SiS 746FX Chipset Review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SiS 746FX Chipset Review

The conclusions to be drawn from the SiS 746FX chipset are a mixed bag. First, the performance of the chipset is nothing spectacular, though it has brought SiS onto the same levels as the KT400 chipset but not quite to the levels of the KT400A and nForce2 chipset. Where SiS does top the charts is in the price category – they are known for having some of the least expensive motherboards on the market coming from manufacturers like ECS. The cost issue may be enough to keep the SiS 746FX chipset alive for some time.

However, with the recent announcement from SiS about the upcoming 748 chipset that is going to offer the Athlon XP processor much improved memory performance as well as 400 MHz FSB support. I would expect to see a jump on the order of the KT400A versus the KT400 in memory performance from the new SiS 748 chipset based on the preliminary specs I am seeing. If they can keep the cost of that chipset down low enough AND get it to the market fast enough, they may have a winner on their hands.

In the end, its hard to recommend the SiS 746FX chipset at the current time as there are just too many other options from VIA and NVIDIA that are just better overall choices. If cost is a big concern, and you need a motherboard in the $50-60 range, then perhaps you might want to take a look into a board based on this chipset.
    According to the latest official figures, 43% of all statistics are totally worthless...

Yet another review where the conclussion doesn't match the figures

If you look through their benchmark results the difference between the chipsets is about 2% in most, with the KT400 behind by a bigger percentage on some. They perform better in certain things and worse in others. The conclussion from those figures is that there is very little peformance difference between the 746FX, KT400A and nForce2 chipsets.

In any case performance isn't the only factor when determining which chipset is the best to buy
    When you own your own business you only have to work half a day. You can do anything you want with the other twelve hours.

Comment

How many really good mobo reviews have you read?

I haven't read many.........(read a lot of pointless rehersals of the specs from the mobo makers homepage....)
      If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

Yeah. I'll take that 2% hit in order to NEVER HAVE TO INSTALL LATENCY PATCHES GOD DAMMIT.

- Gurm
        The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
        If only life were as easy as you
        I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
        If only life were as easy as you
        I would still get screwed

Comment

Working...
        X