forget the space lander, and the blackjack. Ahhhh forget the whole thing!

Comment

Yes. Veritas/Stomp are the defacto backup standard. I've always used them fairly exclusively, ever since it was... err... GOD I can't even remember who first wrote Backup Exec. How sad is that?

- Gurm
        The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
        If only life were as easy as you
        I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
        If only life were as easy as you
        I would still get screwed

Comment

Originally posted by Gurm err... GOD I can't even remember who first wrote Backup Exec.
          Arcada , then became Seagate Software and finally Veritas.
          When you own your own business you only have to work half a day. You can do anything you want with the other twelve hours.

Comment

Re: Decent Backup s/w?

Originally posted by gtforty
            Came anyone recommend a decent backup s/w for use on win xp.
            It will be used to backup data over a network from several machines. I would like it to be able to do this unatended.

Thank you
            I've pretty much fallen in LOOOVE with Powerquest V2i. It doesn't have the open files problem (although there are some open files agent options on some programs), is not bothered by the operating system, can backup more than one machine at a time and here are the 3 best reason: it's FAST, FAST, FAST.

Tape is so passé now

Yo can backup over the network either on a server, NAS, SAN or any kind of USB/Firewire drive.

If your users tend to keep gigabytes of e-mails you'll want to consider this as tapes that don't cost $5000 are _very_ slow (which makes your backup window very short sometimes).

IMO, the best solution is to implement V2i to backup all the PCs on the server HDD (get a BIG and cheap 5400rpm one) then make a simple copy of the image files to tape for secure (and external) storage. Also, backing up a single or multiple but big files is mucho mucho faster than backing up many little files since it permits the tape to roll at full speed instead of doing multiple restarts.

Comment

Yes the open file is a big pain in the ass I thought Veritas suffered form that. Earlier versions certainly did under NT/win2k.
              Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
              Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Originally posted by The PIT
                Yes the open file is a big pain in the ass I thought Veritas suffered form that. Earlier versions certainly did under NT/win2k.
                You need to buy the Open File Agent to be able to backup all files, this unfortunately is sold as a seperate product
                When you own your own business you only have to work half a day. You can do anything you want with the other twelve hours.

Comment

And if you don't have it, get V2i (I should start getting fees from PQ now). It can make a complete image of the server WHILE the server is running. No downtime. It can commit to disk about anything you had running, support Oracle and whatnot (yes, I DO like the soft ).

Comment

V2i does look sweet. Too bad it does not support Netware, or linux.
                    "I dream of a better world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned."

Comment

not directly, but you can image any mapped drive.

also, _NT4_ support is only going to be implemented in v 2.0 which is coming out +/- end of may.

Comment

Does anyone have an opinion on Dantz Retrospect Single Server? How does it compare to Backup Exec for flexibility and ease of use on a small network of ten users?

Comment

Look at Legato NetWorker for enterprise backup; supports wide range of platforms. Its usually Legato and Veritas winning the large enterprise deals. They're probably too expensive and overkill for your minimal needs.
                          <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

Thanks for all the input. I will probably purchase something this coming week. I'll let you know how it works out.

Comment

Working...
                            X