What took you so long?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What took you so long?

Yesterday afternoon a truck drove down a side road in the Iraqi town of Safwan, laden with rugs and furniture. Booty or precious possessions? In a day of death, joy and looting, it was hard to know.

As the passengers spotted European faces, one boy grinned and put his thumb up. The other nervously waved a white flag. The mixed messages defined the moment: Thank you. We love you. Please don't kill us.

US marines took Safwan at about 8am yesterday. There was no rose-petal welcome, no cheering crowd, no stars and stripes.

Afraid that the US and Britain will abandon them, the people of Safwan did not touch the portraits and murals of Saddam Hussein hanging everywhere. It was left to the US Marines to tear them down (after which some of the towns young men took over). It did not mean there was not heartfelt gladness at the marines' arrival. Ajami Saadoun Khlis, whose son and brother were executed under the Saddam regime, sobbed like a child on the shoulder of an Egyptian translator. He mopped the tears but they kept coming.

"You just arrived," he said. "You're late. What took you so long? God help you become victorious. I want to say hello to Bush, to shake his hand. We came out of the grave."

"For a long time we've been saying: 'Let them come'," his wife, Zahara, said. "Last night we were afraid, but we said: 'Never mind, as long as they get rid of him, as long as they overthrow him, no problem'."

Their 29-year-old son was executed in July 2001, accused of harboring warm feelings for Iran.

"He was a farmer, he had a car, he sold tomatoes, and we had a life that we were satisfied with," said Khlis. "He was in prison for a whole year, and I raised 75m dinars in bribes. It didn't work. The money was gone, and he was gone. They sent me a telegram. They gave me the body."
    'nuff said. Ajami and Sahara Khlis said it better than anyone else could. Shame on those who chose not to listen before the Marines arrived.

Dr. Mordrid

CC: Jacques Chirac, Gerhard Schröder, Jean Chretien, Vladimir Putin, Jiang Zemin et. al.
    Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 22 March 2003, 14:51.
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

As a Canadian, I am saddened that Mr. Cretien chose not to support the U.S.
    I don't agree with the timing of the war ( a little premature I think), but our government should show some support for the U.S. - not that it would make any difference - our army is a joke.
    For one of the largest country in the world (land mass) we have one of the smallest military budget.
    Yeah, well I'm gonna build my own lunar space lander! With blackjack aaaaannd Hookers! Actually, forget the space lander, and the blackjack. Ahhhh forget the whole thing!

Comment

I just heard on the news.. there was a popularity poll for Blair which showed 65% approval. Before the war it was in the 30s.

Shows what having some balls gets you. Gerhard Schröder, Jean Cretin, etc. please take note.

Comment

Here's a real gem

Montreal Fans Boo U.S. National Anthem

That's because some of the fans gathered at Bell Centre for the game booed the U.S. national anthem, ostensibly because of the attack on Iraq that had been initiated the previous evening.

Several Islanders players, and coach Peter Laviolette, told the Montreal Gazette they thought the boos were disrespectful and that that they gave the Islanders a bit of an extra fire.

It's unclear what affect that extra fire had on the game, but the Islanders amassed a 5-1 lead in the game which they eventually won 6-3.

Comment

This post is not intended to be offensive to any U.S. citizens... but... it's what i have encounted... and btw i have no intention to bring heavy atmospheres / politics in here... so... be prepared...

there are quite a number of people in canada (well at least toronto) who think the "traditional americans", especially those who has the american "cowboy" accent, are "retarded".

This is definitely not my view, but I have met quite a number of people who actually feels that. Sorry if i have offended anyone here.

okay... lighten up the mood now....

Let's go get so food!!!! :?

Comment

Originally posted by Chrono_Wanderer
            This post is not intended to be offensive to any U.S. citizens... but... it's what i have encounted... and btw i have no intention to bring heavy atmospheres / politics in here... so... be prepared...

there are quite a number of people in canada (well at least toronto) who think the "traditional americans", especially those who has the american "cowboy" accent, are "retarded".

This is definitely not my view, but I have met quite a number of people who actually feels that. Sorry if i have offended anyone here.

okay... lighten up the mood now....

