PDA

View Full Version : What took you so long?

Dr Mordrid
22nd March 2003, 13:14
Yesterday afternoon a truck drove down a side road in the Iraqi town of Safwan, laden with rugs and furniture. Booty or precious possessions? In a day of death, joy and looting, it was hard to know.

As the passengers spotted European faces, one boy grinned and put his thumb up. The other nervously waved a white flag. The mixed messages defined the moment: Thank you. We love you. Please don't kill us.

US marines took Safwan at about 8am yesterday. There was no rose-petal welcome, no cheering crowd, no stars and stripes.

Afraid that the US and Britain will abandon them, the people of Safwan did not touch the portraits and murals of Saddam Hussein hanging everywhere. It was left to the US Marines to tear them down (after which some of the towns young men took over). It did not mean there was not heartfelt gladness at the marines' arrival. Ajami Saadoun Khlis, whose son and brother were executed under the Saddam regime, sobbed like a child on the shoulder of an Egyptian translator. He mopped the tears but they kept coming.

"You just arrived," he said. "You're late. What took you so long? God help you become victorious. I want to say hello to Bush, to shake his hand. We came out of the grave."

"For a long time we've been saying: 'Let them come'," his wife, Zahara, said. "Last night we were afraid, but we said: 'Never mind, as long as they get rid of him, as long as they overthrow him, no problem'."

Their 29-year-old son was executed in July 2001, accused of harboring warm feelings for Iran.

"He was a farmer, he had a car, he sold tomatoes, and we had a life that we were satisfied with," said Khlis. "He was in prison for a whole year, and I raised 75m dinars in bribes. It didn't work. The money was gone, and he was gone. They sent me a telegram. They gave me the body."'nuff said. Ajami and Sahara Khlis said it better than anyone else could. Shame on those who chose not to listen before the Marines arrived.

Dr. Mordrid

CC: Jacques Chirac, Gerhard Schröder, Jean Chretien, Vladimir Putin, Jiang Zemin et. al.

gt40
22nd March 2003, 15:57
As a Canadian, I am saddened that Mr. Cretien chose not to support the U.S.
I don't agree with the timing of the war ( a little premature I think), but our government should show some support for the U.S. - not that it would make any difference - our army is a joke.
For one of the largest country in the world (land mass) we have one of the smallest military budget.

KvHagedorn
22nd March 2003, 16:37
I just heard on the news.. there was a popularity poll for Blair which showed 65% approval. Before the war it was in the 30s. :)

Shows what having some balls gets you. Gerhard Schröder, Jean Cretin, etc. please take note. :D

capt. marvel
22nd March 2003, 19:33
Here's a real gem

Montreal Fans Boo U.S. National Anthem

That's because some of the fans gathered at Bell Centre for the game booed the U.S. national anthem, ostensibly because of the attack on Iraq that had been initiated the previous evening.

Several Islanders players, and coach Peter Laviolette, told the Montreal Gazette they thought the boos were disrespectful and that that they gave the Islanders a bit of an extra fire.

It's unclear what affect that extra fire had on the game, but the Islanders amassed a 5-1 lead in the game which they eventually won 6-3.

Chrono_Wanderer
22nd March 2003, 19:41
This post is not intended to be offensive to any U.S. citizens... but... it's what i have encounted... and btw i have no intention to bring heavy atmospheres / politics in here... so... be prepared...

there are quite a number of people in canada (well at least toronto) who think the "traditional americans", especially those who has the american "cowboy" accent, are "retarded".

This is definitely not my view, but I have met quite a number of people who actually feels that. Sorry if i have offended anyone here.

okay... lighten up the mood now....

Let's go get so food!!!! :eek: :?

KvHagedorn
22nd March 2003, 19:56
Originally posted by Chrono_Wanderer
This post is not intended to be offensive to any U.S. citizens... but... it's what i have encounted... and btw i have no intention to bring heavy atmospheres / politics in here... so... be prepared...

there are quite a number of people in canada (well at least toronto) who think the "traditional americans", especially those who has the american "cowboy" accent, are "retarded".

This is definitely not my view, but I have met quite a number of people who actually feels that. Sorry if i have offended anyone here.

okay... lighten up the mood now....

Let's go get so food!!!! :eek: :?

Being from Texas, I can assure you that we have our share of idiots down here, but I can also tell you with relative certainty that southern idiocy evolved from a need to relate to and try and get along with others in the community. It would be extremely politically incorrect for me to elaborate further, but it's the truth, so deal with it. I hate the very idea of being forced into a lowest-common-denominator form of society, but this is what multiculturalism is all about, and it isn't necessarily based upon differences in raw intelligence either.. differences in ways of thinking are quite enough of a gap to bridge, so all subtlety and higher thought processes are liable to get tossed out in the process, and have been. :mad:

By the way, how old are these people who say we are retarded? ;)

Kruzin
22nd March 2003, 20:16
Originally posted by KvHagedorn
By the way, how old are these people who say we are retarded? ;)

I have noticed that most of those protesters the war are those who are young enough to be in the draft age bracket, if a draft where to be implimented.
A good example of ths would be a 17.5 year-old student I have that asked me if he could spend his computer science time in my class to make up an "anti-war" flier that he could print out and pass around the school.
When I told him "As long as that flier says 'Bomb Saddam' it's OK with me.", he whined to the admin of the school. Unfortunatly for him, the main admin of the school is a retired miltary man, and the wife of a retired military man ;)
The compromise was that he could use the time to make the fliers, but not use our paper to print them out....

