Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• car: automatic gearbox questions...

Hello,

I recently bought a new car (VW Polo) and opted for an automatic gearbox (not as straightforward here in Belgium as it is in the US ). The technical data stated it would be an "Auto DSP4" and the dealer-salesman told me this allows for manual shifting (semi-automatic) as well.

Yesterday, I first saw the car (it had arrived, but the papers still haven't) and I noticed the gear-lever. It has a traditional automatic stick (with the PRND321-positions), and nothing more (at first sight; I only saw the car from the outside).

Is this a traditional automatic gearbox, or a DSP that doesn't allow manual shifting (does this exist) ?
    To put it in other words: is VW wrong in its specs, or was the dealer wrong with his comment about manual shifting ? What exactly would be the differences between a traditional automatic gearbox and a DSP (or is the latter a cute name for the former) ?

What would you do if this happened to you ?

Jörg
    pixar
    Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Perhaps the salesman was referring to the 1-2-3 as manual shifting???

Personally, I don't like automatics, but they do have their uses.
    The Welsh support two teams when it comes to rugby. Wales of course, and anyone else playing England

Comment

Paddy: well, the 1-2-3 is actually an upper limit (e.g. when you put it in 2, it shifts automatically between 1-2); needed for driving in mountains (to brake on the engine). It does not permit one to "force" a certain gear.
      (I need an automatic in order to get rid of the clutch, which, due to some health problems would make driving more painfull.)

I just went to the dealer, and it turns out the salesman was wrong. This means the allthough the gearbox is a DSP, it does not allow manual shifting. (he showed me an Audi A4 which also has a DSP without manual gearchange, but where the manual shift-ability is an optional extra - this option does not exist on my car).
      Guess I was upset too fast...

Anybody here who can explain the difference between a "regular" automatic, and a DSP ?
      (just curious)

Jörg
      Last edited by VJ; 22 March 2003, 08:52.
      pixar

Comment

IIRC DSP performs like automatic, but enables you to switch to semi automatic mode, where you switch gears by pushing the lever up or down.

That said, I've only driven automatic once for a few minutes and it was weird.

I've driven this one in the army:

Comment

I assumed VJ knew that much, but I figured he was asking how the actual tranny works. VJ: Try www.howstuffworks.com?

Comment

Dynamic Shift Program. Looks like it's just a "smarter" powertrain controller.

Comment

automatic is for women
              no matrox, no matroxusers.

Comment

I drove a semi... syncronized manuals are for wimps.

Comment

Volkswagem/Audi electronic gearbox is the tiptronic, wich I believe isn´t available for the Polo. You have been ripped off.

Comment

Seems like thats about 99% of Americans!

DJ

Comment

Originally posted by Nuno
                      Volkswagem/Audi electronic gearbox is the tiptronic, wich I believe isn´t available for the Polo. You have been ripped off.
                      Well, they claim it is an automatic gearbox (with DSP internals), but without the manual shifting (tiptronic) option... (Polo is smaller than Golf, I believe not available in the US) Apparantly, there are Audi A4 models in which the tiptronic is an additional option to the automatic gearbox. Only thing is: I never heard of a DSP that doesn't allow manual shifting...

KoolDino: yes, that was what I was referring to: the difference between "automatic" and "dsp without manual shift option".

Jörg
                      Last edited by VJ; 24 March 2003, 01:47.
                      pixar

Comment

I still find the references on the VW website; see

On the right (in "quicklinks") there is an option "car configurator" (might need to use up/down arrow next to quicklinks to view it).
                        First you click the left (agreement with the notice). If you then choose Polo (second one, first column), you get a screen with 4 drop down menus. Click the bottom one: "versnellingsbak" (=gearbox). There, there is an "Auto DSP4". This is the gearbox I have. While it claims to be a DSP, there is no "manual shift" possible. (which is where the salesman was wrong: he also assumed DSP implied this manual shift option).
                        So now I'm wondering if this is a true DSP (and if so: what are the benefits in comparison to a regular automatic gearbox).

Jörg
                        pixar

Comment

Originally posted by DJ
                          Seems like thats about 99% of Americans!

DJ
                          Yeah we have alot of lazy ****ers around here

I love my 6 speed
                          Why is it called tourist season, if we can't shoot at them?

Comment

DSP, Steptronic and whatever versions of "manual" automatics out there all use an automatic transmission, except you have the option of selecting when you want to shift. The exception is BMW's SMG (Sequential Manual Gearbox), which is a true clutchless manual, and some exotic sports cars. There are a few other companies working on an SMG like transmission.

Basically, those types of transmissions offer no real advantage over a standard automatic. Especially since many of them are built in with 'fail safe' devices which will shift for you if the computer thinks your reving too high for that gear.

I love manual transmissions, but the wifey has no clue how to drive one

Jammrock
                            “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
                            –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Originally posted by Jammrock
                              DSP, Steptronic and whatever versions of "manual" automatics out there all use an automatic transmission, except you have the option of selecting when you want to shift.
                              That is just it: the VW website and the sales-contract state "Auto DSP4 gearbox", yet there is no ability in the car to shift manually.
                              Can this be considered a DSP (according to VW: yes) ? If so, in what sense does it differ from a "regular" automatic ?

Jörg
                              pixar

Comment

Working...
                              X