Help! Killed my Parhelia!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help! Killed my Parhelia!

Hi there, today I killed my Parhelia. I was removing the HP80A cooler and brake a SMD. In the attached picture the SMD is showed.

Can somebody messure this SMD so that I can replace it.
    Attached Files
    System:
    P III-S 1.4@1.52
    512 MB SDR-Ram
    Gigabyte-6IEML
    Matrox Parhelia

Think you can get a closer shot of the part?
    I won't be able to check until I get back in work Monday. A rough guess from the pic and pad size of the part, its probably a Ceramic Capacitor for one of the voltage regulators, but I'd be surprised if the board doesn't work at all without it (unless its the only filter cap at the output of the regulator). Probably something like 2.2uF, but I don't know for sure.

Comment

Gohan, are there any markings on the part?

If you want to make a better picture - put it on your scanner- this make a very good picture. We may be able to identify it from a good picture. Mesuring it may not be possible - because of other components connected to it.
      Yeah, well I'm gonna build my own lunar space lander! With blackjack aaaaannd Hookers! Actually, forget the space lander, and the blackjack. Ahhhh forget the whole thing!

Comment

Here is the closer look:
        System:
        P III-S 1.4@1.52
        512 MB SDR-Ram
        Gigabyte-6IEML
        Matrox Parhelia

Comment

Perhaps you might ask Matrox directly...
          Let us return to the moon, to stay!!!

Comment

Defenitely a capacitor.. chances are that C794 is the same value as C797, if they are both used on a DC supply line.. hard to tell without having a card here.. If only I had a Parhelia, I could measure the value for you at work. I wonder if Matrox would give you this info
            We have enough youth - What we need is a fountain of smart!

i7-920, 6GB DDR3-1600, HD4870X2, Dell 27" LCD

Comment

I'll let you know the value of that cap on Monday. Rough guess from the size (1206 package I think) and voltage its probably going to be in the 4.7uF to 10uF range.

Comment

Looks like you for certain cliped C800 as well as perhaps one or two other things...
                "And yet, after spending 20+ years trying to evolve the user interface into something better, what's the most powerful improvement Apple was able to make? They finally put a god damned shell back in." -jwz

Comment

I believe on the 128 BM Version are many free places

@rylan: Great Thank!
                  System:
                  P III-S 1.4@1.52
                  512 MB SDR-Ram
                  Gigabyte-6IEML
                  Matrox Parhelia

Comment

C800's just got some wierd looking pads, no hints of a violently removed capacitor there. But, look at those big square grids of solder points, you knocked all your RAM off! Seriously, I hope you get it fixed Gohan. And, just out of morbid curiosity, just how did you knock that little part off anyway?

Comment

Yeah.. i just checked the back of my board and there is nothing there... the darkness of the picture made it look like there were some pieces still there... doh...
                      "And yet, after spending 20+ years trying to evolve the user interface into something better, what's the most powerful improvement Apple was able to make? They finally put a god damned shell back in." -jwz

Comment

Originally posted by Jon P. Inghram
                        Seriously, I hope you get it fixed Gohan. And, just out of morbid curiosity, just how did you knock that little part off anyway?
                        Don't know, after removing the heatpipe cooler I stored the card somwhere on my desk. A few days later I was looking for the points for the voltagemod, and suddenly I saw that there was something missing.

In the meanwhile I've increased my solder skills by solder a voltagemod on a GeForce3
                        System:
                        P III-S 1.4@1.52
                        512 MB SDR-Ram
                        Gigabyte-6IEML
                        Matrox Parhelia

Comment

Sorry I didn't get back till now.
                          I removed C794 from the board and measured as a 1uF cap. Its a ceramic type capacitor, I don't know the voltage rating etc, but to be safe try to replace it with at least a 10v rated part, with X5R or X7R dielectric.

Comment

Is this polarized, I don't see any markings on the board?

edit :Actually being ceramic type this this has answered the question.
                            Yeah, well I'm gonna build my own lunar space lander! With blackjack aaaaannd Hookers! Actually, forget the space lander, and the blackjack. Ahhhh forget the whole thing!

Comment

Originally posted by rylan
                              Sorry I didn't get back till now.
                              I removed C794 from the board and measured as a 1uF cap. Its a ceramic type capacitor, I don't know the voltage rating etc, but to be safe try to replace it with at least a 10v rated part, with X5R or X7R dielectric.
                              THANKS! We will see if i get this baby running again
                              System:
                              P III-S 1.4@1.52
                              512 MB SDR-Ram
                              Gigabyte-6IEML
                              Matrox Parhelia

Comment

Working...
                              X