KvHagedorn
22nd March 2003, 20:20
I would have told him that class time is for class, period. If you leave you will be counted absent. If you do other work, you will be sent to the office.

Chrono_Wanderer
22nd March 2003, 20:28
First off, my old history teacher (in her early 40s) has some tendency to think like that... and of course, the school propenganda will make the students think like that too. :D (well if u ask me i will say their are retards everything in the world. to say a race is retard is a poor generalization if u ask me.) ;)

edit: I have a feeling that this will be a rather heated topic.

KvHagedorn
22nd March 2003, 20:30
to say a race is retard is a poor generalization if u ask me.

I didn't. Read again.

KvHagedorn
22nd March 2003, 20:34
edit: I have a feeling that this will be a rather heated topic.

Yeassss.. ;)

KvHagedorn
22nd March 2003, 20:37
While you're at it, read exactly what I posted, again. Now think about it and read it once more before replying.

Kruzin
22nd March 2003, 20:56
I would have told him that class time is for class, period. If you leave you will be counted absent. If you do other work, you will be sent to the office.

The thing is, our school is a very "open" private school. This student happens to currently be spending his 'computer science' time leaning to use MS Word.
Most of our students spend their "CS" time on typing tutors, but this kid can already type 60+ WPM, so I cant force him to improve his typing times.
We often allow students to choose their own assignments, as long as it can be related in some remote way to what they are supposed to be learning.
So I had to allow him the time to create his flier, but I did not have to allow him the time or resources to print out hundreds of copies of it...

In the end, I feel it led to an adult conversation (more so than I could expect from most of my high school aged students) about how he, I, and admin felt about current events, and we reached a mutual agreement on the topic. I think it was a fair compromise, and everyone walked away satisified...

capt. marvel
22nd March 2003, 21:04
"This post is not intended to be offensive to any U.S. citizens... but... it's what i have encounted... and btw i have no intention to bring heavy atmospheres / politics in here..."

Yeah.. Bull$417

your post was in direct response to a newspaper article about FACT to which you responded with supposedly other peoples thoughts of people based on there accent.

Wombat
22nd March 2003, 23:16
Originally posted by capt. marvel
"This post is not intended to be offensive to any U.S. citizens... but... it's what i have encounted... and btw i have no intention to bring heavy atmospheres / politics in here..."

Yeah.. Bull$417

your post was in direct response to a newspaper article about FACT to which you responded with supposedly other peoples thoughts of people based on there accent. I see that you haven't been around here long. You might want to take it under advisement that you should refrain from posting here still, until you learn how to treat other MURCers with respect. Act like an adult, or you will be shown the door - it doesn't happen often, but it happens when it needs to.

Good day.

lecter
22nd March 2003, 23:57
I just want to say that I consider the "news item" in the 1st post cheap wartime propaganda...It may be necessary for morale, but I think that on an international forum such as this there really is no need for "Uncle Sa(dda)m wants you" type material. This subforum should be a nice place to hang out, not a vent for stuff like this.

DGhost
23rd March 2003, 01:00
Originally posted by capt. marvel

Yeah.. Bull$417

I thought we were still allowed to say bullshit? when did the mods take this priviledge away?

OOOOhh. Wait. You are trying to swear without acctually swearing. I get it now.

That has gotta be the lamest thing I have seen in a long time.

Next time either speak l33t the whole time or be a man and say the goddamn word.

SpiralDragon
23rd March 2003, 02:42
Originally posted by gtforty
For one of the largest country in the world (land mass) we have one of the smallest military budget.

IMHO that is a good thing.... one of the reasons why i want to imigrate to canada..... couse where there is less military spending there is more spending on education an cultural exploration ... at least from what i have seen... please feel free to corect me...

GT98
23rd March 2003, 07:32
Originally posted by SpiralDragon
IMHO that is a good thing.... one of the reasons why i want to imigrate to canada..... couse where there is less military spending there is more spending on education an cultural exploration ... at least from what i have seen... please feel free to corect me...

Reason they don't spend that much is that they are defened by defalt by the US :D :p

gt40
23rd March 2003, 08:44
Spiral: Yes we do have excellent education and cultural programs as well as free medicare. But not without cost - we are taxed quite heavily.

Gt98: Sad but true - I wonder how readily that would come in the future if required now that Mr Creten has decided to not support the U.S.

