• Show
Clear All

• Trying to Help by Dennis Miller

Pretty Good read

"TRYING TO HELP"
    By Dennis Miller

All the rhetoric on whether or not we should go to war against Iraq has
    got my little brain spinning like a top. I enjoy reading opinions from
    both sides, but I've detected a hint of confusion from some of you.
    Maybe this can help.

As I was reading the paper recently, I was reminded of the best advice
    anyone ever gave me. He told me about the "KISS" method ("Keep It
    Simple, Stupid!"). So with this as a theme, I'd like to apply this
    theory for those who don't quite get it. My hope is that we can
    simplify things and recognize a few important facts.

Here are ten things to consider when voicing an opinion on this
    important issue:

(1) Between President Bush and Saddam Hussein ... Hussein is the bad
    guy.

(2) If you have faith in the United Nations to do the right things,
    keep this in mind: the UN has Libya heading the Committee on Human
    Rights and Iraq heading the Global Disarmament Committee. Do your own
    math here.

(3) If you use a Google or Yahoo search and type in "French Military
    Victories," don't be surprised if your computer panics at its inability
    to respond to your inquiry.

(4) If your only anti-war slogan is "No War For Oil," hire a pit bull
    lawyer and sue your school district for having allowed you to slip
    through the cracks and robbing you of the minimum education that any
    non-troglodyte deserves

(5) You can take this one to the bank: Saddam and bin Laden will NOT
    seek UN approval before they try to kill us.

(6) Despite common belief among some, Martin Sheen is NOT the
    President. He only plays one on TV.

(7) If you are anti-war and even an outright "America Basher," to bin
    Laden >you are still an "infidel" whom he wants dead.

(8) Be careful: if you believe in a "vast right-wing conspiracy," but
    not in the danger that Hussein poses, the only job you may be able to
    get is as >an Ivy League college professor.

(9) Even multi-culturalists who try to browbeat us into believing that
    all cultures are equally deserving of respect have trouble explaining
    the past 500 years of Islam.

(10) Whether you are for or against military action, our young men and
    women overseas are fighting to defend our right to speak out on these
    issues. They deserve our unreserved support.
    Why is it called tourist season, if we can't shoot at them?

That's cute, and so very true. The odds it was written by Dennis Miller? Slim to none, like everything else I see attributed to him on a regular basis.

- Gurm

P.S. Yes, I lost all respect for Miller when he became a football commentator. He _IS_ still good for one thing though - since 100% of sports fans and commentators don't understand a damn thing he says, it proves my point about their stupidity... since he just isn't that smart.
    The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
    If only life were as easy as you
    I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
    I would still get screwed

Comment

You use every chance you have to push some anti-sport crap, don't you

It's funny, whoever wrote it.

Jammrock
      “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
      –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

I'll voice the opposite opinion, it is blatant propaganda. The sign of propaganda is it is extreme exagerations and lies intermixed with enough truth to get you to believe all of it.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian R.
          I'll voice the opposite opinion, it is blatant propaganda. The sign of propoganda is it is extreme exagerations intermixed with enough truth to get you to believe all of it.
          Well he is a comedian and I just read over on Foxnews that he said on the Jay Leno show that hes Pro-bush.
          Why is it called tourist season, if we can't shoot at them?

Comment

Sorry, I edited my post after you responded. Are you sure that it is actually attributable to Miller?

Comment

Well here's a counterpoint from an English Comic - Terry Jones, from Monty Python. I think it is immensley more funny. Must be a cultural difference

A letter to the London Observer from Terry Jones (yes, of Monty Python). Sunday January 26, 2003 The Observer

