Does editing like this make sense?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does editing like this make sense?

I am thinking of capturing using avi_io and Huffyuv and then converting these clips to MPEG II format using TMPGEnc. 2 Pass VBR, bit rate of 5000. I don't see much improvement with bit rates beyond that even at full 729x480 resolution.

I need to convert to MPEG II for two reasons:
    1. My editing program is Ulead VideoStudio 4.0 and it won't deal with Huffyuv encoded files.
    2. To make the file sizes more managable.

Any suggestions? Do you see any problems I may run into?

One more question:

I've been reading that if the final output will be to tape then you should not de-interlace the video. How much worse will the tape output quality be if the video is de-interlaced. I usually use smart de-interlacer with Virtual Dub.

Thanks,

Mark
    - Mark

Core 2 Duo E6400 o/c 3.2GHz - Asus P5B Deluxe - 2048MB Corsair Twinx 6400C4 - ATI AIW X1900 - Seagate 7200.10 SATA 320GB primary - Western Digital SE16 SATA 320GB secondary - Samsung SATA Lightscribe DVD/CDRW- Midiland 4100 Speakers - Presonus Firepod - Dell FP2001 20" LCD - Windows XP Home

You may end up with a final video that has gone through a lot of encoding cycles - and starts to show artifacts.

Yes - you need to retain interlacing if final video is to be shown on interlaced system (e.g. TV). You will certainly notice the difference between interlaced and non-interlaced source - hte non-interlaced can look jerky especially with large movement in a scene.
    Phil
    AMD XP 1600+ ,MSI K7TPro2-RU, 512Mb, 20Gb System, 40Gb RAID0 , HP 9110 CD-RW, Pioneer DVD/CD, Windows 2000 Pro SP2, ATI RADEON 7000, Agere OHCI 1394, DX8.1, MSP 6.5, Midiman USB AudioSport Quattro (4 channel 24bit/96Khz sound unit)

Comment

Actually the re-encoding artifacts shouldn't be a problem as long as I set VideoStudio's bit rate to what it reports the clips are. Then it won't re-render anything except transition effects and such.

Thanks for the advice.
      - Mark

Core 2 Duo E6400 o/c 3.2GHz - Asus P5B Deluxe - 2048MB Corsair Twinx 6400C4 - ATI AIW X1900 - Seagate 7200.10 SATA 320GB primary - Western Digital SE16 SATA 320GB secondary - Samsung SATA Lightscribe DVD/CDRW- Midiland 4100 Speakers - Presonus Firepod - Dell FP2001 20" LCD - Windows XP Home

Comment

There's a new minor update to HuffYUV (2.1.1) that changes the initialization handling and bit-depth settings to work better with Premiere and VS; might be handy.

Comment

Working...
        X