winxp BSOD on shutdown/restart

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• winxp BSOD on shutdown/restart

My brothers computer is just deveolped a shutdown problem.

If you go to shutdown/reboot just as windows says shutting down it gets a BSOD, but there is no real information their just an exception.

Checking the event logs it shows that logging is being stopped cleanly. eg windows closes the log files just before power down(so the cause of the problem is not shown).

His machine

windows XP sp1+ all updates
    ecs k7sa 256ddr, 1G duron(latest bios)
    ati 9000 (cat 3.1)
    hercules fortisimo III
    30G maxtor(recent(a month ago) rma replacement for a quantum)

I added the sound card a couple of weeks earlier, but it was shutting down okay after I installed it.

Apart from the shutdown problem everything else seems to be running well.

any suggestions?

Check ACPI.

Which HAL is the system using, is ACPI on or off in BIOS?

I recommend turning ACPI off and changing HAL to standard PC and seein if that makes a difference.

Be careful though, I rendered my machine unbootable when doing this.

Comment

well it is ACPI and in bios and windows..
      (uniprcessor...etc)

did not have a problem before, and don't have one on my k7s5a machine(which has every PCI slot -1 loaded).

How easy/hard is it to change HAL. I don't really want to but if I can't resolve it I might give it a shot...

Comment

Go to device managar.

Go to Computer->ACPI Uniprocessor

Rightclick -> Choose Properties -> Driver

Update driver, show list of all available drivers, change to standard PC.

Reboot
        Also disable ACPI in BIOS
        Enable APM in BIOS and control panel.

Another possible culprit could be some driver blocking you.

Comment

Re: winxp BSOD on shutdown/restart

Originally posted by Marshmallowman
          My brothers computer is just deveolped a shutdown problem.

If you go to shutdown/reboot just as windows says shutting down it gets a BSOD, but there is no real information their just an exception.

Checking the event logs it shows that logging is being stopped cleanly. eg windows closes the log files just before power down(so the cause of the problem is not shown).

His machine

windows XP sp1+ all updates
          ecs k7sa 256ddr, 1G duron(latest bios)
          ati 9000 (cat 3.1)
          hercules fortisimo III
          30G maxtor(recent(a month ago) rma replacement for a quantum)

I added the sound card a couple of weeks earlier, but it was shutting down okay after I installed it.

Apart from the shutdown problem everything else seems to be running well.

any suggestions?
          I wouldn't go and change the ACPI stuff just yet as it looks like it was working before.

You might want to check what software has been installed recently, generally update all drivers to stable versions and run little proggies like ad-aware 6.0 and jv16 powertools to find anything fishy in the registry (powertools is not mandatory, but it's oh-so easy )

Comment

My recently dying DVD-ROM drive caused some behaviour like this, along with other instabilities (certain games that used to crash to desktop occasionally now rebooting the machine for example). So it might be worth taking out all the hardware you can and experimenting whilst gradually adding it back.
            DM says: Crunch with Matrox Users@ClimatePrediction.net

Comment

Did the change over to standard PC.

But It still won't sut down, now it just goes to a screen saying its safe to shutdown...and there is no APM option in the bios only ACPI

so I have gone back to acpi, the problem is still their , I will give adaware a go.

I have done complete update of the hercules driver.
              I will try updating the mobo drivers as well(well, reinstalling, they are up to date)

I have tried to find out what has been installed before this ocurred, but he can't recall......

Comment

Working...
              X