Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Has Your Optical Mouse Ever Just Give Out?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Has Your Optical Mouse Ever Just Give Out?

Odd thing happened to my MX700 a few days ago. Was leaving for spring break on Thursday, decide I need to send a few emails before I leave. Move my MX700, doesn't respond at all. Check the base, unplug the UBS, plug it back in, same thing. Shut down the computer, use the PS2 adapter, turn it back on. Nada. So then I check out the mouse. The mouse is completely dead, no infared light (the tracking is via infared, right?), nothing. Put the mouse in the charger and leave it there for 30 minutes, but the green light never comes on that shows it is charging. Take off the mouse after that, still doesn't respond or anything. Take out batteries, put back in, same deal. It's like it just died. I put the batteries it had in my CD player, and it showed the batteries fully charged. When I would hit the connect button on the base, it would flash like it should, but when hitting it on the mouse to connect, nothing would happen.

So I was like wtf, but decided to leave it alone till I got back. Didn't put it on the charger, left computer off. Come back tonight and look at the mouse again. The led light on top of it is flashing red after I move it once (before it wouldn't even do this). Checked batteries with CD player again, it says they are fully charged. So I uninstall MouseWare, boot system back up, and the mouse works, light still flashes red though. Left it on the charger for 30 min, and it stopped flashing green meaning it was fully charged (but it takes longer than 30 min to charge the batteries if they are depleted). Anyway, the mouse works fine now, but I dunno what happened. Anyone got an explanation, heh?
    System Specs:
    Gigabyte 8INXP - Pentium 4 2.8@3.4 - 1GB Corsair 3200 XMS - Enermax 550W PSU - 2 80GB WDs 8MB cache in RAID 0 array - 36GB Seagate 15.3K SCSI boot drive - ATI AIW 9700 - M-Audio Revolution - 16x Pioneer DVD slot load - Lite-On 48x24x48x CD-RW - Logitech MX700 - Koolance PC2-601BW case - Cambridge MegaWorks 550s - Mitsubishi 2070SB 22" CRT

Our Father, who 0wnz heaven, j00 r0ck!
    May all 0ur base someday be belong to you!
    Give us this day our warez, mp3z, and pr0n through a phat pipe.
    And cut us some slack when we act like n00b lamerz,
    just as we teach n00bz when they act lame on us.
    For j00 0wn r00t on all our b0x3s 4ever and ever, 4m3n.

Sounds like either bad coding or bad electronics. I'd try to get the mouse replaced.
    Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

I forgot to add, the only thing that changed that day was that I got my Ratpadz GS and started using it. The mouse was working fine, left it on the pad when I went to work (was gone for 3 hours), come back and that's when it didn't work anymore. Could a mouse pad cause such a prob?
      System Specs:
      Gigabyte 8INXP - Pentium 4 2.8@3.4 - 1GB Corsair 3200 XMS - Enermax 550W PSU - 2 80GB WDs 8MB cache in RAID 0 array - 36GB Seagate 15.3K SCSI boot drive - ATI AIW 9700 - M-Audio Revolution - 16x Pioneer DVD slot load - Lite-On 48x24x48x CD-RW - Logitech MX700 - Koolance PC2-601BW case - Cambridge MegaWorks 550s - Mitsubishi 2070SB 22" CRT

Comment

I'll add another thing that sounds a bit odd. Night before the mouse went out, I come home to see that on my screen is a message saying that the device's wireless channel had been changed from 1 to 2. I never told it to change anything. I'm also sure that no one touched the computer (single person apt). I didn't think much of it though since the mouse still worked. But I thought I would add that in (BTW, I've been using this mouse for almost 2 months now, never been dropped, etc, never had probs till now).
        System Specs:

Comment

Hmm...
          Usually, in this sort of situation (especially single person appartments), I would say...

Ghosts
          P4 Northwood 1.8GHz@2.7GHz 1.65V Albatron PX845PEV Pro
          Running two Dell 2005FPW 20" Widescreen LCD
          And of course, Matrox Parhelia | My Matrox histroy: Mill-I, Mill-II, Mystique, G400, Parhelia

Comment

I've sort of had the same problem with my wireless optical (which is not a logitech). it wouldnt respong (no light), charging didnt do anything, half an hour later it worked again, this was about 4-5 months ago, havent had the problem since. If it happens again I'd take it back if I were you.
            Main Machine: Intel Q6600@3.33, Abit IP-35 E, 4 x Geil 2048MB PC2-6400-CL4, Asus Geforce 8800GTS 512MB@700/2100, 150GB WD Raptor, Highpoint RR2640, 3x Seagate LP 1.5TB (RAID5), NEC-3500 DVD+/-R(W), Antec SLK3700BQE case, BeQuiet! DarkPower Pro 530W

Comment

Well, I hope it doesn't do it again. I'd hate to have to RMA a mouse...
              System Specs:

Comment

Working...
              X