Network dying on me

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Network dying on me

I have very recently upgraded to broadband (512k) any have managed to link it to another 2 computers via a hub. It is all 10/100 mbs. It is all fine, working very fast UNTILL.. UN..TILL... I play half-life on the computer connected directly to the internet. What happens you ask? Well...

As soon as one of the other computers starts to use the internet, a blue screen of death comes up saying a load of jibberish (to me). Somthing about errors with VxD in Ndis (lots of numbers). Next time it comes up ill right it down perfectly. It also says it may be ok to continue normally. However when i press a key and return to half-life, it is ok, but the whole network has gone kaput! Therefore I have to restart.

Ive tried playing with the network hub off and it works perfectly, but when the other computers start using the internet, bang, it all falls apart.

Specs :

256 SDRAM
    K62 450mhz
    Matrox G400 (woohay)
    8 port switch hub (relativly cheap)
    Netgear PCI adapter (network card)
    Ethernet adapter PCI (other network card)

Yes is a pretty cruddy computer but it works. Can anyone help me at all? I've checked for IRQ clashes and it says there arn't any. I think one of the network cards is on the brink possibly.
    High above the Mucky Muck, castle made of cloud, there sits wonderboy sittin o' so proudly...

Yup, you've managed to cause the network drivers to fail. I don't think it's the cards, but rather the drivers. I assume you're running Win9x? You're asking 9x to do a lot, and frankly, I don't think you're going to have much luck.

I don't suppose you can play with the network topology?
    Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

dont matter about topology, he is using a HUB

HUB- a device that broadcasts the same info to all ports at same time

so if another PC is hung waiting on a packet, it can delay response to another port waiting on packets from a game server or the like causing the error he is seeing

to prove my point disconnect the other PCs from the HUB before playing and see if it still happens
      Better to let one think you are a fool, than speak and prove it

Comment

Originally posted by Dilitante1
        dont matter about topology, he is using a HUB

HUB- a device that broadcasts the same info to all ports at same time

so if another PC is hung waiting on a packet, it can delay response to another port waiting on packets from a game server or the like causing the error he is seeing

to prove my point disconnect the other PCs from the HUB before playing and see if it still happens
        I have to disagree with you, Dil.
        His post is a little unclear, but the way I read it, he has a computer connected to the broadband feed, and a 2nd NIC in that computer, which goes to the hub, feeding the other computers. Also, he said it's a switching hub, so your scenario shouldn't happen.
        Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

what s/w u use for routing on the main pc ?? did u try any other s/w package ?? if ur running dynamic ip try changing to static ip or vice versa.

i dunno much about sw routing or routing in general .. so i cant tell u wat to use or to not use .. others can help with that ..
          GigaByte 6BXC, celeron300A@450, 128 Ram, G200 8M SD

Comment

Working...
          X