SpiralDragon
23rd March 2003, 09:00
well .. at least you are getting something inreturn of your taxes.... unlike us here in leb... we taxes are increasing and the only thing hapening is this.... the rich are getting richer the poor poorer... education sux big time here and the public shcools are so bad we are better off with out them.... roads are chaeeply made.. they have to be compleetly renovated twice a year... end even then they cut corners... trust me .. better to pay taxes and enjoy the benefits rather than to pay them and get nothing... medicare is a joke here. :(

capt. marvel
23rd March 2003, 17:18
are you talking to me???

Sasq
23rd March 2003, 17:27
Sigh, yes he was.

Read lots, work out how we follow politeness rules here.

DO NOT TROLL. We generally have a short fuse when it comes to that.

Dan

bambam
23rd March 2003, 17:43
Well since the "lounge" is totally taken over with the same politics the "soapbox" was notorious and closed down for, I think this entire forum should be shut down until after the illegal American invasion of Iraq is repelled. The bodies of American soldiers are the front page of my local paper and it looks like the US gov't has screwed up, again. My only hope is that the US/Brit armies get a bloody nose (as opposed to total humiliation and heavy losses) for their illegal actions and run home very soon. Bush is total idiot as most of the intelligent world recognizes it. Also this "war" is so long from over and the reality of how incredibly stupid the US gov't has been will become clearly apparent very soon. I totally applaud Canada, Mexico, Russia, France, Germany for their refusal to be another lapdog to US policy. And it is shameful how protestors are viewed so negatively by many on the forum.

I have only one question to ask:

If Al Gore was President would the US be at war? If you answer no, than this illegal invasion is more about Junior Bush than Saddam the tinpot dictator.

capt. marvel
23rd March 2003, 17:54
I dont need to read lots just read the post I REPLIED to. I guess its ok to call people retards if you preface it with "this isn't meant to offend" but you can't post bad news about Montreal I guess' or what ever nerve I hit because I did'nt post anything bad.... I just told the poster before me he did.....And if you can't speak the truth here I guess you might as well ban me.

And I dont care about geek speak.

So go ahead and kick me off after so many years because the hockey game post if that makes you feel good and delete my post so everyone wont read it.

Dr Mordrid
23rd March 2003, 17:55
Check the new thread "Smoking gun" for why this invasion is NOT illegal.

Dr. Mordrid

Sasq
23rd March 2003, 17:58
Capt. Marvel, I sugest you read the replies to his post, that are between yours and his.

I read his post as asking for comments about other peoples perceptions. Maybe it could have been in a new thread, but it wasn't. the post was answered.

Rule 1) Think before you type
Rule 2) see rule 1

Dan

KvHagedorn
23rd March 2003, 18:00
Don't bother responding to him, Doc. He can't hear you. ;)

GT98
23rd March 2003, 18:11
Originally posted by bambam
If Al Gore was President would the US be at war? If you answer no, than this illegal invasion is more about Junior Bush than Saddam the tinpot dictator.

Nope there would be more terrorist attacks in the USA, because they would think that lobbing a couple cruise missiles into Afghanistan would "fix" the problem

So much for your Illegal war....ask the 4 people who where killed execution style that you saw in your local paper. I dont get where your getting this is an illegal war....Iraq has broken every resolution that the UN has passed in the last 12 years. If you had any semblance of Law and Order this problem would have been taken care of a long time ago. Too bad most people in the world dont have the guts to stand up to put an end to renegade states. If anything.....I know if I was an GI over there in Iraq and saw what happened to those soldiers that where killed illegally, it would increase my resolve to finish the war.

Dr Mordrid
23rd March 2003, 18:11
Being from Texas, I can assure you that we have our share of idiots down here....And a non-Texan accent is most certainly no gurantee of common sense OR survival instincts. Current events are a sure sign of that :rolleyes:

Dr. Mordrid

Jon P. Inghram
23rd March 2003, 18:12
Originally posted by Sasq

Rule 1) Think before you type
Rule 2) see rule 1

You're being rather optimistic, Sasq. :D

GinoCyber
23rd March 2003, 19:23
Getting back to the hockey game, the Toronto fans gave a loud cheer during the American anthem. Difference between Toronto and Quebec are English and French:)

If it makes anyone feel better, the VP of the Canadians blasted the boo'ers and send a letter of apology to the US sports networks. Next game in Montreal had no boo's.

Ciao

Pace|Work
23rd March 2003, 20:20
Originally posted by Dr Mordrid
'nuff said. Ajami and Sahara Khlis said it better than anyone else could. Shame on those who chose not to listen before the Marines arrived.

Dr. Mordrid

CC: Jacques Chirac, Gerhard Schröder, Jean Chretien, Vladimir Putin, Jiang Zemin et. al. Did your CC list deny that Saddam was an evil dictator that wasn't liked by all his people?

Dr Mordrid
23rd March 2003, 20:23
No....that's a given. The CC was for those who enabled his atrocities by their actions in the UN and otherwise.

Dr. Mordrid

Pace|Work
23rd March 2003, 20:47
Ah, I see, I see. So, no news then?