I'm really excited by George Bush's latest reason for bombing Iraq: he's
              running out of patience. And so am I! For some time now I've been really
              pissed off with Mr Johnson, who lives a couple of doors down the street.
              Well, him and Mr Patel, who runs the health food shop. They both give me
              queer looks, and I'm sure Mr Johnson is planning something nasty for me,
              but so far I haven't been able to discover what.
              I've been round to his place a few times to see what he's up to, but he's
              got everything well hidden. That's how devious he is. As for Mr Patel,
              don't ask me how I know, I just know - from very good sources that he is, in
              reality, a Mass Murderer. I have leafleted the street telling them that if
              we don't act first, he'll pick us off one by one.
              Some of my neighbours say, if I've got proof, why don't I go to the
              police?
              But that's simply ridiculous. The police will say that they need evidence
              of a crime with which to charge my neighbours. They'll come up with endless
              red tape and quibbling about the rights and wrongs of a pre-emptive strike and
              all the while Mr Johnson will be finalising his plans to do terrible
              things to me, while Mr Patel will be secretly murdering people.
              Since I'm the only one in the street with a decent range of automatic
              firearms, I reckon it's up to me to keep the peace. But until recently
              that's been a little difficult. Now, however, George W. Bush has made it
              clear that all I need to do is run out of patience, and then I can wade in
              and do whatever I want!
              And let's face it, Mr Bush's carefully thought-out policy towards Iraq is
              the only way to bring about international peace and security. The one certain way to stop Muslim fundamentalist suicide bombers targeting the US or the UK is to bomb a few Muslim countries that have never threatened us. That's why I want to blow up Mr Johnson's garage and kill his wife and children. Strike first! That'll teach them a lesson. Then he'll leave us in peace and stop peering at me in that totally unacceptable way. Mr Bush makes it clear that all he needs to know before bombing Iraq is that Saddam is a really nasty man and that he has weapons of mass destruction - even if no one can find them. I'm certain I've just as much justification for killing Mr Johnson's wife and children as Mr Bush has for bombing Iraq. Mr Bush's long-term aim is to make the world a safer place by eliminating 'rogue states' and 'terrorism'. It's such a clever long-term aim because how can you ever know when you've achieved it?
              How will Mr Bush know when he's wiped out all terrorists? When every single terrorist is dead? But then a terrorist is only a terrorist once he's committed an act of terror. What about would-be terrorists? These are the ones you really want to eliminate, since most of the known terrorists, being suicide bombers, have already eliminated themselves. Perhaps Mr Bush needs to wipe out everyone who could possibly be a future terrorist? Maybe he can't be sure he's achieved his objective until every Muslim fundamentalist is dead? But then some moderate Muslims might convert to fundamentalism. Maybe the only really safe thing to do would be for Mr Bush to eliminate all Muslims?
              It's the same in my street. Mr Johnson and Mr Patel are just the tip of the iceberg. There are dozens of other people in the street who I don't like and who - quite frankly - look at me in odd ways. No one will be really safe until I've wiped them all out.
              My wife says I might be going too far but I tell her I'm simply using the same logic as the President of the United
              States. That shuts her up.
              Like Mr Bush, I've run out of patience, and if that's a good enough reason for the President, it's good enough for me. I'm going to give the whole street two weeks - no, 10 days - to come out in the open and hand over all aliens and interplanetary hijackers, galactic outlaws and interstellar
              terrorist masterminds, and if they don't hand them over nicely and say 'Thank you', kingdom come. It's just as sane as what George W. Bush is proposing - and, in contrast to what he's intending, my policy will destroy only one street.

Comment

I read the post and the only thing I am unsure of is the Statement about the last 500 years of Islam...the rest of it is factual (or true when viewed from a western perspective).

I have nothing against Islam at all: one of my best friends through school was a Muslim Palestinian exchange student, and he was a pretty regular guy. There are Baptist Exremists just as there are Islamic Fundamentalists: Religion tends to take those who are easily swayed down paths that they would otherwise never follow.
                Hey, Donny! We got us a German who wants to die for his country... Oblige him. - Lt. Aldo Raine

Comment

LOL.

Sorry about the anti-sports rant. It just slipped out. I've been good for some time.

- Gurm
                  The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
                  I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
                  I would still get screwed

Comment

A letter to the London Observer from Terry Jones (yes, of Monty Python). Sunday January 26, 2003 The Observer
                    Your argument/point is valid using hypothetical scenarios. I have one to add: Let's say that you lost a loved one from a terrible crime such as murder. Now let's say you have gotten information that links that same neighbor to similar activities. Or we could say that the "neighbor" has been known to commit other terrible crimes in past. Maybe not the same exact crime, but a similar types that are terrible. Now that we have added these items into the mix, let's say that neighbor is giving me or my family members funny, or suspicious looks.

If you can still apply the same humor or points that are listed in the letter congratulations! You have graduated to my list of people I will not choose to associate with. I would also surmise you are an only child that was adopted since you obviously have no concept of loss from a family/human perspective.

I am not going to post the whole STUPID letter, just scroll back and read bambam's post. And to keep the record straight, I am NOT pointing this at bambam. This goes to Terry Jones the author. I will look into drafting this response to him as well.
                    Last edited by IM_Riktar; 20 March 2003, 13:17.
                    Perspective cannot be taught. It must be learned.

Comment

The following three are as true as they come.

(5) You can take this one to the bank: Saddam and bin Laden will NOT
                      seek UN approval before they try to kill us.

(7) If you are anti-war and even an outright "America Basher," to bin
                      Laden >you are still an "infidel" whom he wants dead.

(10) Whether you are for or against military action, our young men and
                      women overseas are fighting to defend our right to speak out on these
                      issues. They deserve our unreserved support.
                      Joel
                      Libertarian is still the way to go if we truly want a real change.

www.lp.org

System Specs: AMD XP2000+ @1.68GHz(12.5x133), ASUS A7V133-C, 512MB PC133, Matrox Parhelia 128MB, SB Live! 5.1.
                      Monitor: Cornerstone c1025 @ 1280x960 @85Hz.

Comment

IM_Riktar: it's called black humor.
                        no matrox, no matroxusers.

Comment

thop:
                          I should have qualified my response to the extent that I understood it was a point of black humor. I just feel very strongly about this as much as I would if someone tried to use black humor towards my personal experiences.

I try to never use that sort of humor myself. But to each his own.
                          Perspective cannot be taught. It must be learned.

Comment

Working...
                          X