Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Isn't it about time for new soundcards ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Isn't it about time for new soundcards ?

Hello,

I'm waiting the arrival of some of the components of my new system. At present, I haven't bought a soundcard yet. I was thinking somewhere along the Audigy2 Platinum-range. (I don't need pro-grade audio, and like the firewire connection (not present on my mainboard) and the IR remote possibilities (seem usefull, as the PC is close to my TV -> dvd playback). Main uses would therefore be movie-playback and gaming.

However, what is the "normal" product-cycle of Creative (I seem to remember there wasn't much time between the Audigy and the Audigy2) ? Shouldn't it be about time for a new product ? Any rumours ?

Any other manufacturers that might have interesting prodcuts coming ? (Turtle Beach - their Santa Cruz is a relatively old card IIRC, ...)

Jörg
    pixar
    Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Creative has started shiping the Audigy2 Platinium eX cards, I have already orderd one to replace my old Audigy. I don't know if Creative will release more soundcards yet....

Comment

There will be an Audigy3 ... probably in 2004. They're already talking about EAX3/4 and whether or not they will require an Audigy3 to run...

- Gurm
      The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
      If only life were as easy as you
      I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
      I would still get screwed

Comment

I'd like to get a robust high quality soundcard without any bells and whistles ... kinda like the g400 of soundcards
        I want cinch i/o + optical i/o, 24/96 - that's all.
        no matrox, no matroxusers.

Comment

Just picked up an M-Audio Revolution. HUGE improvement, especially considering I don't really game anymore...
          Let us return to the moon, to stay!!!

Comment

Yeah the Revo looks really good. As its driver support matures, it's a serious contender, IMHO.

- Gurm
            The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

Comment

xHiFi, the "PC audiophile company" says it will have a new card this year. It may end up as vaporware...

I'm curious about the M-Audio Sonica or Sonica Theater to replace my Extigy. I'm still getting a lot of pops and clicks with it ... some times at least.

Besides, how much worse can the M-Audio drivers be vs. Creative?

Jammrock
              “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
              –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

My Revolution has yet to give me a BSD driver issue under a dualie. (Unlike someone else ...)

Comment

Originally posted by Jammrock
                  xHiFi, the "PC audiophile company" says it will have a new card this year. It may end up as vaporware...

I'm curious about the M-Audio Sonica or Sonica Theater to replace my Extigy. I'm still getting a lot of pops and clicks with it ... some times at least.

Besides, how much worse can the M-Audio drivers be vs. Creative?

Jammrock
                  Don't be surprised if you get pops and clicks another soundcard.
                  Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
                  Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

USB is your reason for pops and clicks. Insufficient bandwidth...
                    Let us return to the moon, to stay!!!

Comment

Yep. USB is sh.te for sound.

The Revo is a good card. My big problem with it is that currently a lot of the 3D sound in games is running in full-on software mode. Not a good thing.

- Gurm

Comment

m-audio: I just checked the m-audio website, but I don't see any references to European markets...

x-hifi: On their website, there seems to be only one page (showing the speakers that were talked about in another thread).

Waiting till 2004 might be too long (but it depends how good the onboard audio is . Any chance of Creative properly sorting out their SMP problems (e.g. because of hyperthreading) ? (I like the Audigy2 concept: with the remote and the firewire). Of course, one could manage with a different "stand alone" remote product and a seperate (probably more performant firewire card).

Any rumours from Turtle Beach ?

Jörg
                        pixar

Comment

Are the newer videologic (now Pure Digital) sonic explosions any different from the sonicFury (which was the european version of the TBSC)? Might be worth a look:

DM says: Crunch with Matrox Users@ClimatePrediction.net

Comment

The Crystal chips are hopelessly quagmired at this point, in poor licensing etc.

Creative WILL work out the SMP issues, essentially due to HyperThreading. They're already receiving MAJOR flak over it, and they pretty much HAVE to, since every Dell ever made will be shipping with an HT-enabled P4 pretty soon.

- Gurm

Comment

That 2004 time-frame for Creative, is that your own estimate, or do you have some sources indicating in that direction ?

Jörg
                              pixar

Comment

Working...
                              X