Dolphins in the Military!?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dolphins in the Military!?!

I couldn't believe it when I saw it, but it seems like Dolphins are being used to help locate mines. It says that they have been used by the military since the 1970's!

I wonder how long it will take PETA to condone the military for using dolphins in this manner.

MSNBC breaking news and the latest news for today. Get daily news from local news reporters and world news updates with live audio & video from our team.

Moderators, if this belongs in the Temp Forum, my humble apologies, and please move it.
    Last edited by mmp121; 25 March 2003, 14:00.
    Go Bunny GO!

Titan:
    MSI NEO2-FISR | Intel P4-3.0C | 1024MB Corsair TWINX1024 3200LLPT RAM | ATI AIW 9700 Pro | Dell P780 @ 1024x768x32 | Turtle Beach Santa Cruz | Sony DRU-500A DVD-R/-RW/+R/+RW | WDC 100GB [C:] | WDC 100GB [D:] | Logitech MX-700

Mini:
    Shuttle SB51G XPC | Intel P4 2.4Ghz | Matrox G400MAX | 512 MB Crucial DDR333 RAM | CD-RW/DVD-ROM | Seagate 80GB [C:] | Logitech Cordless Elite Duo

Server:
    Abit BE6-II | Intel PIII 450Mhz | Matrox Millennium II PCI | 256 MB Crucial PC133 RAM | WDC 6GB [C:] | WDC 200GB [E:] | WDC 160GB [F:] | WDC 250GB [G:]

Yup, they use them to search for scuba divers with bombs, too. They are trained in CA and they have several of them swimming around US ships in the Gulf.

They have also trained seals and various other animals to do similar tasks.

Jammrock
    “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
    –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Handling dolphins must be a sweet job compared with marching to Bagdad.

Comment

Not necessarily. Those de-mining operations can at times make being in the 3rd Infantry look pretty tame

Dr. Mordrid
        Dr. Mordrid
        ----------------------------
        An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Yeah, and if you think that's cool, you should see what they can do when those giant Soviet squid come knocking!
          Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Originally posted by Wombat
            Yeah, and if you think that's cool, you should see what they can do when those giant Soviet squid come knocking!
            Sushi?
            chuck
            Chuck
            秋音的爸爸

Comment

Actually dolphins have been used in the military since WWII (can't recall if it was during or after) in one capacity or another. However I doubt it was offically reported until later as at the time it might have seemed too silly. Their use was mainly to assist divers at the time.
              “And, remember: there's no 'I' in 'irony'” ~ Merlin Mann

Comment

Originally posted by Wombat
                Another RA2 player shows his real self!!!

Comment

Novdid you beat me to the punch
                  Go Bunny GO!

Titan:
                  MSI NEO2-FISR | Intel P4-3.0C | 1024MB Corsair TWINX1024 3200LLPT RAM | ATI AIW 9700 Pro | Dell P780 @ 1024x768x32 | Turtle Beach Santa Cruz | Sony DRU-500A DVD-R/-RW/+R/+RW | WDC 100GB [C:] | WDC 100GB [D:] | Logitech MX-700

Mini:
                  Shuttle SB51G XPC | Intel P4 2.4Ghz | Matrox G400MAX | 512 MB Crucial DDR333 RAM | CD-RW/DVD-ROM | Seagate 80GB [C:] | Logitech Cordless Elite Duo

Server:
                  Abit BE6-II | Intel PIII 450Mhz | Matrox Millennium II PCI | 256 MB Crucial PC133 RAM | WDC 6GB [C:] | WDC 200GB [E:] | WDC 160GB [F:] | WDC 250GB [G:]

Comment

Yeah I head about them this morning they are using them currently in the ports around Umm Casar (<-- SP = bad) to demine them. Apparently they are doing a great job of it...

~Sethos
                    "...and in the next instant he was one of the deadest men that ever lived." – Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
                    X