TMPGEnc 2-Pass encode

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TMPGEnc 2-Pass encode

Earlier today, I finished encoding a 17 minute 29 sec AVI in TMPGEnc Plus. It is video of a corporate pep rally type event with lots of dancing and skits and stuff. I tried encoding it with MainConcept MPEG encoder but could not get happy with the result. Then I remembered I had never done a 2-pass encode in TMPGEnc for anything other than testing purposes.

I fired up TMPGEnc Plus Saturday afternoon about 2:30 and loaded the AVI and maxed out every possible quality setting and noise reduction and all that for the 2-pass encode. The encode finished Sunday afternoon about 2:35PM. It took just over 24 hours to encode 17½ minutes of video on my P4 1.8Ghz. For the most part, the computer was relieved of everything else during the enocde. Only a few times did I go into other programs while the enode was running.

The good part is that the MPEG-2 looks GREAT. Much better than the single pass at 8000Kbps in MainConcept. To those of you who have TMPGEnc in you toolkit, don't forget about it. It just proved to me that its 2-pass encode is worth waiting for.

By the way, if that clip had been much longer, I probably would not have made maximum quality setting tweaks in TMPGEnc. I would not want to watch my system encode for a solid week.

Wow, that's a long time. My 2.4B (533MHz fsb) does a highest quality motion search 2-pass encode, 10 bits, etc.. but NO filters, of a 43 minute clip in about 7 hours.

The filter must put a heavy load on the cpu. Also, you probably have a Willamette processor with 256kb cache.
    - Mark

Core 2 Duo E6400 o/c 3.2GHz - Asus P5B Deluxe - 2048MB Corsair Twinx 6400C4 - ATI AIW X1900 - Seagate 7200.10 SATA 320GB primary - Western Digital SE16 SATA 320GB secondary - Samsung SATA Lightscribe DVD/CDRW- Midiland 4100 Speakers - Presonus Firepod - Dell FP2001 20" LCD - Windows XP Home

Comment

Re: TMPGEnc 2-Pass encode

Try filtering in VirtualDub, then framserve it to Tmpgenc. Filtering in Tmpgenc seems to be slower, at least for me.
      WinXP Pro/Win2K Pro
      Pentium 4 1.7 Abit TH7II-RAID
      HD (boot): Seagate Barracuda ATA IV 60GB
      HD (RAID-0): WD WD400BB 80GB (2x40GB)
      Kingston 256MB 800MHZ RDRAM
      ATI Radeon 8500 128MB
      Hauppauge Wintv #401
      Turtle Beach Santa Cruz

Comment

I probably did get a bit tweak-happy which made the encode very slow. I set the DC Component Precision to 10 Bits. I set the Motion Estimate to Highest Quality. I selected, Noise Reduction, Sharpen Edges and several other things that sounded good. The MPEG-2 looks pretty darn close to the original AVI. I really like TMPGEnc. Every time I use it I get the feeling I am making a legal-steal from the encoding gods or something.

Comment

Working...
        X