High-quality 19" CRT's???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• High-quality 19" CRT's???

OK, my old 17" CRT is dying and while I was planning on going dual-display this year by adding a 21" CRT and moving the 17" CRT to the side for a palettes screen, I was forced to order a 19" CRT quickly to replace the 17" CRT. This display system is used for color-critical photo & graphics editing, so the current crop of <$1000 LCD panels is out of the question.

In the course of researching the current 19" CRT market, I discovered that very few high quality 19" CRT's are stilll available. For me, high quality in a 19" CRT means: daily working res of 1280x960x32 @85Hz, max res of 1600x1200x32 @80Hz, dual inputs (1 D-sub, 1 BNC), adjustable RGB guns for color calibration, good geometry & convergence, comprehensive geometry controls, and good max/min brightness & color purity across the screen. The Samsung 900IFT and Cornerstone 1460 would’ve fit the bill quite well, but I can't find any at monitorsdirect.com, newegg.com, or buy.com.

Plus, since I'll be getting an aperture grille 21" CRT, I want the 19" CRT to be shadow mask - there are very few shadow mask 19" CRT's availlable, and none with the great Hitachi Ergo Flat tubes. I ended up looking at: Cornerstone p2450 (ap grille), Hitachi CM721F (1 input), Mitsubishi DP930SB (plan on getting the 21" version), NEC FE990 (1 input), and Samsung 957MB (can't adjust RGB guns). Eizo’s and Sony’s high-quality 19” CRT’s were too expensive.

I did find a 17” CRT (Samsung 700IFT) that has dual inputs, but I decided not to trade off screen space for input flexibility – finally settled on the Hitachi CM721F, swayed mostly for the 5-year warranty and monitorsdirect.com had a 1¢ sale on upgrading to the fast-replacement warranty. Very sorry I missed out on the Hitachi shadow mask tubes, but it looks like LCD panels have started to really push CRT’s out of the computer display market.

LG Flatron 915FT Plus

Hi brocken,

About a year ago, I was in a similar situation to you. I needed to get a new
    monitor since my main 17" died, then my backup 16" died, so I was onto my
    backup backup 14". I did some quick research, looking on the MURC forum and
    other forums to find a nice 19" monitor. I went with a recommendation from here
    on the LG Flatron 915FT Plus. It has dual inputs (5 BNC and DB15) and a 4 port
    USB hub. I am happy with the display. It has a combo Shadow Mask/Apeture grill
    tube. LG calls it a slot mask. Basically it is a shadow mask with slots instead of
    holes. Supposed to give you the best of both worlds, I guess.

I'm not sure if it will allow individual adjustment of the RGB levels, but I
    have been pleased with it and so has my wife (She's a graphic artist). I paid
    like US$315-330 for it. Here's their web site.

http://www.flatron.com

Good Luck

-Wx

Comment

Very happy here with my Aperture Grille (mitsu tube) Samsung 900NF.

Has BNC/VGA inputs and a top resolution of 2048x1536.
      Let us return to the moon, to stay!!!

Comment

I just got my Dad a $199 Cornerstone 19" CRT and it looks wonderful:

Free shipping, no tax (unless you live in the same state as Monitor's Direct). Can't beat that. Unless you don't live in North America....

Jammrock
        “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
        –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Free shipping?
          Can't believe it...
          I wish I live in the states!

Now when would the UK be like that
          P4 Northwood 1.8GHz@2.7GHz 1.65V Albatron PX845PEV Pro
          Running two Dell 2005FPW 20" Widescreen LCD
          And of course, Matrox Parhelia | My Matrox histroy: Mill-I, Mill-II, Mystique, G400, Parhelia

Comment

I recommend Mitsubishi 930 SB.

Samsung is good bang for the euros.

Also look into Eizo and Hitachi if you like shadow masks, but note that apperture grille monitors are preffered for graphic editing.

Comment

Yeh what happened to the old BNC connection. Much better quality.
              Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
              Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Originally posted by The PIT
                Yeh what happened to the old BNC connection. Much better quality.
                Cost. Added too much overhead to the cost to add the BNC plugs, electronics for it and the cable (which aren't cheap), plus support for regular VGA.

On top of that, it's all slowly switching over to DVI anyway...

JAmmrock

Comment

Samsung 900IFT working very nicely here. Good screen. Don't use the BNC connectors though - with a Parhelia and the good quality VGA cable that came with it quality in 2D is not an issue.

Shame you couldn't find one.
                  DM says: Crunch with Matrox Users@ClimatePrediction.net

Comment

Originally posted by Jammrock
                    Cost. Added too much overhead to the cost to add the BNC plugs, electronics for it and the cable (which aren't cheap), plus support for regular VGA.

On top of that, it's all slowly switching over to DVI anyway...

JAmmrock
                    DVI for CRT doesn't seem to have taken off. iilyama did one some time back but soon withdrew it.
                    Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
                    Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

seeing how almost everyone is gently pulling out of the CRT market, I don't think we'll ever see one with DVI...

Comment

As far as I am concerned, BNC is not as good as people claim:
                        1.) It does not support plug and play
                        2.) Quality is not helped much because the connection at the video card is not BNC

Comment

Originally posted by The PIT
                          DVI for CRT doesn't seem to have taken off. iilyama did one some time back but soon withdrew it.
                          Aye. Mainly because it's seen as a LCD/Plasma technology. They already have good analog electronics for CRT's so they don't do it much. As the market slowly shifts over to LCD, OLED, Plasma and whatever other technology people come up with, DVI will take over.

Even some of the new TV's a HDTV decoders in the US come with DVI inputs now. So you'll be able to run your computer off your DLP projector.

Jammrock

Comment

I have a ViewSonic P95f+.

High quality @ low price point.

IT uses DiamondTron NF tube i think...

Comment

Originally posted by Tomasz
                              As far as I am concerned, BNC is not as good as people claim:
                              1.) It does not support plug and play
                              2.) Quality is not helped much because the connection at the video card is not BNC
                              Quality is helped once it is out of the video card though - the signal will probably degrade less, especially over longer distances. Analogue experts will probably know more
                              Meet Jasmine.
                              flickr.com/photos/pace3000

Comment

Working...
                              X