Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weird Network Problem. Please Help!

Hi all...

I have this nasty problem since a week ago...
    I hope you can help! Many thanks.

Scenario:

Recently I noticed a major degrade on network performance, so I open a command prompt and ping my ISP's dns server non stop. Apparently there are many request time outs.

But the problem is... the request time out (or really bad pings) only occurs when I'm using other net apps? Like IE and Outlook.

When PC is idle, the ping is very good.

Hmm... this is really strange.... did I touch some settings that I shouldn't have?

Thanks.
    P4 Northwood 1.8GHz@2.7GHz 1.65V Albatron PX845PEV Pro
    Running two Dell 2005FPW 20" Widescreen LCD
    And of course, Matrox Parhelia | My Matrox histroy: Mill-I, Mill-II, Mystique, G400, Parhelia

1/ do you have a firewall like zonealarm that could tell you what apps access the net?

2/ do you have IE plugins installed? (like google toolbar, yahoo companion, etc.)

Comment

Hi,

Just changed my realtek to the onboard 3com.
      3com is much smoother!! There were quite a lot of "spikes" with the realtek, don't know why...
      However, there are still dead packets with the 3com, although less.

Kurt:
      1. No firewall at all. I'm behind a cheap router which is very functional for more than six months.

2. Yes... how do you know that? I have google toolbar installed. I'll try to uninstall it now.

By the way I'm using MyIE2 instead of IE, shouldn't make any difference though.

Thanks.

EDIT:
      Update - uninstalled google toolbar, still same.

Also...
      - Netstat shows nothing interesting
      - Done virus/trojan check
      - Done ad-ware check
      Last edited by WyWyWyWy; 17 March 2003, 08:19.
      And of course, Matrox Parhelia | My Matrox histroy: Mill-I, Mill-II, Mystique, G400, Parhelia

Comment

Originally posted by WyWyWyWy
        3com is much smoother!! There were quite a lot of "spikes" with the realtek, don't know why...

Realtek Cheap secondrate cards.....

BTW try to unplug the "cheap" router and see if it change
        If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

Sorry I cannot try that because flatmates need net access.
          Anyway I'm 100% sure it is my PC, as they don't have the same problem. So it should not be a problem of router or hub or ISP.

Thanks.

By the way, Realtek real cheap. No more realtek I will not buy.

The only reason I was using my realtek is because I soldered some bl00 LEDs on it...

Comment

Still could be the port you are plugged into on the router. try a different port. Also, this sounds like a speed or duplex mismatch issue. Be sure and hard code both speed and duplex on the router and your nic card.

Dave
            Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Comment

Have you checked for any trojans or spyware on your system?
              Yeah, well I'm gonna build my own lunar space lander! With blackjack aaaaannd Hookers! Actually, forget the space lander, and the blackjack. Ahhhh forget the whole thing!

Comment

Helevitia:
                Very likely, although I have checked them already, I'll check again tonight...

GT40: Yes, as said in the second post.

Thanks guys.

By the way, 3com really rock.
                With my realtek, the best ping time I ever got is 43ms.
                But with the 3com, the best one I got now is 17ms, and very frequent too.

Comment

Originally posted by WyWyWyWy
                  Hi,

Just changed my realtek to the onboard 3com.
                  However, there are still dead packets with the 3com, although less.

Kurt:
                  1. No firewall at all. I'm behind a cheap router which is very functional for more than six months.

2. Yes... how do you know that? I have google toolbar installed. I'll try to uninstall it now.

By the way I'm using MyIE2 instead of IE, shouldn't make any difference though.

Thanks.

EDIT:
                  Update - uninstalled google toolbar, still same.

Also...
                  - Netstat shows nothing interesting
                  - Done virus/trojan check
                  - Done ad-ware check
                  been to windowsupdate recently? what's the OS? if it's win2k/xp, try uninstalling the hotfixes, also try uninstalling myie2. you might want to ty uninstalling-reinstalling the TCP/IP protocol. try to reinstall IE as well. I'm not sure what version of outlook you use, but they are pretty dependent on one another.

Comment

The other thing is, the realtek just sucks ass and it hands off the workload to your cpu and it has little buffer space so it drops packets in general.
                    And last, your cable could be bad.

Dave
                    Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Comment

Originally posted by Helevitia
                      The other thing is, the realtek just sucks ass and it hands off the workload to your cpu and it has little buffer space so it drops packets in general.

Dave
                      What do want for $15
                      Yeah, well I'm gonna build my own lunar space lander! With blackjack aaaaannd Hookers! Actually, forget the space lander, and the blackjack. Ahhhh forget the whole thing!

Comment

Originally posted by gtforty
                        What do want for $15
                        Hey, you could pick up just about any old DEC Tulip card for that one. The 21x40 are great chips. I know intel was still making them up until recently.
                        Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Originally posted by gtforty
                          What do want for $15
                          In fact, mine was only around us$5.

Comment

sorry, that's 15 cndn, so thats about 1.95 U.S. (j/k)

actually, havn't had any problems wth mine at all.

Wy, are you using Xp, as I've seen problems with Xp and certain nics

Comment

Working...
                            X