Over-smothness?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Over-smothness?

Today I've built a system for a friend, with a Radeon 9000 on it.
    To test that everything was allright, I've installed Return to Castle Wolfenstein and played it a bit.

The frame rate was really smoot, and as usual with first person shooters I've started feeling nausea and headeache. Ok, it's normal for me, seems that I can't physically handle this kind of game, dunno why.

This evening at home I've tried RtCW over my system (G400), so to see the old G spit blood...and apart for having a costant frame rate between 23 and 27 (with everything to the max), I've noticed I've not felt any nausea or such.

Anyone tried this before? Have I discovered "over-smothness" illness?
    Sat on a pile of deads, I enjoy my oysters.

Could be that head-bob was turned on with the Radeon system, and off with the G400.
    For me, if head-bob is turned on, I get the motion sickness thing, but I don't if it's turned off...
    Core2 Duo E7500 2.93, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, 4gig 1066 DDR2, 1gig Asus ENGTS250, SB X-Fi Gamer ,WD Caviar Black 1tb, Plextor PX-880SA, Dual Samsung 2494s

Comment

I would feel nausea too if I had an ATI! j/k

Were the monitors the same size? Was there any tearing in either system?Possibly the higher frame rate of the ati had a stroboscopic effect?
      Yeah, well I'm gonna build my own lunar space lander! With blackjack aaaaannd Hookers! Actually, forget the space lander, and the blackjack. Ahhhh forget the whole thing!

Comment

I have (or had) a possibly related issue with high frame rates. I used to play Descent with the keyboard on my 486/66, which could just about handle it at full detail. When I upgraded to a 486@160MHz, the frame rate went super-smooth, and for some reason it felt to me like I was travelling slower in the game. I used to subconciously push harder on the keys to compensate, and my fingers would start hurting in a short space of time.
        Blah blah blah nick blah blah confusion, blah blah blah blah frog.

Comment

It depends on all sorts of things - size of the monitor, proximity to the computer, other light sources in the room.
          Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

This is normal. When the game is just about smooth, you seem to realize more that this is not real.
            HZaving the movement real smooth causes the nausea for some people (me too, unfortunately) because of the differing information the brain gets from the eyes (which do say that there is rapid movement) and the organ of equilibrium which is located in the inner ear (which tells the brain that there is nearly no movement at all).

I had no problems whatsoever playing GLQuake on my Amiga, this was because it was only playing at 20-30 fps. I first got this motion sickness after I tried GLQuake again on the G400/Athlon500 which could of course render the game much faster/smoother.

So for some people smoothness is not only beneficial. But then if your Radeon is too fast you can always make it slower using appropriate FSAA and anisotropic settings, this should remove or lessen the sickness.
            But we named the *dog* Indiana...
            My System
            2nd System (not for Windows lovers )
            German ATI-forum

Comment

Headbobbing = SUPREME EVIL.

/cg_bobpitch 0
              /cg_bobroll 0
              /cg_bobup 0

Or if you're 100% psycotic, you can turn them UP from the defaults.

Comment

another thing to try, in Quake based games at least, is to adjust the field of view. With optical USB mouses, and cards capable of 60+ fps solid, I find increasing the FOV to about 110 degrees helps a lot, just makes aiming a bit more challenging On Q3 based games, I think it's cg_fov, default is 90 degrees.

Comment

fish view
                  If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

110 isn't fish view... 180 is though!

Comment

Working...
                    X