Metal Gear one, no go on Parhelia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Metal Gear one, no go on Parhelia

Hi, with the upcoming release of metal gear 2 on pc i thought i would dig out metal gear solid 1 on pc.

My mouth watered thinking about playing it at a high res with full anti aliasing..

but it wont go.. just says that my hardware wont support its 3d functions or somethign, says it will run in software mode tho.. then does nothing at all

found this reference

but it doesnt look liek good news..
    wondered if anyone else had come across it or knows anything?

Thanks
    Colin B
    Windows XP Pro + SP1 - Pentium 4 3.1gig - 1024mg DDR 333 2 cas - Thermaltake Xaser Case - Parhelia 128 - 3x Phillips TFT Monitors - Audigy 2 Platinum - 6.1 surround speakers - RTx100 - 5 HD 7200rpm (420gig) - Pioneer A03 - Partridge in a pear tree

Metal Gear 1 (mentioned in topic) != Metal Gear Solid 1 (mentioned in post). And Metal Gear 2 never was a PC game (both Metal Gear 1 and Metal Gear 2 are MSX computer/NES games).
    So it's more like Metal Gear Solid or MGS (MGS2) - not 'or Metal Gear'

Comment

pih-lease dont tell me your picking me up on that minor detail...
      Windows XP Pro + SP1 - Pentium 4 3.1gig - 1024mg DDR 333 2 cas - Thermaltake Xaser Case - Parhelia 128 - 3x Phillips TFT Monitors - Audigy 2 Platinum - 6.1 surround speakers - RTx100 - 5 HD 7200rpm (420gig) - Pioneer A03 - Partridge in a pear tree

Comment

Ok, the games i am refering to are.
        Metal Gear Solid and the upcoming Metal gear Solid 2: Substance released on 28/03/03

Incidently my freind has the two original games you mention on his pc (msx emulater) so in a way, they are now pc games

Anyway enough of this trivial detail

can anyone help me? I can emulate old mgs games but i cant run the pc specific MGS??

booooooo

Comment

- ok, just kidding there a little

seriously...I wouldn't count for easy solution to your problems...
          I don't know about mgs, but in the readme of mgs2 there is a line "supported gpu: gf256...(and up)". No mention about ATI - and AFAIK ATI boards have little problems with the game - no 32bit for example. It will be fixed by patch eventually...

I guess the same applies to parhelia...

btw, it's very strange that it doesn't run in software mode even...reinstall maybe?

Comment

Hi, Guess ill just have to resign myself to the fact it wont run

Do you have mgs2 on pc? with you mentioning the readme?

How is it compared to ps2, is there any slowdown like ive heard there is on the xbox game? (during the rain on the tanker apparntly)

Comment

LOL.. I just did the same thing lastnight ..hehe and it runs really badly on my Radeon 9700. Though it runs like a dream on my sisters Voodoo Banchee I'm about to get a copy for my Dreamcast, I know you are going to say that it is Playstation only ..hehe but I'm going to be using that bleem software. I have the opportunity to buy both of this guy on Ebay for £22.50

Oh and there is talk of a remake of the original guys, it is undecided whether it will be a Gamecube or Xbox game. Though I think Nintendo got the rights Though the xbox is getting Metal gear X: Patriots

Comment

Well i just got back from dinner and bought raven sheild.. think i might get xbox version of metal gear2

I heard msg3 was called patriots but i didnt know it was on xbox.. is that confirmed???

Comment

Well there is a lot of debate, though Konami did mention a couple of months back that it would be an xbox exclusive, though that they also wanted to develop a MGS game for the Gamecube. The Gamecube game should be in the form of a remake of the original which imo is still one of the best games out there

I have MGS: substance for my Xbox and it rules m8, I would even go as far to say that the controls are better with the S:controller than the Dual Shock. Plus you have 5.1 support

Comment

hmmm so much choice.. if i get xbox version then its on my tv no hassle and 5.1 surround.. but ive heard it slows down mor ethen ps2....

if i get pc.. no doubt surround sound and i can run it in higher res.. but dont know if it will run smoorh and correctly..

if i get it on ps2. i know what to expect and you get the the skateboarding bit.. and the making of dvd (though i was gonna get the from a friend and 'back it up'

but that would mean fixing my ps2 or getting a new one (somethings bust in the back and i get a red picture, been through 3 scart leads all the same)

so many desicions.. plus i need to get doa3x volley ball on fri.. i just got panzer and shenmue on xbox.. cant wait to try them out

Comment

I have had it on my xbox for a couple of days now and I have almost completed it and I admit that there is a little slowdown, but you have to remember that this game was designed to take advantage of the PS2 hardware from the ground up. If you already own the original MGS:2 for PS2 it isn't worth the upgrade imo. Though trust me for a little slowdown you are getting so much more. Sharper gfx and 5.1 sound, and the slowdown isn't really noticeable and I think that this game was meant to be pld in 5.1 with all the epic music etc

Oh and both Shenmue 2 and Orta ROCK! you have good taste in games CMB, much like myself ..hehe

Comment

Thanks, nice to know theres a kindred sprit out there.

I love games with epic stories, and metal gears music is awesome.

When the trailer hit e3 for mgs2 i was gobsmacked and imported the japanese trailer dvd. and watched it none stop till i got the game... all this obsession and i still havent completed mgs1 . must dig out my ps1 sometime soon and finish it off, since i wont get the chance on pc.. sniff..

Ive been neglecting my xbox of late, been to busy playing battlefielf 1942 and jedi knight on pc.

I was also bitterly dissapointed with unreal 2... i hope doom 3 lives up to the hype..

So how long to wait till mgs3...

oo and can you confirm... does the xbox version of mgs2 have all the depth of field effects the ps2 uses in the cut scenes?

Comment

Yeah it does have the depth of field effects
                          As for MGS 3 well I'm sure we should hear about it at the up and coming E3 event, in which case it is likely to be a while before it hits the shelfs. I would say that the original MGS was better on the PS1 than the PC anyway. Ok, dont get me wrong you can play at a higher rez and sharpen the gfx, but that is the problem. The PC shows up all of the bad textures and the poor software rendering of the PS1, and on top of that this game was meant to be pld with a controller

It would have been cool if they built MGS:1 in as a secret in substance, a bit like including the original panzer dragoon in ORTA.
                          Last edited by 3dfx; 26 March 2003, 08:51.

Comment

3dfx,
                            and on top of that this game was meant to be pld with a controller
                            You mean you don't have any controllers hooked up to your PC? They are a must for EA sports games. Directplay supports something like 16! The Thrustmaster Dualpowers totally rock... they are like the PS2 controllers but slightly bigger and with a much better D-pad!

CMB,
                            I have no idea why it does not work with the Parhelia. It worked perfectly well on my g400 max.

Comment

yeah, worked fine on my g400 too

Comment

Working...
                              X