PDA

View Full Version : Chages filed in the Elizabeth Smart case....

Dr Mordrid
18th March 2003, 12:02
Elizabeth Smart;

aggravated kidnapping
aggravated burglary
aggravated sexual assault

Of her cousin a couple of weeks later;

attempted aggravated kidnapping
attempted aggravated burglary

Aggravated kidnapping carries a penalty of six years to life in prison.

Aggravated burglary is also a first-degree felony, with no minimum and a maximum sentence of life in prison.

Aggravated sexual assault is a first-degree felony, with a minimum prison sentence of six years and a maximum of life.

$10 million USD bond each

Hope they send the SOB's away 'til hell freezes over :mad: :mad:

Dr. Mordrid

Jammrock
18th March 2003, 13:32
What, no statutory rape?

Jammrock

Wombat
18th March 2003, 13:57
Originally posted by Jammrock
What, no statutory rape?

Jammrock A bet the family refuses to press charges on that one. Maybe they can lie to themselves that it didn't happen that way.

Then again, they could be saving that for a "back-up" case, and/or would just prefer that Elizabeth not be assaulted on the stand by the defense attorney.

Gurm
19th March 2003, 04:52
Yeah. If they charge "aggravated sexual assault", they don't HAVE to put her on the stand. If they charge "rape", the accused has the right to confront his accuser. Yet another sad example of how our "justice" system punishes the victim.

- Gurm

Dr Mordrid
19th March 2003, 06:21
Yup. As such the family doesn't want the rape charges applied to minimize the psychological damage, but as far as public release of the details goes it's alread online. Someone got hold of the public filing of the criminal complaint & posted the whole thing :rolleyes:

OTOH: given that the max for aggravated sexual assault is life and that the trial will be held in Utah there isn't likely much of a difference between rape and ASA. Both have the same max sentence and juries in Utah are tough.....

Dr. Mordrid

Wombat
19th March 2003, 09:30
Once Doc said that, there's only one place to look.

http://www.thesmokinggun.com/doc_o_day/doc_o_day.shtml

Byock
19th March 2003, 09:35
Originally posted by Dr Mordrid
and juries in Utah are tough.....

Dr. Mordrid

Yes, yes we are. :D

Gurm
19th March 2003, 10:43
*sigh*

So we were right, sadly. Poor kid was his "heaven-sent sex toy".

:( :( :( :( :'(

- Gurm

Jessterw
19th March 2003, 11:52
Someone like that deserves a lot worse than life in prison (and no I don't mean the death penalty, that also let's them off too easy), though human rights activists would be up in arms over the punishment I would have inflicted on people of this type.

Sorry, that sound harsh, I just can't stand to think about something like that happening to say my own daughter, much less what I'd want to do to the guy (or girl if that was the case).

:(

Byock
19th March 2003, 11:55
Maybe I am just Naive, but why can't we put prisoners to work doing some usefull for the community? I can think of a million different projects they could do to help.

Jessterw
19th March 2003, 12:23
Some of them do. However the problem comes into play when you have felons that have commited crimes such as murder, rape, assault, etc. (when their involvement takes place in a public area). Otherwise some prison already have inmates stamp out license plates and other jobs like that. There are a few that even contract out inmates to handle mail order catalogue purchases or such (makes you think twice doesn't it).

Depending on the crime these programs can be productive, however with others it's simply not a good idea.

The PIT
19th March 2003, 12:43
Originally posted by Byock
Maybe I am just Naive, but why can't we put prisoners to work doing some usefull for the community? I can think of a million different projects they could do to help.

In this case I defintaley not although with perhaps much smaller crimes maybe.
Apparently in this country people who charged to do community service half the time don't bother turning up.

Jammrock
19th March 2003, 13:11
The newest rumor is that Elizabeth Smart is pregnant. That would truly suck, but the Mormon church allows abortion is cases of some rape situations... don't know though, just a rumor.

Jammrock

KvHagedorn
19th March 2003, 22:17
The newest rumor is that Elizabeth Smart is pregnant. That would truly suck, but the Mormon church allows abortion is cases of some rape situations... don't know though, just a rumor.

Jammrock

This would suck.. but to kill the child of such a beautiful girl would be doubly criminal. The poor kid would have to live with such a legacy, though..

Dr Mordrid
19th March 2003, 23:19
Personally I'd hang him from his dork until it rotted and fell off. Next I'd put him into Michigans Jackson State Prison (aka: Hell on Earth) and introduce him to his new husband Mustafah :D

Dr. Mordrid

Chrono_Wanderer
19th March 2003, 23:44

Jammrock

That doesn't suck... that's sick! :eek:

Dr Mordrid
20th March 2003, 07:59
The police have already stated that she was tested and is not pregnant.

Dr. Mordrid

Tomasz
20th March 2003, 09:03
I am normally a relatively non-violent Catholic, but this case is an exception. I really want a piece of that blasphemous piece of (expletives deleted).

I don't know how you can punish that (more expletives deleted), although,

Personally I'd hang him from his dork until it rotted and fell off. Next I'd put him into Michigans Jackson State Prison (aka: Hell on Earth) and introduce him to his new husband Mustafah
that sounds about right.

Snake-Eyes
20th March 2003, 09:16
Originally posted by Dr Mordrid
Personally I'd hang him from his dork until it rotted and fell off. Next I'd put him into Michigans Jackson State Prison (aka: Hell on Earth) and introduce him to his new husband Mustafah :D

Dr. Mordrid
I agree with the sentiments one hundered percent.. but, um.. Please tell us you don't know Mustafah personally. ;) :D

j.k. :)