Using JavaScript to dynamically create a form

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Using JavaScript to dynamically create a form

I have a form which I would like to automatically be generated for me. Using server side is not an option - it must be run from my home folder basically.

So, JavaScript

I need to create <input name="MyChoice" value="bleh">

So, can I use JavaScript to dynamically write the above, or can it be done easily by using GET (i.e. input.htm?name=MyChoice) ?

Does that make any sense?

Thanks in advance, I'll clarify if needed.

P.

Erm... first thing that comes to mind is the document.writeIn type of thing...
    DM says: Crunch with Matrox Users@ClimatePrediction.net

Comment

Yeah, but can I write stuff on the fly? I want to type in "MyChoice", and change the name of that input field. Any other ideas on how to implement this are welcome, as in creating a more complex form?

Oh, this is a static page which I send to a perl script, the ones we have at the moment have "MyChoice" hardcoded - I'm trying to make that more flexible.

Edit: All I have to do is POST <tt> 'variable'="true"</tt> to a perl script, and I need to change 'variable'
      Last edited by Pace|Work; 14 March 2003, 13:08.

Comment

You can only change it with the document.writein when the page is loaded/refreshed. But you can force a refresh and send variables using the pagename.html?varName=value notation

Comment

Ok, and how do I get JS to use that variable - just call it as normal? (me runs off to test )

Edit: So far I have
          Code:
          &lt;form action="idchooser.htm" method="get"&gt;
            &lt;input type="text" name="id" value="EnterID"/&gt;
            &lt;input type="submit" /&gt;
          &lt;/form&gt;
          I should be able to get the form working once I have more time, if anyone has quick tips then drop them in though. Back later, cheers, P.

Edit 2: Updated the code, form is ok - how, how do I import get variables into my scripts?

Calling it directly calls an error, and if I declare "id" it just proved to be 'undefined'. Hohum...
          Last edited by Pace; 15 March 2003, 17:38.
          Meet Jasmine.
          flickr.com/photos/pace3000

Comment

Not sure i understood everything... but... if i did, this will do the thing... i already use it on some of my forms.

Well if all the fields you have to send are textbox, you could add a hidden textbox in which you'd concatenate all your fields and then do a document.location to call your perl page.

In more detail. You could add a textbox with the name=fieldname an other one with fieldvalue and an hidden third one field result. Then add 2 button one whould be concatenate and one send query. On the first one i'd do something like this.

if (txtresult != '')
            txtresult = txtresult + '&' + fieldname + '=' + fieldvalue;
            else
            txtresult = fieldname + '=' + fieldvalue;

The other button would have sonthing like this as code.

document.location = 'perl.pl?' + txtresult;

----------

To get the value of a field in a form... i put a name on the form... the i call document.forms.<formname>.<field>.value

example :

&lt;form name="test" action="#" method="get"&gt;
            &lt;input type="text" name="testfield"&gt;
            &lt;/form&gt;

document.forms.test.testfield.value = 'something';

If you need more help feel free to pm me.

Spazm
            Last edited by spazm_1999; 17 March 2003, 07:32.
            P3-667@810 retail, Asus CUSL2-C, 2*128 mb PC-133(generic), G400DH 16mb, SBLive value, HollyWood+, 1*Realtek 8029(AS) and 1*Realtek 8039C, Quantum 30g, Pioneer DVD-115f

Comment

Oh and there's a tutorial at

that show's exactly how to add and remove dynamic items on a form.

Spazm
              P3-667@810 retail, Asus CUSL2-C, 2*128 mb PC-133(generic), G400DH 16mb, SBLive value, HollyWood+, 1*Realtek 8029(AS) and 1*Realtek 8039C, Quantum 30g, Pioneer DVD-115f

Comment

Well, I can use forms to call a page via GET, which gives me:

idchooser.htm?id=12345

I need to use javascript to
                Code:
                document.write("&lt;input name=\"" + id + "\" value=\"inGroup\"&gt;");
                In other words, to output
                Code:
                &lt;input name="12345" valud="inGroup"&gt;
                I then have to POST that to the Perl script. This might still not work, as GET doesn't

So, as it stands, the problem is getting "idchooser.htm?id=12345" to create a variable that I can use in JavaScript. I should probably be able to do everything from that point on

P.
                Last edited by Pace; 17 March 2003, 09:30.
                Meet Jasmine.

Comment

Can you post up the code that you are trying to retrieve the GET passed variable with?

Comment

Code:
                    document.write("&lt;input name=\"" + id + "\" value=\"inGroup\"&gt;");

I presumed I would have to import the GET variable somehow though, and I did download something the other night, I'll just go find it...

Edit:
                    Code:
                    function getParams() {
                    	var idx = document.URL.indexOf('?');
                    	var params = new Array();
                    	if (idx != -1) {
                    		var pairs = document.URL.substring(idx+1, document.URL.length).split('&');
                    		for (var i=0; i&lt;pairs.length; i++) {
                    			nameVal = pairs[i].split('=');
                    			params[nameVal[0]] = nameVal[1];
                    		}
                    	}
                    	return params;
                    }
                    params = getParams();
                    This works erratically...
                    Last edited by Pace; 17 March 2003, 09:47.
                    Meet Jasmine.

Comment

That looks much more complicated than it needs to be I think... let me go check...

Comment

Yeah, that's taking every GET argument and putting it into an array - where the index is the name of the argument. (I think)
                        Meet Jasmine.

Comment

Are you just using the one variable pair? If so, then you can do it much more simply...

Comment

Yeah, just the one

Comment

window.location.search will return everything after the ? of the URL generated by the GET function. Unfortunately there doesn't appear to be a neat way to then split the name/value pairs from within this string.

For one pair only:

For more pairs, and a better description of what's going on:

Hopefully you should be able to get something reliable out of these...

Gnep

Comment

Working...
                              X