• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sf

Anybody here who reads SF?
    What are your favorite authors?

Mine are Herbert, Simmons and Gibson

Gurm?
    Sat on a pile of deads, I enjoy my oysters.

Douglas Adams

AC Clarke

Asimov I suppose

+ others...
    DM says: Crunch with Matrox Users@ClimatePrediction.net

Comment

Kurt Vonnegut Jr.
      Yeah, well I'm gonna build my own lunar space lander! With blackjack aaaaannd Hookers! Actually, forget the space lander, and the blackjack. Ahhhh forget the whole thing!

Comment

Henlein, Adams, Gibson, Stephenson.
        "And yet, after spending 20+ years trying to evolve the user interface into something better, what's the most powerful improvement Apple was able to make? They finally put a god damned shell back in." -jwz

Comment

Greg Bear, Dan Simmons (Hyperion is sooooo good ), Heinlein, Philip K Dick, Vonnegut

Comment

Asimov
            "They say that dreams are real only as long as they last. Couldn't you say the same thing about life?"

Comment

When I was younger I enjoyed Asimov. As I have aged, his work has... I'm not sure, it's just a bit too pat at this point. Maybe the whole "familiarity breeds contempt" thing.

Gibson is and always will be one of my favorite authors. I haven't picked up the latest book yet (the one about obscure web sites and the the girl who is tied into them in some bizarre way) but the others are well worn (and in some cases on my second or third copy).

Gibson coined my favorite word ever... "unf.uck". It's a verb. It's what you have to do after you f.uck something up. You have to unf.uck it. LOL.

Anyway, I am also a big fan of "hard" sci-fi. Lem, et al. I don't keep track of a lot of author's names, I've read so damn much.

Used to like Ellison, until I got old enough to realize what a pretentious ****ole he is.

Sterling is good too. Also, a series well worth a read is the Circuit's Edge series by George Alec Effinger (When Gravity Fails, A Fire in the Sun, etc.) which is about cyber-wetware type stuff but it's set in the middle east so it has this european-ish main character coping with the Muslim world around him... and it's sci-fi! It's pretty cool stuff.

Clarke is a bit stuffy. I almost can't read it any more. LOL.

Adams is only marginally sci-fi. It's a staple of my library, but I'm not sure I'd file it under Sci-Fi at all. It really belongs under "interdimensional comedy".

- Gurm
              The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
              If only life were as easy as you
              I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
              I would still get screwed

Comment

Ok you gotta take a look at the Ender's game series by Orson Scott Card. Very good...it is six books (I think) and I've just finished Children of the Mind...go give it a look, or maybe a read

~Sethos
                "...and in the next instant he was one of the deadest men that ever lived." – Mark Twain

Comment

Hehe you could always try the Star Wars books for a light read... there are loads of them.

Who was the guy who wrote "Falkenberg's Legion"? That was pretty good.

Edit: Jerry Pournelle wrote it.
                  DM says: Crunch with Matrox Users@ClimatePrediction.net

Comment

Gibson is great

Ian M Banks is excellent too.... 'Against a dark background' - the title tells you its dark!

Asimov was great - but I think its an early teen thing..... Same for Clarke... Same for 'doc' Smith

L Ron Hubbard is very entertaining - if you have your toungue in your cheek (he didnt!) - battlefield Earth was very funny

RedRed
                    Dont just swallow the blue pill.

Comment

Hm, every writer has at least one good book. For instance Frederik Pohl's Gateway is a good example. I admit I haven't read much more Pohl but the few I have seem to indicate that the rest isn't any good.
                      Asimov I guess kept writing good books all the way even if they were teen or preteen style.
                      Ah, whatever - just a thought.

Comment

I've read all that Card has ever written. Including his non-SF stuff ("Enchantment" was GREAT, especially if you are into Russian culture and/or Jewish culture).

- Gurm
                        The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
                        I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
                        I would still get screwed

Comment

Larry Niven and H.G. Wells.

Kevin

Comment

Hey, no Ray Bradbury? He's quite good..."it was a pleasure to BURN"

I also like John Brunner for his extremely vivid portrayals of world decadence...
                            All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy.

Comment

My favorites are Terry Brooks......all of his Shannara series books are good (met him last year, so cool!)
                              and David Eddings....wrote the Belgariad and the Mallorean series, which are fabulous.
                              The Star Wars books are really good (my favorite is the Courtship of Princess Leia by Dave Wolverton)
                              Just bought some Anne McCaffrey and Sara Douglas....will let ya know if they're any good.
                              I'm a genie in a bottle BABY, gotta rub ME the right way!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X