Getting yet Another 21/22" CRT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting yet Another 21/22" CRT

I sold my Sony CRT to someone at a $20 profit and wanted to get another CRT. The Sony wasn't bad, but I wanted to get one that was just a bit better (plus I want a black one to match everything up). I was looking at this. I can get it for $600. What do you guys think?
    System Specs:
    Gigabyte 8INXP - Pentium 4 2.8@3.4 - 1GB Corsair 3200 XMS - Enermax 550W PSU - 2 80GB WDs 8MB cache in RAID 0 array - 36GB Seagate 15.3K SCSI boot drive - ATI AIW 9700 - M-Audio Revolution - 16x Pioneer DVD slot load - Lite-On 48x24x48x CD-RW - Logitech MX700 - Koolance PC2-601BW case - Cambridge MegaWorks 550s - Mitsubishi 2070SB 22" CRT

Our Father, who 0wnz heaven, j00 r0ck!
    May all 0ur base someday be belong to you!
    Give us this day our warez, mp3z, and pr0n through a phat pipe.
    And cut us some slack when we act like n00b lamerz,
    just as we teach n00bz when they act lame on us.
    For j00 0wn r00t on all our b0x3s 4ever and ever, 4m3n.

Teh winnar.

19" 930 SB BK retails for more here. For that price it's a steal, I say go ahead. Get two if you have the money, space and a card to run them.
    Last edited by UtwigMU; 26 March 2003, 13:26.

Comment

Anyone else own that monitor?
      System Specs:
      Gigabyte 8INXP - Pentium 4 2.8@3.4 - 1GB Corsair 3200 XMS - Enermax 550W PSU - 2 80GB WDs 8MB cache in RAID 0 array - 36GB Seagate 15.3K SCSI boot drive - ATI AIW 9700 - M-Audio Revolution - 16x Pioneer DVD slot load - Lite-On 48x24x48x CD-RW - Logitech MX700 - Koolance PC2-601BW case - Cambridge MegaWorks 550s - Mitsubishi 2070SB 22" CRT

Comment

Do a search in arstechnica.com 's audio visual club section of forum.

I believe there are two user reviews of it there.

Comment

Cornerstone

Still the best monitors I have ever used.

Jammrock
          “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
          –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Cornerstone looks nice...why haven't I heard of them?

Comment

They are not a huge name brand, but very popular among MURCers. They make professional and corporate grade monitors, but they have great prices.

I got my Dad a 19" monitor 2-3 weeks ago for $199, with free shipping and no sales tax ... so $199 for everything.

Jammrock

Comment

I have a Cornerstone 21'..... Its great - Heavy but great!

It was made in C 1990 - cost me £100 from a computer repair shop... (21/72)

Best bit of 'old kit' I have bought..... I must say though this big boys arced a bit for the first few days, until the phosphor grains settled.... (there is No chance I am going to move it!)

I am sure you can get MUCH better ones now, as Jammrock has linked to....

RedRed
                RedRed
                Dont just swallow the blue pill.

Comment

Cornerstone is a great monitor. We used a ton of them at American Express. And if they can survive that group of unwashed Monkeys, they must be good.
                  "I dream of a better world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned."

Comment

Well the P1750 uses a Mitsubishi tube, so wouldn't getting that be about the same as a 2070SB from Mitsubishi? Does anyone know of a review that compares these two monitors?
                    System Specs:

Comment

About every other Monitor now uses Mitsubishi (now NEC-Mitsubishi) Diamondtron tubes. The only other big OEM tube is Sony Trinitron - both are aperture grille tubes, as opposed to shadow masks. A lot of the image quality does come from the monitor electronics and fine tuning in qc, so two monitors with the same tube can yield quite different results.

AZ
                      There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

Originally posted by BuddMan
                        Well the P1750 uses a Mitsubishi tube, so wouldn't getting that be about the same as a 2070SB from Mitsubishi? Does anyone know of a review that compares these two monitors?
                        As az said, most monitors use either an NEC-Mitsubishi Diamondtron or Sony Trinitron tube. The difference comes in the electronics and parts used (yeah, some tubes are superior, but if the electronics are crap it don't matter). 5 different companies can use the exact same tube, and all can look differently, just because of the associated electronics.

The electronics used are of course based on 1) what type of user the monitor is designed for, 2) what price range the monitor will be sold at and 3) what type of profit margins you want to make.

As for comparisons, ZDNet usually has some good ones, though they mostly review LCD's these days.

Jammrock

Comment

Well which company do you guys think would have the "better quality?" The Mitsubishi costs a bit more at retail than the Cornerstone it seems, but the price difference is small. However, I don't think I can get the Cornerstone at $600 like I can the Mitsubishi...
                          System Specs:

Comment

I use NEC (now merged with the Mitsubishi display group) and I prefer the Cornerstone look and feel over the NEC-Mitsubishi. With the Cornerstone drivers installed, I have no eye strain, looks super sharp and works like a champ. However, if your budget does not allow you to get a Cornerstone over the Mitsubishi, the Mit will be a great monitor.

Jammrock

Comment

Well, is there any place where they display Cornerstones? I guess I would have to take a look at each monitor to decide as the specs are pretty much exact. Only thing Mitsubishi doesn't specify is the center/corner convergance. Plus the Cornerstone doesn't have a USB hub like the Mitsubishi which I would use (but could live without).
                              System Specs:

Comment

Working...
                              X