Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recommend a DVD-ROM drive

Hi guys...

My Pioneer DVD ROM drive (slot- not tray-loading) just died on me, so I need a cheap and reliable replacment. Any particular brands that come recommended? Lite-On, Samsung, NEC, Panasonic, Pioneer all seem to be around the same price (30-35 quid incl VAT). I just want something reliable (on IDE).

No real hurry, as my CD-RW stands in pretty well until I want to watch any movies...

Thanks

Gnep
    DM says: Crunch with Matrox Users@ClimatePrediction.net

Toshiba
    [size=1]D3/\/7YCR4CK3R
    Ryzen: Asrock B450M Pro4, Ryzen 5 2600, 16GB G-Skill Ripjaws V Series DDR4 PC4-25600 RAM, 1TB Seagate SATA HD, 256GB myDigital PCIEx4 M.2 SSD, Samsung LI24T350FHNXZA 24" HDMI LED monitor, Klipsch Promedia 4.2 400, Win11
    Home: M1 Mac Mini 8GB 256GB
    Surgery: HP Stream 200-010 Mini Desktop,Intel Celeron 2957U Processor, 6 GB RAM, ADATA 128 GB SSD, Win 10 home ver 22H2
    Frontdesk: Beelink T4 8GB

Comment

ASUS. Great performance and it's zonefree without having to be reflashed. You might also consider sticking with Pioneer though, from what I've seen their tray-loading units are top notch.
      All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy.

Comment

Plextor or LiteOn. Plextor for quality, LiteOn for cheapness and good performance. Of course, with the Plextor you have to take all the burning stuff with it too.

Jammrock
        “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
        –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

I am pleased with my Toshiba SD-M1612...

(Apparently now replaced by the 1712)
          Explore Toshiba's Storage US and hard drive HDD solutions. From enterprise to consumer HDDs, experience top-tier quality and performance for all storage needs.

downside: no headphone output (if you care about that)
          upside: reads DVD-RAM (not in cartridge though)

Jörg
          pixar
          Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

LiteOn.

Much better audio extraction speeds and oh so cheap...
            Let us return to the moon, to stay!!!

Comment

On that note, does anyone know any other brands / drives which are zone free right out of the box?
              We have enough youth - What we need is a fountain of smart!

i7-920, 6GB DDR3-1600, HD4870X2, Dell 27" LCD

Comment

or are easily flashable...

btw, most drives I encountered here and there doesn't switch to slow (quiet) mode when reading dvd (with film). Are there any?

Comment

Hmmm - yup the zone-free out of the box thing hadn't occured to me but would be nice... so comments there definitely welcome (and I'm in the UK BTW)

Otherwise not much of a strong consensus above... these things wouldn't all be made in the same couple of plants and get separate facias by any chance?

Comment

Originally posted by tjalfe
                    On that note, does anyone know any other brands / drives which are zone free right out of the box?
                    I flashed my LiteOn LTD-166S to the DS-14 firmware and used the region free Liteon app to make it region free.

For my Toshiba, same thing.

Check www.firmware-flash.com for details
                    Let us return to the moon, to stay!!!

Comment

Lite On

btw. I just had my Pioneer S305 SCSI die on me too.... and slot-in as well.

Comment

Yup. I think I'm going to avoid slot-ins from now on as I have seen other reports of reliability problems (even though this is 2 years old and has had fairly heavy use) - although judging from what is actually available, the manufacturers have concluded the same... (this is a shame though as with 2 drives having the top one slot loading and the bottom one tray-loading was v. convenient)

Lite-On is getting the bias now it looks like. To match my CDRW

Comment

I'm actually going to buy a new DVD ROM as well. I however am keeping my Toshiba and simply buying the cheapest DVD-ROM I can get to go into the GF's machine. I am also not giving her the G400, I'll get her some cheaper faster not so good 2D ATi type card. I'll be getting an 8MB cache Maxtor 120GB HD and a LiteON 52X CDRW sometime next week
                          [size=1]D3/\/7YCR4CK3R
                          Ryzen: Asrock B450M Pro4, Ryzen 5 2600, 16GB G-Skill Ripjaws V Series DDR4 PC4-25600 RAM, 1TB Seagate SATA HD, 256GB myDigital PCIEx4 M.2 SSD, Samsung LI24T350FHNXZA 24" HDMI LED monitor, Klipsch Promedia 4.2 400, Win11
                          Home: M1 Mac Mini 8GB 256GB
                          Surgery: HP Stream 200-010 Mini Desktop,Intel Celeron 2957U Processor, 6 GB RAM, ADATA 128 GB SSD, Win 10 home ver 22H2
                          Frontdesk: Beelink T4 8GB

Comment

what about the noise of drives? I mean, it's hard to watch film when dvd drive spins the dvd at 16x speed when 1x would do...

Comment

My slot load pioneer drive died on me last year. Replaced it with a 16x sony. It's quite nice. Fast and quiet.
                              Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard coated bastards with bastard filling. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive, bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine. -- Dr. Perry Cox

Comment

Working...
                              X