Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DVD Question

Ok I've got a question:

I am going away to university semi soon and I want to take some movies with me for those off times. I don't want to bring the originals b/c of the theft issues...so what I want to do is copy them to cd (don't have a DVD burner) and was curious what piece of software is quick and simple that does the job well?

There are some that I've heard about that'll copy it to two cds and all that kind of thing or one and saccrifice quality, so what I'm hoping for is one that will copy to one CD without giving up to much on the quality end...

any help there would be appreciated...

~Sethos

PS. Also looking for same basic type of software for VHS to CD if anyone knows of anything out there...
    "...and in the next instant he was one of the deadest men that ever lived." – Mark Twain

There is NO WAY to get a DVD movie onto one CD without sacrificing serious quality.

You CAN get it watchable, certainly, if you encode for DIVX.

But then you have to play it in your computer, not your set-top box (although there is now a program for the PS2 to watch DIVX's).

The steps are (roughly):

1. Rip movie (using Clad DVD or some other ripper that takes away the CSS protection).

2. Encode the video VOB file to either AVI (using virtualdub) or MPG (using TMPGEnc).

3. Burn to CD.

That's the basic steps. I could go at length into more detail, but basically you have to decide how much quality you're willing to forego. Your average DVD movie (less than 2 hours) can be dropped nicely onto two SVCD's with little quality loss (at least nothing you'd see on your average dorm TV).

- Gurm
    The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
    If only life were as easy as you
    I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
    If only life were as easy as you
    I would still get screwed

Comment

Re: DVD Question

Originally posted by Sethos
      PS. Also looking for same basic type of software for VHS to CD if anyone knows of anything out there...
      Ars Technica is running a series of articles on this very topic. http://www.arstechnica.com - look at the top of the right-hand sidebar.
      Blah blah blah nick blah blah confusion, blah blah blah blah frog.

Comment

Here's a first article in the series of video editing / capturing articles on arstechnica.

I also recommend www.doom9.org

Comment

Hey thanx for the start, I'll check all of this out

~Sethos
          "...and in the next instant he was one of the deadest men that ever lived." – Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
          X