Stupid Win XP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stupid Win XP

WinXp opens Video files and adds them to the thumbs.db. However when the video file is damaged winxp never quits and still tries to open the file, killing performance and most importantly I can't delete the damn file!

Anyway to stop this? I don't want the damn preview and fancy thumbnails.

Found this once from some Usenet group:

---
    The obnoxious bug in XP that causes Explorer to read the entire contents of broken AVI files before allowing any access to them is caused by bad behavior of shmedia.dll.

This problem manifests itself by causing Explorer to read the entire contents of an AVI file, regarless of its size or location any time the mouse pointer is hovered over it, or an attempt is made to access it in windows explorer.

This causes 'permission denied' errors when trying to simply move, copy or delete these files as they cannot be changed while Explorer has an open handle on them.

This also causes a DoS situation where large AVI's are stored on remote shares and Explorer keeps reading the files from beginning to end each time they are accessed.

To correct this misbehavior in Windows XP, remove the following registry key.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\CLSID\{87D62D9 4-71B3-4b9a-9489-5FE6850DC73E}\InProcServer32

This will prevent Explorer from loading shmedia.dll in response to file property queries on these files.

This will not effect your ability to play files, get file attributes, or even view thumbnails.

Say goodbye to all explorer.exe 100% CPU issues.
    ---

Here's another possible solution:

Removing Preview options for images and others
    There's no place like 127.0.0.1

Comment

Thanks It worked

Comment

Cool post! Thanks!
        The Welsh support two teams when it comes to rugby. Wales of course, and anyone else playing England

Comment

Thanks Lucid.
          Does it affect anything else?
          P4 Northwood 1.8GHz@2.7GHz 1.65V Albatron PX845PEV Pro
          Running two Dell 2005FPW 20" Widescreen LCD
          And of course, Matrox Parhelia | My Matrox histroy: Mill-I, Mill-II, Mystique, G400, Parhelia

Comment

I have the same problem, but don't have that registry key!?

Any help?

AZ
            There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

Obviously I'm too stupid to find regkeys. Found it. Thanks

AZ
              There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

Thanks for this post, very usefull!!!

Comment

Working...
                X