Installing a forum?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Installing a forum?

I was wondering if any of the web guru's on the murc had experience installing a phpbb 2 forum, as a friend and I have uploaded it to our host www.7host.com and we are stuck at the first install page ..lol We just dont know what to put in the database section, or atleast we know some of it

any help would be grrrreaT!

I don't know that script, however the usual way is you edit by hand the config file, which you need to put your dbname, user and password into.

Usually the db will connect to 'localhost'

I'm assuming you have all the relevant DB information.

Dan
    Juu nin to iro

English doesn't borrow from other languages. It follows them down dark alleys, knocks them over, and goes through their pockets for loose grammar.

Comment

Well another forum I considered was Ikonboard, what do you think ? or would you recommend a particular forum ??

thx
      Andy

Comment

I don't really have time to go load and install them to check.

Choose a forum that suits your needs, now and soon future. Preferably one that changeing the templates isn't going to give you a nightmare. Aslo one with good user support and built-in back functions.

Don't forget visually pleasing.

Dan
        Juu nin to iro

English doesn't borrow from other languages. It follows them down dark alleys, knocks them over, and goes through their pockets for loose grammar.

Comment

I'd recommend an externally hosted and managed forum.

AZ
          There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

Re: Installing a forum?

Originally posted by 3dfx
            ...had experience installing a phpbb 2 forum...
            Yep I've installed it quite a few times, which info are you stuck on?
            When you own your own business you only have to work half a day. You can do anything you want with the other twelve hours.

Comment

I'm not sure about these 2 :

Database Server Hostname / DSN

and

Prefix for tables in database:

Comment

Originally posted by 3dfx
                Database Server Hostname / DSN
                As Sasq has already said, localhost should work

Prefix for tables in database:
                That can be anything you like, it's just what it puts at the beggining of the table names, the default of phpbb would be fine
                When you own your own business you only have to work half a day. You can do anything you want with the other twelve hours.

Comment

I have installed both the Ikonboard and the PHPBB Forums.

Personally I think that the Ikonboard forum is better and has a lot more features that you can change but the PHP one is easier to install and to start with it looks a bit better. Ikonboard actually provide managed forums, may be worth looking at what they have.

Database Server Hostname is just the IP or address for your site. (80% sure this is correct, only installed it myself about two weeks ago)

Prefix for tables is just that, the prefix. It is just the couple of letters that are put before the table names that the board creates. ie

phpbb_members
                  phpbb_posts

It isn't anything that you need to change or worry about.

Comment

Originally posted by dbdg
                    Personally I think that the Ikonboard forum is better and has a lot more features that you can change but the PHP one is easier to install and to start with it looks a bit better.
                    phpBB 2.2 could change things more info on it here http://www.phpbb.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=72574

Comment

Originally posted by Taz
                      As Sasq has already said, localhost should work

That can be anything you like, it's just what it puts at the beggining of the table names, the default of phpbb would be fine
                      If it's your fisrt forum you should also check the various sites related to securing your PHP forum. There's a number of pretty bad exploits that are easily overlooked. You should probably find enough info on the phpbb site/community.

Comment

Also take a look at invision, it is a very nice board too! www.invisionboard.com
                        -Slougi

Comment

Working...
                        X