Let's go get so food!!!! :?
            Being from Texas, I can assure you that we have our share of idiots down here, but I can also tell you with relative certainty that southern idiocy evolved from a need to relate to and try and get along with others in the community. It would be extremely politically incorrect for me to elaborate further, but it's the truth, so deal with it. I hate the very idea of being forced into a lowest-common-denominator form of society, but this is what multiculturalism is all about, and it isn't necessarily based upon differences in raw intelligence either.. differences in ways of thinking are quite enough of a gap to bridge, so all subtlety and higher thought processes are liable to get tossed out in the process, and have been.

By the way, how old are these people who say we are retarded?

Comment

Originally posted by KvHagedorn
              By the way, how old are these people who say we are retarded?
              I have noticed that most of those protesters the war are those who are young enough to be in the draft age bracket, if a draft where to be implimented.
              A good example of ths would be a 17.5 year-old student I have that asked me if he could spend his computer science time in my class to make up an "anti-war" flier that he could print out and pass around the school.
              When I told him "As long as that flier says 'Bomb Saddam' it's OK with me.", he whined to the admin of the school. Unfortunatly for him, the main admin of the school is a retired miltary man, and the wife of a retired military man
              The compromise was that he could use the time to make the fliers, but not use our paper to print them out....
              Core2 Duo E7500 2.93, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, 4gig 1066 DDR2, 1gig Asus ENGTS250, SB X-Fi Gamer ,WD Caviar Black 1tb, Plextor PX-880SA, Dual Samsung 2494s

Comment

I would have told him that class time is for class, period. If you leave you will be counted absent. If you do other work, you will be sent to the office.

Comment

First off, my old history teacher (in her early 40s) has some tendency to think like that... and of course, the school propenganda will make the students think like that too. (well if u ask me i will say their are retards everything in the world. to say a race is retard is a poor generalization if u ask me.)

edit: I have a feeling that this will be a rather heated topic.

Comment

to say a race is retard is a poor generalization if u ask me.
                    I didn't. Read again.
                    Last edited by KvHagedorn; 22 March 2003, 21:33.

Comment

edit: I have a feeling that this will be a rather heated topic.
                      Yeassss..

Comment

While you're at it, read exactly what I posted, again. Now think about it and read it once more before replying.

Comment

Originally posted by KvHagedorn
                          I would have told him that class time is for class, period. If you leave you will be counted absent. If you do other work, you will be sent to the office.
                          The thing is, our school is a very "open" private school. This student happens to currently be spending his 'computer science' time leaning to use MS Word.
                          Most of our students spend their "CS" time on typing tutors, but this kid can already type 60+ WPM, so I cant force him to improve his typing times.
                          We often allow students to choose their own assignments, as long as it can be related in some remote way to what they are supposed to be learning.
                          So I had to allow him the time to create his flier, but I did not have to allow him the time or resources to print out hundreds of copies of it...

In the end, I feel it led to an adult conversation (more so than I could expect from most of my high school aged students) about how he, I, and admin felt about current events, and we reached a mutual agreement on the topic. I think it was a fair compromise, and everyone walked away satisified...
                          Last edited by Kruzin; 22 March 2003, 22:00.
                          Core2 Duo E7500 2.93, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, 4gig 1066 DDR2, 1gig Asus ENGTS250, SB X-Fi Gamer ,WD Caviar Black 1tb, Plextor PX-880SA, Dual Samsung 2494s

Comment

"This post is not intended to be offensive to any U.S. citizens... but... it's what i have encounted... and btw i have no intention to bring heavy atmospheres / politics in here..."

Yeah.. Bull$417

your post was in direct response to a newspaper article about FACT to which you responded with supposedly other peoples thoughts of people based on there accent.

Comment

Originally posted by capt. marvel
                              "This post is not intended to be offensive to any U.S. citizens... but... it's what i have encounted... and btw i have no intention to bring heavy atmospheres / politics in here..."

Yeah.. Bull$417

your post was in direct response to a newspaper article about FACT to which you responded with supposedly other peoples thoughts of people based on there accent.
                              I see that you haven't been around here long. You might want to take it under advisement that you should refrain from posting here still, until you learn how to treat other MURCers with respect. Act like an adult, or you will be shown the door - it doesn't happen often, but it happens when it needs to.

Good day.
                              Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Working...
                              X