"A or B" Purchase in the Netherlands?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "A or B" Purchase in the Netherlands?

OK, I'll be taking 3 months leave as of the 1st of July . This time, I will really, REALLY build me a new rig. I'd like to test a Radeon 9800 Pro against a Parhelia for a few days. Anyone know a store _in the Netherlands_ where they'll allow an "A or B" purchase, i.e. you pay for 2, try them and may return 1 and get a refund?
    Umf
    Join MURCs Distributed Computing effort for Rosetta@Home and help fight Alzheimers, Cancer, Mad Cow disease and rising oil prices.
    [...]the pervading principle and abiding test of good breeding is the requirement of a substantial and patent waste of time. - Veblen

Grrrr... you cloggies really annoy me ... apart from the ones at work (anglo-dutch company), and my brother (who lives in Utrecht), we met a couple of dutch accountants when we were travelling around Chile - who had taken 3 months paid leave (from stored-up overtime) to travel around Latin America. And the best thing? As they were going away for long enough to rent out their flats to other people, the whole exercise (given the cost of living even in hostels etc in S Amer) meant they were saving significant amounts of cash! If only I could do the same thing in Britain...
    DM says: Crunch with Matrox Users@ClimatePrediction.net

Comment

sorry Um, dont know any, if you find one let me know.
      Main Machine: Intel Q6600@3.33, Abit IP-35 E, 4 x Geil 2048MB PC2-6400-CL4, Asus Geforce 8800GTS 512MB@700/2100, 150GB WD Raptor, Highpoint RR2640, 3x Seagate LP 1.5TB (RAID5), NEC-3500 DVD+/-R(W), Antec SLK3700BQE case, BeQuiet! DarkPower Pro 530W

Comment

If you have good relations with a certain store, you might be able to do such things. I have purchased a number of systems at the same store; the guy knows me; orders things he usually doesn't deal with for me and allows me to test certain hardware...
        So while I don't always pay the lowest price (all beit not that much more), I gladly go back there...

edit: it doesn't hurt to ask if you could test hardware ...

Jörg
        Last edited by VJ; 26 March 2003, 14:12.
        pixar
        Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

You could also arrange to bring in your own rig for the testing if you know the guys.

If I were you I'd call or personally ask in a few stores.

For instance, once I suspected borked SCSI cable for my termination problems. I arranged to pay for the cable, try it and if the problem persisted to take it back.

However lowest price online dealers will likely not agree to that. Best bet is retail store.

If I were buying a Parhelia I'd definitely give it a test drive. If I am to lay down what is little bellow average monthly salary for a videocard, I expect to be able to test it, similarly to being able to test drive a car prior to purchasing.
          Last edited by UtwigMU; 26 March 2003, 17:51.

Comment

Good relations and me...ummm, no.

I hardlyt buy stuff, and did that at various stores, so that may not work. I will try though, there is a new store in town that looks decent. And it will be part of a lot more, so that may help as well I hope.

Funny thing is, with audio, I know a number of stores that'll do A or B purchases.

Knirfie, If I do find one, I'll let you know. You might have to drive to Zaandam for the one I'm considering though.

In any case, if anyone does know such a store, pls let me know.
            Umf

P.S. Oh, and GNEP:
            Join MURCs Distributed Computing effort for Rosetta@Home and help fight Alzheimers, Cancer, Mad Cow disease and rising oil prices.
            [...]the pervading principle and abiding test of good breeding is the requirement of a substantial and patent waste of time. - Veblen

Comment

You might try a german internet shop - we have a law here that all online/phone shops MUST take any item (with some exceptions, i.e. food, maybe CDs) back for a full refund within the first two weeks, no questions asked. This does not only apply to stuff you return unopened, but also to stuff you tried and didn't like (provided you didn't damage it). Don't know if this only applies when they're shippng inside germany, but you might have a friend here, we're neighbours, after all

AZ
              There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

A lot of places do allow you to return the hardware, but if opened you are usually liable to a handling charge. The handling charge is what they decide and I know that my local computer shop charges 20% of items value on return and even then they have to test before you get your money back.

I'm not sure if you would agree but the best way to do it would be buy the Parhelia and then take it home and test it, if you dont like it then take it back and say that it doesn't work with your computer and as long as you meet the specs on the box, ie AGP and stuff then they shouild replace it. As it is a fact that the Parhelia has problems with some mobo's It is more than likely that they will just send it back to the supplier anyway

Comment

AZ, thanks for the tip. I am a bit anxious to go through all the hassle of shipping stuff back and wait if the refund comes in. How can I find out if that law will work for us Dutchmen as well? I could try Alternate I guess.

3dfx, 20% on a parhelia is _a lot_ just to have a try, especially if such store would be guaranteed that I'll take either the P or the R9800 from them.

Besides, there is only _one_ thing in my life I have lied about (well, as of the age of 16 in any case), and I am simply not the kind of guy that would pull such a stunt, not even on a capitalist computer shop . But if a lot of places do that, than I should really ask a store instead of here I guess....
                  Umf

Comment

Did you try calling a few shops and asking what they think?

For instance most of brick and mortar (not computer, clothes, shoes, other stuff) stores are keen on making deals as long as they expect sale. Not everyday do they sell a Radeon.

On the other hand internet shop will likely charge higher fee and shipping is also expensive. Netherlands is a small country, I understand shipping in USA and even then they order online because of shipping, not because they look important to neighbours when FedEx brings something.

If I were you I'd call or take a walk across some stores and also e-mail a few online shops.

Comment

Originally posted by Umfriend
                      AZ, thanks for the tip. I am a bit anxious to go through all the hassle of shipping stuff back and wait if the refund comes in. How can I find out if that law will work for us Dutchmen as well? I could try Alternate I guess.

3dfx, 20% on a parhelia is _a lot_ just to have a try, especially if such store would be guaranteed that I'll take either the P or the R9800 from them.

Besides, there is only _one_ thing in my life I have lied about (well, as of the age of 16 in any case), and I am simply not the kind of guy that would pull such a stunt, not even on a capitalist computer shop . But if a lot of places do that, than I should really ask a store instead of here I guess....
                      Umf
                      If you can't find it the Neds, send me an e-mail when the R9800 is out. I'm in Brussels so either I can figure out a cheap way to send it to you (I've got relatives in Eindhoven) or you can drop by for a beer

Last I checked I can have the P128 Retail for 415 € VAT incl. + shipping. Since it's the price at which I buy it you'd have to pay for the shipping from the distributor to me, but I don't buy just one item from them normally so I can probably attribute the cost elsewhere unless I really don't need anything...

Comment

Kurt, thx. I will remember!

Comment

Originally posted by az
                          You might try a german internet shop - we have a law here that all online/phone shops MUST take any item (with some exceptions, i.e. food, maybe CDs) back for a full refund within the first two weeks, no questions asked. This does not only apply to stuff you return unopened, but also to stuff you tried and didn't like (provided you didn't damage it). Don't know if this only applies when they're shippng inside germany, but you might have a friend here, we're neighbours, after all

AZ
                          we sort of have the same here, but it's 8 days, and a lot of shops dont accept it, but officially it is a law here.
                          Main Machine: Intel Q6600@3.33, Abit IP-35 E, 4 x Geil 2048MB PC2-6400-CL4, Asus Geforce 8800GTS 512MB@700/2100, 150GB WD Raptor, Highpoint RR2640, 3x Seagate LP 1.5TB (RAID5), NEC-3500 DVD+/-R(W), Antec SLK3700BQE case, BeQuiet! DarkPower Pro 530W

Comment

Working...
                          X