Marvel on BX133?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marvel on BX133?

Will the Marvel work on a BX platform overclocked to 133MHz?

G400s usualy work but with the more timing dependant video grabbing functions of the Marvel...

Anyone running his/her Marvel on such a rig?

J-kun

I don´t think it is recommended. I tried o/c my AGP Marvel resulting in a corrupt video BIOS. I tried flashing the BIOS but it didn´t work, so I returned the two days old card to my local salesman (without a word about the o/c...). If you have a PCI Marvel -BX133 is no problem...

BX133 could work, but it didn´t for me... I think that i815 is a pretty good choise...

Comment

It'll work with the i815 because the bus isn't OC'ed using that chipset.

I have used my Marvel G400 at BX133 by manually setting the AGP to 1x. This resulted in no real loss in performance.

Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Thanks for the replies. I asked because the 815 is still a lot more expensive than the BX, and for video applications the BX still gets the thumbs up over any other chipset.

J-kun

Comment

RATS!!

I just read the review of the Inno3D Geforce MX PCI at www.viahardware.com.

I thought this might be a good second display option for use with a Marvel (since PCI gfx cards are getting rare and the G200 is so expensive)

Page 2 of the review goes into the use of PCI boards on i815 mobo's. Looks like the i815 isn't suitable for this at all!!

So BX at 133 seems to be the only Intel left. I hope my Marvel will work at this speed...

J-kun

Comment

Hey guys.
            I'm in the market for a new mobo as well. Toms Hardware gives the i815 chipset a thumbs up over the BX. See his review of several i815 boards at http://www6.tomshardware.com/mainboa...906/index.html . Although they all seem about equal, it seems the Aopen AX3S Pro is the winner.

Anandtech is not quite ready to abandon the BX yet, but also reviews several i815 boards at http://www.anandtech.com/showdoc.html?i=1291 . Their winner is the Asus CUSL2, with the Microstar 815E Pro as the runner up. These two board seem to be more feature packed than the Aopen in my eyes, but I'd like to get your opinions on all these boards. I have a G400 Marvel and I'm looking for a fast but stable mobo to run it on. Any suggestions?
            Thanks!
            "Whoa..."
            Keanu Reeves.

Comment

BX <-> i815.
              I own a Pinnacle DV500. Pinnacle has a compatibility list for mobos and cams for this card. Also, Pinnacle has developed a kind of driver to enhance PCI throughput for the DV500. You install it if the motherboard needs it. If you need it is indicated on their mobo compat list. No BX board need the PCI enhancer, whereas the i815's do. This seems to indicate that the i815 does not handle the PCI bus transfers as efficiently as the BX.
              Michka
              I am watching the TV and it's worthless.
              If I switch it on it is even worse.

Comment

Don't forget the site is called viahardware. Their comments about the i815 are unfair, to say the least: they are not limitations of the i815, they are limitations of the DFI mobo which they used. They do not apply for example to the Asus CUSL board.
                And no, I don't work for Intel, don't own an i815 nor an Asus CUSL. But I am gathering information right now for a new mobo.
                Michka
                I am watching the TV and it's worthless.
                If I switch it on it is even worse.

Comment

Working...
                X