Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Refresh rate issues...

A brief reassume of the problem:
    After installing a Matrox Card on Win2k, the user discover that Matrox's drivers don't care to ask the monitor wich refresh rates it supports, giving the user a max of 85Hz into monitor settings and 60Hz in D3D and OGL games.

Pure shit. So, asking to Matrox, we all know the reply: it's Microsoft fault, it's a Win2K problem. It's a feature.

Ok, I've installed a few ATI and nVidia cards in the last days, all over a Win2K system, no SP. I've installed even an old S3 card on the same system. I've tried with DX8 and 9, and with old and new drives.
    Guess the surprise?
    Every card has detected the monitor settings, used the maximum refresh rate in OGL games, in D3D games, in Windows desktop...

Back to my beloved G400, and still stuck with 60Hz and 85Hz on a monitor capable of 120...

I know I'm boring...but why the hell we can't have a decent video driver?
    Sat on a pile of deads, I enjoy my oysters.

Display settings | Advanced | Monitor settings | Adjust the current display mode, lets you choose any refresh rate. I want to have as good monitor setting features on my Radeon but would have to buy Powerstrip or something. With Matrox there's no need for third party helper apps.

Comment

Kindly watch your language, especially in thread titles.
      This is a "family" forum. I don't appreciate seeing foul language on my forum page, since I often have my young children nearby.
      You thread title has been modified to a more appropriate state.
      Core2 Duo E7500 2.93, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, 4gig 1066 DDR2, 1gig Asus ENGTS250, SB X-Fi Gamer ,WD Caviar Black 1tb, Plextor PX-880SA, Dual Samsung 2494s

Comment

As Joel says.

I find it funny that you had no problems with the radeon as this is one of the biggest complaints over at rage3d. Sure you didn't swap the cards.
        Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
        Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

I noticed the same thing with my G400 MAX, it seems to have very inconsistant DDC handling. My 8500 on the other hand worked perfectly, detected the monitor correctly and it's different resolutions/refresh rates. Of course, I did have to use RefreshForce to fix the really damn annoying WinXP 60 Hz BS. In Win98 I didn't even have to do that, the Radeon DDC support seems pretty reliable.

Comment

To Kruzin: you're right. Sorry, I thought that the board engine would have censured the title by itself.

To Jussi and Ingram: installed at the moment 14 ATI cards just to take a look. Every card detects the monitor. Every card give the correct resolutions/refresh rates combo. Every card uses 85 Hz in D3D and OGL.
            No need for external software.

G400. 21 different graphical modes to setup manually.
            Sat on a pile of deads, I enjoy my oysters.

Comment

Working...
            X