Have a video cable to recommend?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Have a video cable to recommend?

Some while ago I replaced a HD15->RCA connector cable in my home theater with a custom built one (built around Canare cable and connectors) See DIY Cables. There was a noticeable (although small) improvement in video quality when I made the change.
    I'm currently running a bought-at-computer-store HD15->BNC video cable (HD15 is just another name for VGA, BTW) between my G400 and Sony GDM-F520. I belive that this cable was slightly better than the HD15->HD15 cable that came with the monitor as it reduced a bit of the very-faint video ringing I could see to the right of dark black objects like text on a white field)
    Now I'm thinking of upgrading to a better HD15->BNC (maybe it'll get even better). My current cable was only $18 or so - so I'm guessing that the manafacturer made some compromises that may translate for "possible improvement".
    Sadly, the guy who made the HT cable I mention above is no longer doing it (it had been just a hobby for him), so I'm looking for recommendations.
    Now, there are "botique" video cables for the home theater guys who think they have to spend lots of $$$ on cables - the most reasonable price/quality in this group seems to be the BetterCables Silver Serpent - but IMHO $110 for a 1m cable is um... kind'a steep.
    So I'm now looking at the Markertek VGA cable - which is more reasonable at $60 for a 2m cable (looks like they can make me a 1.5m cable, too, which is what I'd prefer.
    So... I'm wondering if anyone else has gone this route.
    Did you get any video improvement?
    Markertek specializes in broadcast-quality cables (mostly for studios) - so I think they're pretty good - but I'd be glad to hear recommendations of other cable in the same (or cheaper) price range...
    Thanks!
    Bob
    PS: I don't want to start one of those high-end-cable religious wars (common on the A/V boards). FWIW, I find it pretty humerous that some guys pay hundreds of dollars for power cables (!) - what do they think the wires look like inside their walls? But if my picture could actually get a bit better, I'm all for it...
Working...
X