Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Chages filed in the Elizabeth Smart case....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chages filed in the Elizabeth Smart case....

Elizabeth Smart;

aggravated kidnapping
    aggravated burglary
    aggravated sexual assault

Of her cousin a couple of weeks later;

attempted aggravated kidnapping
    attempted aggravated burglary

Aggravated kidnapping carries a penalty of six years to life in prison.

Aggravated burglary is also a first-degree felony, with no minimum and a maximum sentence of life in prison.

Aggravated sexual assault is a first-degree felony, with a minimum prison sentence of six years and a maximum of life.

$10 million USD bond each

Hope they send the SOB's away 'til hell freezes over

Dr. Mordrid
    Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 18 March 2003, 13:29.
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

What, no statutory rape?

Jammrock
    “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
    –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Originally posted by Jammrock
      What, no statutory rape?

Jammrock
      A bet the family refuses to press charges on that one. Maybe they can lie to themselves that it didn't happen that way.

Then again, they could be saving that for a "back-up" case, and/or would just prefer that Elizabeth not be assaulted on the stand by the defense attorney.
      Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Yeah. If they charge "aggravated sexual assault", they don't HAVE to put her on the stand. If they charge "rape", the accused has the right to confront his accuser. Yet another sad example of how our "justice" system punishes the victim.

- Gurm
        The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
        If only life were as easy as you
        I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
        I would still get screwed

Comment

Yup. As such the family doesn't want the rape charges applied to minimize the psychological damage, but as far as public release of the details goes it's alread online. Someone got hold of the public filing of the criminal complaint & posted the whole thing

OTOH: given that the max for aggravated sexual assault is life and that the trial will be held in Utah there isn't likely much of a difference between rape and ASA. Both have the same max sentence and juries in Utah are tough.....

Dr. Mordrid
          Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 19 March 2003, 07:24.
          Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Once Doc said that, there's only one place to look.

Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Mordrid
              and juries in Utah are tough.....

Dr. Mordrid

Yes, yes we are.
              "I dream of a better world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned."

Comment

*sigh*

So we were right, sadly. Poor kid was his "heaven-sent sex toy".

:'(

- Gurm
                The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
                I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
                I would still get screwed

Comment

Someone like that deserves a lot worse than life in prison (and no I don't mean the death penalty, that also let's them off too easy), though human rights activists would be up in arms over the punishment I would have inflicted on people of this type.

Sorry, that sound harsh, I just can't stand to think about something like that happening to say my own daughter, much less what I'd want to do to the guy (or girl if that was the case).

“And, remember: there's no 'I' in 'irony'” ~ Merlin Mann

Comment

Maybe I am just Naive, but why can't we put prisoners to work doing some usefull for the community? I can think of a million different projects they could do to help.
                    "I dream of a better world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned."

Comment

Some of them do. However the problem comes into play when you have felons that have commited crimes such as murder, rape, assault, etc. (when their involvement takes place in a public area). Otherwise some prison already have inmates stamp out license plates and other jobs like that. There are a few that even contract out inmates to handle mail order catalogue purchases or such (makes you think twice doesn't it).

Depending on the crime these programs can be productive, however with others it's simply not a good idea.
                      “And, remember: there's no 'I' in 'irony'” ~ Merlin Mann

Comment

Originally posted by Byock
                        Maybe I am just Naive, but why can't we put prisoners to work doing some usefull for the community? I can think of a million different projects they could do to help.
                        In this case I defintaley not although with perhaps much smaller crimes maybe.
                        Apparently in this country people who charged to do community service half the time don't bother turning up.
                        Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
                        Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

The newest rumor is that Elizabeth Smart is pregnant. That would truly suck, but the Mormon church allows abortion is cases of some rape situations... don't know though, just a rumor.

Jammrock
                          “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
                          –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Originally posted by Jammrock
                            The newest rumor is that Elizabeth Smart is pregnant. That would truly suck, but the Mormon church allows abortion is cases of some rape situations... don't know though, just a rumor.

Jammrock
                            This would suck.. but to kill the child of such a beautiful girl would be doubly criminal. The poor kid would have to live with such a legacy, though..

Comment

Personally I'd hang him from his dork until it rotted and fell off. Next I'd put him into Michigans Jackson State Prison (aka: Hell on Earth) and introduce him to his new husband Mustafah

Dr. Mordrid
                              Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 20 March 2003, 00:21.
                              Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Working...
                              X