Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UK supplier for DVD+/-R/RW do everything doodah (i.e. Sony DR500)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UK supplier for DVD+/-R/RW do everything doodah (i.e. Sony DR500)

Anyone know where I might find a DVD+/-R/RW do everything doodah (i.e. Sony DR500) in Britain?
    Meet Jasmine.
    flickr.com/photos/pace3000

Aria have a Sony DRU500AX that claims to be a DVD+/-R/RW do everything doodah... is that the one you were after?

Comment

Scan have it in stock for £239/£281 ex/inc. VAT. (price isn't listed on the page, click the info icon.)

http://www.komplett.co.uk says they'll have some in about this time next month, for £256 inc. VAT
      Blah blah blah nick blah blah confusion, blah blah blah blah frog.

Comment

I'd wait a month if I were you.

Sony has NOT got a good reputation as far as their burners go. While this device looks attractive, the reported success rate for backing up various kinds of things (PS2/XBOX games, for example) is really hit-or-miss, lots of people having lots of issues with lots of kinds of media, etc.

In a month, you'll be able to get the Lite-On and the LG. The LG will REALLY do everything (including DVD-RAM) and the Lite-On will be better than the Sony (24x burn, and MUCH more compatible).

- Gurm
        The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
        If only life were as easy as you
        I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
        I would still get screwed

Comment

Yummy
          Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
          Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

My Sony DRU500A seems to be a anomaly

Works great with everything i tested and actualy burn at 24
            If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

Technoid:

Not an anomaly... you're in the happy 50%. Typical Sony... and great for you. Doesn't mean if you bought another one it wouldn't suck, though. Which is why I avoid Sony.

- Gurm
              The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

Comment

Yup, I normally avoid Sony, however there was nothing available that would do multi formats like the 500a.
                End result - I am happy with it - I only use brand name media - not the cheap bulk stuff, and I haven't burned a coaster yet (except once when I tried to copy a file that was already in use - but this was my fault )
                Yeah, well I'm gonna build my own lunar space lander! With blackjack aaaaannd Hookers! Actually, forget the space lander, and the blackjack. Ahhhh forget the whole thing!

Comment

Yeah GTForty, I'm holding off for exactly that reason. I already have a couple copies of LOTR:TTT so I'm good for a couple more months, and by then Liteon and LG will have their models out.

- Gurm

Comment

I you're after a -R/-RW/+R/+RW, NEC do a reasonable one.
                    MURC COC Minister of Wierd Confusion (MWC)

Comment

William,

Incorrect. There was a common misconception that NEC had a drive that did all formats. In fact, it was a misprint in their manuals. I haven't found a single person (and I've looked) who actually has that magic drive, but I've talked to a large number of people who have boxes and manuals that say +R/+RW/-R/-RW and the drive won't do it.

NEC _is_ releasing such a drive, sometime "soon", called the ND-1300A. The mislabeled drive, for reference, was a large number of ND-1100A's.

Oops.

- Gurm

Comment

Gurm, do you know the more specific name / model number of the LG drive? Any idea how long until it will be available in stores?

I would've bought the Sony, but it's still not really available here - now DVD-RAM support does sound nice, and I might wait just a little bit longer, then..
                        Last edited by Indiana; 27 March 2003, 14:40.
                        But we named the *dog* Indiana...
                        My System
                        2nd System (not for Windows lovers )
                        German ATI-forum

Comment

NEC do have one, I do know that for a fact. I thought they had released it though. I guess I'd better go check out which was which was when.

There are far too many similar model numbers
                          MURC COC Minister of Wierd Confusion (MWC)

Comment

Originally posted by Indiana
                            I would've bought the Sony, but it's still not really available here - now DVD-RAM support does sound nice, and I might wait just a little bit longer, then..
                            You like DVD-RAM? Out of all the formats, I would say it is the most likely to die - although the 60min versions for DV cameras might last a bit longer.

PS: I think MURC had a thread about the LG drive recently, off to look...

Real DVD Combo Writer
                            Last edited by Pace; 28 March 2003, 16:21.
                            Meet Jasmine.
                            flickr.com/photos/pace3000

Comment

Indiana,

It has different numbers for different markets (I hate this practice!). Due "sometime this year", estimated street price around 400Euro.

Link: http://www.chip.de/news/c_news_9973120.html

William,

TRUST me. I looked into this extensively. There were a few people in Japan that WE THINK got 1300's that were in 1100 boxes, but they've since been yanked and not re-released.

- Gurm

Comment

Working...
                              X