• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Terry Lloyd killed in Iraq

http://www.itv.com/news/100024.html

An excellent reporter...

RedRed
    Dont just swallow the blue pill.

It remains at "believed", and I would think the Iraqis would love to show this as propaganda laughing at the "friendly fire"...

Comment

That's a shame.

Reporters really need to take care out there, just as everyone does.

Comment

Originally posted by KvHagedorn
        That's a shame.

Reporters really need to take care out there, just as everyone does.
        Yeah, how do they manage that in Baghdad? It baffles me how "enemy" reporters would even consider reporting from right inside places like that. Obviously reporting from the front line is dangerous, but at least you can defend yourself somewhat, and have some sort of military unit for protection. Guys like Rageh Omaar are reporting for the BBC from right inside Baghdad - having to dodge our missiles when required, plus having however many million Iraqis who potentially want to kill them...

I think all US crews have been ordered out, yeah?

Comment

Originally posted by Pace|Work
          Yeah, how do they manage that in Baghdad? It baffles me how "enemy" reporters would even consider reporting from right inside places like that. Obviously reporting from the front line is dangerous, but at least you can defend yourself somewhat, and have some sort of military unit for protection. Guys like Rageh Omaar are reporting for the BBC from right inside Baghdad - having to dodge our missiles when required, plus having however many million Iraqis who potentially want to kill them...

I think all US crews have been ordered out, yeah?
          I don't know.. I saw an American-sounding guy there the first day, then there was a British guy I saw donning body armor and a helmet on top of a hotel roof, but he was quickly told to get off the roof by Iraqis. Peter Arnett was there last I heard, but I don't know if he was kicked out.. I think anyone with a European face hanging out in Baghdad right now needs to have his head examined.

Comment

I'm pretty sure CNN were thrown out, possibly all US teams.

Anyone know of a story regarding a "western" man escaping disguised as an Arab?

Comment

CNN was told to get out. They made it to Jordan a few days ago.
              Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

From what I gathered, haven't been watching much TV (just talking to those in-the-know), Terry Lloyd was traveling with a group of Iraqi goverment or military personnel (or they could have been civilians, I won't assume to know). That has to be far more dangerous than staying in a civilian area in Baghdad.
                “And, remember: there's no 'I' in 'irony'” ~ Merlin Mann

Comment

He was 'embeded'. He left the convoy earlier to talk to locals. It appears that while he was there two vans with Iraqis (possibly soidliers) were seen. They (he and his crew) got back in their car and headed back twords coalition lines, with the Iraqis folowing....

as he appproached the lines, his car was hit (with an RPG of some sort) and the other 3 veichles were chewed up with with looked like 50Cal. Everyone was killed. They were left in the deasert by the coalition patrol. Their bodies were recovered by Iraqi forces returning to the area. - he is lying in a hospital in Basra

RedRed

Comment

I'm starting to like the way we did things the first time.. a month of the B-52 treatment and then they all came out groveling and READY to surrender.. people who would dress as civilians (or maybe ARE civilians) and would show a white flag, then get close and pull out AK47s DESERVE the B52 treatment.

Comment

Anyway you look at it, it's a sad affair.

Comment

A substantial number of the resistance appears to be part of Saddams 'underground police' - they do not wear uniforms.

I dont think the average Iraqi grunt is particularly keen on these 'unsporting' tactics- although I do think that it has been a bit of a shock to Donald R exactly ho little entheusiam for the Coalition is being found..... Except perhaps for a few Marsh Arabs....

RedRed

Comment

Yeah, it seems that different "tribes" here and there are extremely happy to see the US and coalition, however many are not. They either don't know how to feel or are aligned with Saddam. I'd say a big part of it has to do with the first Gulf war, where we basically left a large number of them, that had supported the war against Saddam and had fought against him, unsupported and open to retaliation from Saddam.

Comment

I think you may be right, Jes...

Comment

Working...
                            X