IBM to produce next-gen nVidia GPU's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IBM to produce next-gen nVidia GPU's

Funny, nVidia spends probably millions at TSMC to get there GefartFX produced at 0.13u, and then when the tech finally starts to mature a little they go to another producer (the one matrox should have chosen )
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    IBM and NVIDIA has announced that the two companies have formed a multi-year strategic alliance under which IBM will manufacture NVIDIA's next-generation GeForce graphics processing units (GPUs). NVIDIA's GPUs require the most sophisticated process technologies available to manufacture.

As part of the agreement, NVIDIA will gain access to IBM's comprehensive suite of foundry services and leading-edge manufacturing technologies, including power-efficient copper wiring, and a roadmap that leads to 65nm (nanometer; a billionth of a meter) in the next several years.

IBM plans to begin manufacturing the next generation GeForce graphics processor this summer at IBM's state-of-the-art 300mm plant in East Fishkill, N.Y. The new IBM $2.5 billion chip-making facility combines, for the first time anywhere, IBM chip-making breakthroughs such as copper interconnects, silicon-on-insulator (SOI) transistors and low-k dielectric insulation on 300mm wafers. The new facility began operation last year, and will ramp up in capacity throughout 2003.

Beyond the chip manufacturing technology, IBM also offers an advanced automated management system that not only controls production on the factory floor, but provides a connection for customer and supplier systems and processes, allowing closer integration across the supply chain. IBM's automated management system provides NVIDIA with opportunities ranging from improved operation to greater efficiency and competitive advantage, while using e-business techniques to adapt to real-time, on-demand influences from the marketplace.
    Main Machine: Intel Q6600@3.33, Abit IP-35 E, 4 x Geil 2048MB PC2-6400-CL4, Asus Geforce 8800GTS 512MB@700/2100, 150GB WD Raptor, Highpoint RR2640, 3x Seagate LP 1.5TB (RAID5), NEC-3500 DVD+/-R(W), Antec SLK3700BQE case, BeQuiet! DarkPower Pro 530W

Perhaps they're not panicing after all.
    Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
    Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

or just stupid.
      The Welsh support two teams when it comes to rugby. Wales of course, and anyone else playing England

Comment

Well, that's good.

Remember GF FX5200, the card that will bring us "DirectX 9 for $79" ? Um... How should I express this... It's here!

Comment

I think this is NVidias "revenge" to TSMC for the SlowForce FX flop.
          If the FX had come out at the scheduled time, it's speed would've been at least on par. Now, over 6 months later it's too slow, too loud, too expensive.

I can understand when NVidia thinks that TSMC is to blame for some of these points.
          But we named the *dog* Indiana...
          My System
          2nd System (not for Windows lovers )
          German ATI-forum

Comment

Tempest, enough for me...

now if 2d would be ok...well, it won't be

So I guess I will end up with Sapphire R9200 128mb...
            Or maybe Kyro3...(but that's a big maybe...)
            I don't think Matrox will release anything in that price range...:|
            Last edited by Nowhere; 26 March 2003, 13:01.

Comment

How good is IBM's fab in 0.13 process?? :O
              P4 Northwood 1.8GHz@2.7GHz 1.65V Albatron PX845PEV Pro
              Running two Dell 2005FPW 20" Widescreen LCD
              And of course, Matrox Parhelia | My Matrox histroy: Mill-I, Mill-II, Mystique, G400, Parhelia

Comment

I wonder if we will see closer cooperation between nVidia, AMD and IBM in the future?

edit: added the see
                Last edited by Topha; 26 March 2003, 13:45.

Comment

Why should someone have gone with IBM over TSMC? I've never worked with TSMC, but.....
                  Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

IIRC AMD has also recently agreed with IBM to share manufacturing expertise regarding chip production. (Common fab or something like that.)

Comment

It will be interestig if nVidia starts producing GPU's with SOI technology........

NV35 in may?

Comment

Working...
                      X